Topic: Best Rock Songs of the 80's  (Read 13338 times)

Offline amoacristo

• VIP / Subscriber
Best Rock Songs of the 80's
« on: January 30, 2005, 09:22 PM »
My youth group is doing an 80's night theme this Wednesday night and we are going to play a few 80's rock songs that night. They don't have to be Christian but the lyrics need to be acceptable. What are your favorites? My guitarist friend is coming to play with us and he can play anything. I was a very young kid in the 80's being as I was born in 79 so I was hoping some of you that really remember the 80's real well could give me some recommendations.

g00ch

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 11:41 PM »
not sure if its what your looking for but "The police" are a great 80's band.. Stewart copeland is the fuckin man.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 06:16 AM »
Everybody's Workin' for the Weekend by Loverboy

The best 80's song ever: Period!
 ;D

It even opens with COWBELL!!

a surfr uc

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 09:03 AM »
I'll agree with The Police. BTW did anyone see on melodicrock.com that Andy and Stewart are forming a band with the former lead singer of "The Outfield". Some are calling it the "New Police". Sounds prettty cool.

Journey had some great stuff. Speaking of The Outfield, their debut album has some nice tunes also. Like every decade, there was some crap but some gems too. Oh yeah - Saga had a hit with "On the Loose: - fun to play too.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 09:44 AM »
Best songs of the '80s?  Okay, so we don't have to acknowledge that there were any good songs during that decade, right?  Just kidding.  ;D

How about We Built This City?  Oops, kidding again.  ;D

ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Yes, Deep Purple, Sammy Hagar are just some artists who made big comebacks in the '80s.  I'd look at songs from any of these bands for ideas.

ritarocks

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 10:34 AM »
My youth group is doing an 80's night theme this Wednesday night and we are going to play a few 80's rock songs that night. They don't have to be Christian but the lyrics need to be acceptable.

hmmmm...acceptable lyrics...trying to think of popular songs, not necessarily my favorite, but some suggestions to help...
how about:
Journey "Separate Ways"
Bon Jovi "Livin on a Prayer", "Wanted Dead or Alive", "You give Love a Bad Name"
Yes "Owner of a Lonely Heart"
ZZ Top "Sharp Dressed Man"
Van Halen "Jump", Van Hagar stuff too off the 5150 album
Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane", "Big City Nights"
Def Leppard "Rock of Ages", stuff off the Hysteria album too...
Billy Idol "White Wedding"
Golden Earring "Twilight Zone", "Radar Love"...
Aerosmith...
Poison "Every Rose Has its Thorn"  <eeek, but people like it and its mellow>

<not sure if this stuff is too "metal-ly" for your event--is it?  Let me know so I can change gears a little!>

Offline amoacristo

• VIP / Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 11:04 AM »
You guys are awesome. Thanks for responding. Those were several of the groups I was looking at. I love 80's rock. Xena, quick question. Isn't the Van Halen song "Jump" about suicide? I don't know if that would work too well.

ritarocks

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 12:02 PM »
You guys are awesome. Thanks for responding. Those were several of the groups I was looking at. I love 80's rock. Xena, quick question. Isn't the Van Halen song "Jump" about suicide? I don't know if that would work too well.

I've never heard that...
[thinking to myself about the lyrics now... ;D ..."oh can't you see me standing here I've got my back against the record  <wreck-ed?> machine...I ain't the worst that you've seen...oh can't you see what I mean!...jump...might as well jump...go ahead and jump...]

hmmm... ???

I doubt it seriously, but then again you never know...I thought it was just about jumping around < ;D>, but then again I don't really think about the lyrics because I'm naturally more drawn to/focused on/listening to/analyzing the instruments.

What about some good ol Stevie Ray Vaughn...."The house is a Rockin'..."  ...Was Blue Oyster Cult "Burning for you" in the 80's?  
Triumph had it going on.  They were rockin, melodic and had the most positive lyrics.  

less metalish/more mainstream:
Toto "Africa",
Men At Work "Down Under"
Thomas Dolby "She Blinded Me..."
Rick Springfield...
Joan Jett "I Love Rock and Roll"
Phil Collins....
Duran Duran <more processed e-rock>

It just depends on what you like and what you consider "rockin" and non-cheesy, plus appropriate for the setting and musicians/available instrumentation. :)  I would imagine you want hit songs that most people know?  The ones with acceptable lyrics are usually more poppy.  May I suggest pulling up the charts for the 80's and just go through them with your band.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Below Xena's Sig line
It's too late
She's gone too far
She's lost the sun
She's come undone
Wow, I was just thinking about these lyrics when I saw your sig line.  <weird>  :o

a surfr uc

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 01:25 PM »
The Jump thing about suicide  ???....that's a new one. I have never heard that. BTW the drum part in the guitar lead is tricky so that'll give you an opporunity to stretch.  

I can't believe I forgot my favorite 80's band - Men at Work.- mentioned earlier. "Who Can It Be Now?". "It's A Mistake" etc. -  all classics!!

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Anyone remember Rather Be Rockin by Tantrum?  They were a Chicago band who made it sorta big for a while.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

sirdrumalot

Re:Best Rock Songs of the 80's
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 04:56 PM »
Girls just wanna have fun - Cindy Lauper

... Joke! I was just kidding, next time I go to a wedding I'm going to request that, and laugh at all the  people dancing.  ;) ;D

Some of the stuff Rush played in the 80's is pretty cool.

a surfr uc

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 05:31 PM »
Yeah - Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire - all fabulous albums! ;D

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 04:32 AM »
Yeah, a youth group playing an 80's theme night and a bunch of Rush tunes really looks like a possibility to me.  ::)

If you're looking for great songs, easy to play, with suitable lyrics, you can't look much further than U2 IMO.

Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 05:53 AM »
I can't stand Men at work ...

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 06:16 AM »
Yeah, especially when I am the man and someone makes me work!!

ba-dump Crash!

Offline Snowdogyyz

• Silver Member
  • Go Wolfpack!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 07:18 AM »
Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta, The Spirit of Radio- Rush
Anything by the Police.
I still be diggin' on James Brown.....
http://home.mindspring.com/~stevecarmichael/index.html

a surfr uc

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 07:23 AM »
....and playing Rush is so bad why? ::)

If you listen to some deeper cuts by Men at Work, you'll be suprised. I was - and their drummer, Jerry Speiser, was no slouch.

HDT

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 11:06 AM »
My Sharona by the Knack.   That song ushered in a new era of rock on the radio... helped remind all those people in their disco stupor ::) ;D what it was all about!  It may be a little cheesy now, but I still like hearing it.  8)

Offline Filacteria

• Bronze Member
  • Seasoned Rookie
    • Filacteria
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 12:05 PM »
Some of Petra's best work was done in the 80's - "Creed", "I Am On The Rock", "Beyond Belief", "God Gave Rock N' Roll To You"...  Dig a little - you're bound to find some gems...

I must also concede - U2 is nearly unbeatable in the "Almost Christian" genre:  "Pride", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "I Will Follow"....

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!