Topic: sampling your fine collection  (Read 1138 times)

OldGuyAl

sampling your fine collection
« on: February 15, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Bart - I know you have a massive collection of percussion instruments.  I'm pretty sure you have access to one or more good studios.  All of that is a prelude to this question:
Have you ever recorded samples that could be used with a Roland SPD-S?  If not, would you consider it?

I'm seriously considering purchasing one in the very near future but, I'm not happy with all that comes with it and I lack the pro-quality studio setup (not to mention all the instruments) to get the samples I want.  I could give you a list of what I'd like to have sampled and it's nothing too exotic.   I'm thinking that you could produce CDs with these samples and probably realize a profit while selling them at a pretty reasonable price.

What about it?  Maybe you've already done it?  

I freely admit to being even less than an actual newbie with this kind of stuff - I touched my first one today.  I think I could learn to get it set up the way I want it but I was particularly disappointed with both the variety and quality of the bell sounds.   You answered a question for me (I think it was you) about concert toms - well, this may be my answer to the concert tom dilema, too.  Keep in mind that I would plan to use this only for live shows - not in the studio so, I think the basic quality of sound is there and I already own a very high-quality small PA system for rehearsal and small performances.   If I could only be sure I could get the samples I wanted, I'd buy it tomorrow!

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 10:16 AM »
First of all, thanks for the interest in my percussion collection!

I record a lot of drum and percussion tracks right here at my home studio. The quality is great, so there's no need for me to go elsewhere.

I've recorded everything from single shots to full on loops for several companies who produce Sample CDs. I've also sampled my instruments for my own use in both live and studio situations. I'm not interested (at this time) in making these samples available to other individuals. The samples of my instruments is what gives me an edge in the music biz, simply because there are some unique sounds and effects ... things that no one else has or offers.

There are a LOT of companies offering percussion samples ... which you can use with the Roland SPD-S. I know it gets expensive, but you can buy a nice collection of sounds within one CD collection. And these are just single shots (hits), many are velocity controlled samples ... which is what you want if you want it to sound real. It takes a lot of time to create these types of samples ... getting it just right so that it sounds fluid from sample to sample.

If I were to provide samples of my own instruments, the cost would be much higher than what you pay if you purchased several Sample CD collections.

I appreciate your interest and understand what you would be using them for ... but once I release the samples, there's nothing I could do to stop someone from sharing them or using them in recordings. I'm prepared to mess with this at this time ... especially since there are numerous Sample CDs on the market that provide what you would need.

Again, thanks for your interest. I'll let you know if I should change my mind in the near future.  8)

OldGuyAl

Sampling follow-up question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Can you recommend a CD that I should buy?

Being much more specific now, I am in need of high quality samples for really just two things right now:  a set of 4 concert toms  and a set of 5 (or more) wooden temple blocks .   Just single-hit samples that I can assign to pads.   I really need these ASAP.

I have spent hours on the web looking at various CD offerings of samples and haven't found any one CD that looks promising - a couple out there *might* have what I want but they are kind of expensive to buy just to see if it's got what I want.   I don't mind paying a fair price if I can get what I need.

Thanks!
Al

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Unfortunately I'm not up on specific sample collections that would provide you with what you need. What I would suggest is to check with some of the suppliers of sample libraries. Use  http://www.google.com]Google.com  to do some searching and listening.

The problem you are going to run into is that the majority of these libraries are not going to be single shots/hits. You'll also have to purchase a collection of samples, and not just the ones that you really need right now.

I personally have Big Fish Audio's London Orchestral Percussion collection, which has some incredible sounds, including the samples you are needing, but the collection lists for $399.95 and only comes in AKAI or GigaSampler formats. Furthermore, the Concert Tom samples are lacking in that they don't include forte or fortissimo hits; the loudest hit sounds like mezzo-forte (to my ears). I was really frustrated with this ... not to mention that the AKAI format collection is missing numerous instrument samples. I plan to review this product in the near future, and it won't be completely positive.

I'm sorry that I can't be of further assistance. Do some checking around; you may find some single hit samples for Concert Toms and Temple Blocks ... without having to buy entire collections.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!