Topic: Brush with Greatness?  (Read 12465 times)

Offline KevinD

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • My Space/bigwedge.com
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2005, 03:07 PM »
kev, i recently caught a pic of sean and yoko, and i bugged-out at how much he looks like his dad. it's like an asian john lennon. truly a trip.

but what i really wanna know is -- how'd ya swing the upper west side, and drum-o-dad the hamptons?? drummers aren't supposed to live high on the hog!! :D

(lost my connection earlier so I couldn't finish the post!!)

I was struck by how much he looked like his dad. At 1st I thought it was a couple dressing up like them but as I got closer I noticed it was the real deal.

As far as living on the UWS, nice hood, I had good timing and good luck finding my place. I'm sure my hovel is just slightly smaller than what Sen and Yoko go home to  :)

Good deals are out there but luck plays a large part of it I'm afraid.   :-\

"If it weren't for Thomas Edison we'd all be watching TV in the dark." - Attributed to various people over the years.

http://www.myspace.com/bigwedge

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29 PM »
   By the way, does his wife use a prosthetic leg to be able to ride a bike? I would assume that would have to be the case. I remember trying to pedal a bike with one leg as a kid just for fun......not easy, it's amazing what can be done nowadays.

Yes she does. Its how I was sure it was him. She had one long and one short pant leg. Wasnt sure at first, but I knew to look for the artificial limb.
One of the guitar players in the cover band I am in lives right next to him,they share a property line so maybe he could hook me up.
Paul also likes to bowl,a friend of mine is a barkeep at the local alley,so I gave him a head to keep there,just in case.

Later that day I went to the annual Writers/Artists softball game in town,met Former N.Y.city mayor Rudy Gulliani,he was officiating the game.I asked him if it was easier to call a softball game or run the city,he said the city is easy compared to these games.

That night I went to the local music venue,Stephen Talkhouse,saw the Spin Doctors,cool guys,another autographed drumhead on the wall.
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 10:36 PM »
, and drum-o-dad the hamptons?? drummers aren't supposed to live high on the hog!! :D

If you call this high on the hog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I live in an area called Springs,its the slum of East Hampton.
I was working out here all the time,the guy I was doing work for helped me get a lot and I did the house myself almost ten years ago. I could not afford to buy the land now,as the prices out here have skyrocketed.
Still pounding nails by day and drums by night.

Anyone want to rent a room?
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline random

• Platinum Member
  • Seriously, I love the Drummer Cafe.
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 06:11 PM »
I met Larry McDonald, conga player for Dub is a Weapon, in a  restroom at one of their concerts.  GREAT guy.  We talked shop for a few minutes and then he left.  My aunt met him later in the smoking area outside and agreed that he was a really cool dude.

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
Re:Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 07:06 PM »
hmm...

in high school, i ran into warren burger at a model UN conference.  had no idea who he was, until my friend's dad stammered, "shake his hand!".  :P

and like kev, and smoggs, you see a few celebs every now and again.  as the cliche goes, its unavoidable.  

halloween, i saw Mike D and his pops near Father Demo square.  totally cool, and really nice to his pops i might add.  complemented Ice T on his very cool tracksuit, which he wore in 99 degree weather, and yet didnt break a sweat.  also, nearly jammed w/ Richard Gere (avid guitarist) at Matt Umanov's, but couldnt get by his rather large body guard.  ;D

but coolest of all was working literally side by side w/ Kathleen Turner and Daniel Day Lewis @ St. Vincent's Hospital during 9/11.  super emotional time, and they were in just as much as we were.  8)
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Crash

Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 10:09 PM »
In highschool I used to work at a Wendy's restaurant on highway 401.  I have served quite a few celebs burgers.  To name a few : Alice Cooper - he actually is Mr. nice guy, Dave Mustaine, Kingdom Come - actually ate dinner with them at 3 AM - really cool guys, Ben Johnson - (Canadian athlete stripped of his gold medal for steroid use), C.C. Deville of Poison, Colin James, Jeff Healey and Kenny Rogers!!!  Luckily I wasn't working the day Warrant came through!   ;D

Offline Roger Beverage

• VIP / Subscriber
    • Victory Swing Band
Brush with Greatness?
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 07:29 PM »
World reknowned jazz bassist Cecil McBee summers in my home town and often comes into the store where I work days.  Can't get him to sit in with the band though  8)

Roger

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram