Topic: Best Rock Songs of the 80's  (Read 13341 times)

DaveGink

Re:Best Rock Songs of the 80's
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Here's a couple off the top of my head. Not necessarily "the best" of the 80's but these tend to be crowd pleasers and pretty safe:

Turn up the Radio - Autograph
Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams

sirdrumalot

Best Rock Songs of the 80's
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 01:59 PM »
Yeah, a youth group playing an 80's theme night and a bunch of Rush tunes really looks like a possibility to me.  ::)

If you're looking for great songs, easy to play, with suitable lyrics, you can't look much further than U2 IMO.

It's not like I grew up in the 80's.  ;)

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 06:15 PM »
Wow, these guys just turned on a whole flood of memories!  I spent the 80's in high school and college so I've pretty much got that decade in my bones.  Those are great tunes, but some might be hard to find to listen to let alone getting sheet music for them - unless you get signed up for Napster and gather everyone around the computer to listen...

Don't forget Rock Lobster by the B-52's!  Total crowd pleaser!  Debo's Whip It might work, but I think that came out in 79 if that matters any...  Anything by Huey Lewis will be instantly recognizable too.  

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Darn, now I've got a bunch of 80's tunes in my head!  Whip It appears to be 1980 according to one source...  How about songs like Shout or Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears?  or anything by Duran Duran?  or - or - or!!!!  AAAAAAAAAHH!!!   Sorry, I've got to go now!!!

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 11:59 PM »
My Sharona by the Knack.
The only thing is this song came out in '79

Offline Funkadrummer

• Silver Member
  • Chad Smith in the Making!
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing" is one of my favorite 80's toons.

mediablamer

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 10:12 PM »
If you're looking for 80's songs, Weird Al Yankovic may be a great resource. I can't listen to my local 80's station without hearing several songs that he parodied, and we've already mentioned 3 in this thread. The polka medleys include even more classic 80's tunes. So, if you're trying to think of stuff from the 80's, check out  http://www.alsongs.com]http://www.alsongs.com . In 3D, Polka Party, Even Worse, UHF Soundtrack, Dare to Be Stupid, the self-titled album, and Off the Deep End should all have some good ideas on there. By Alapalooza, I think all or most of the parodies are from 90's songs. If you want to go in the rock direction, this might not be the best approach, as most of his parodies are of pop songs. Nonetheless, it's a great way to find ideas for 80's music.

Offline mudpuppy

• Cafe VIP
  • Invest wisely. Spend it on yourself!
    • Mudpuppy - The Band
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Nobody has mentioned The Cars! We still do "Just What I Needed" and everyone loves it! They are 80's right? At my age everything seems to blend together in a blur.
mp ;)

DoubleC

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2005, 09:45 AM »
I play in a 80's cover band.  

Even though My Sharona came out in 79, we still enjoy playing it.

How about these?

"Don't You Forget About Me" - Simple Minds
"867-5309" - Tommy Tutone
"Melt With You" - Modern English
"Footloose" - Kenny Loggins
"Just Like Heaven" - The Cure
"Tenderness" - General Public
"Come On Eileen" - Dexy's Midnight Runners
"In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel
"What I Like About You - The Romantics
"Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol

If you have a female singer, these are fun to play:

"Walking On Sunshine" - Katrina & the Waves
"One Way or Another" - Blondie
"Call Me" - Blondie
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper

ProudArmenian

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005, 01:18 PM »
I do not know if this can be considered rock, but I love Master of Puppets and Fade to Black by Metallica. I'm not really much into the 80's music scene but Metallica and Guns N Roses are good from that era...

HDT

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2005, 11:07 AM »
Yes DoubleC & Jeepndrummer... My Sharona did indeed come out in the summer of 1979, but out in the trenches (night clubs and bars all across America) where I was making a living in the late 70s and 80s, My Sharona was a staple of most set lists for another year or more... 1980 or even '81.  That's why I included it as an 80s classic. ;) 8)

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2005, 11:28 AM »
i was still groovin' on 60s and 70s music in the 80s coz i wasn't big on too much of that music, but i did kinda like the clash, the pretenders, u2, the cars, thomas dolby [purely for dance purposes], gary newman?? [maybe that was '79 -- he had that big hit, 'car'], b-52s, king, the cure, the cult and probably a lot of those one-hit wonder tunes ["99 luft balloons, or whatever it was; i kinda liked the video].

now when i hear that stuff i get a wee nostalgic, but that's only coz i'd do anything to be 20 again!
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Yes DoubleC & Jeepndrummer... My Sharona did indeed come out in the summer of 1979, but out in the trenches (night clubs and bars all across America) where I was making a living in the late 70s and 80s, My Sharona was a staple of most set lists for another year or more... 1980 or even '81.  That's why I included it as an 80s classic. ;) 8)
That's what I figured.  :)

I remember all too well when that song came out, because I was totally smitten with a coworker who loved it.  Brings back memories.

Offline Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2005, 12:09 PM »
We just started doing My Sharona. You got to love a song where the hihat doesn't come in until 1/2 way through the song.
Now let's go out there and melt some faces!

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2005, 08:29 PM »
I play in a 80's cover band.  
How about these?

"Don't You Forget About Me" - Simple Minds
"867-5309" - Tommy Tutone
"Footloose" - Kenny Loggins
"Come On Eileen" - Dexy's Midnight Runners
"In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel
"What I Like About You - The Romantics
"Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol

There's some good ones!  good call!  Especially 867-5309!! Jennie Jennie YYEeeaaahhh!  Love it!  

OK.  I have my composure back...

PS:  How many of you were mad when the movie (I think it was "Say Anything") came out and used In Your Eyes as the theme song and the pop stations started playing it calling it "new" when the tune had been out for years.....   Yes, I have issues.....

DWdrmr

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2005, 08:38 PM »
When I read the title of this post I'm thinking.....the '80,uh,gee,man.....not a real good time for musicIMHO ,but some good things came out. some kits sounding like carboard boxes.......But,what about Pat Benatar's band? Nobody's mentioned them. That drummer was a real smoker,not to mention the guitar player(who she married).Saw those two on Emeril Live cooking show playing during breaks.......uh,don't worry,younger guys,if you survive your youth,you'll be watching cooking shows when you get older,too!...

LuvmyLeedy

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 12:46 AM »
how about some talking heads, or the smiths, the eurythmics, new order or the psychedelic furs. those were truly eighties bands.

Offline Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 07:44 AM »
But,what about Pat Benatar's band? Nobody's mentioned them. That drummer was a real smoker

Myron Grombacher played with Pat on virtually all of her hits.

A monster player.
"What one man can do, another can do."
-Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkin's character from the 1997 movie, The Edge)

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 07:50 AM »
"The Final Countdown" by Europe is the ultimate 80's rocjk song.  Either that or "Still Loving You" by the Scorpions.  ;D

Also, someone mentioned Thomas Dolby.  He put out a single "I Love You Goodbye" in the early 90's that is one of my favorite songs.  In fact, I'm listening to it now!
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

Offline Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Haven't seen REM mentioned.

I've played-
Can't Get There From Here
Radio Free Europe
Driver 8
I am Superman
Now let's go out there and melt some faces!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!