Topic: Using Metronome to Practice to Recorded CDs  (Read 846 times)

flyerorange

Using Metronome to Practice to Recorded CDs
« on: May 26, 2005, 12:39 PM »
Hello.....I have greatly improved on time, now that I use my metronome for all practicing. My bandmates have noticed, and we all sound better.

My question.....when you listen to recorded CDs of famous bands, is it common that the time is not "perfect," if they didn't record to a click?

I've been trying to play to some of my CDs with my metronome. I notice that as some songs on the cd progress, the time stops jiving with the metronome. (It's not my battery). It throws me off, and I start again.

I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks.  8)

Paul DAngelo

• Cafe VIP
  • Greybeard
    • Paul D'Angelo
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Well, I usually play along with CDs OR with a click, but not both.  Depending on the musicians involved, there may have been a click when recording, but then again, there may have been no click.  Since a difference between, for example, 118bpm and 120bpm is only 2 beats per MINUTE, I would think it could be very difficult to "match up" your click with the timing on a CD to begin with.  

flyerorange

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 12:58 PM »
I appreciate it.  I was getting a little frustrated on a couple songs, because I thought I was inconsistent.  I guess it's better to either play with the metronome, or play along to the cd w/o the metronome.  Thank you.

Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 08:33 PM »
....is it common that the time is not "perfect," if they didn't record to a click?

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Is there anything wrong with it?  Only if it detracts from the tune.  

I'll try to find the thread on this board about tempos moving up or down in a tune, and people's thoughts on it.  Or YOU could search for it.

Nevermind.  here is one such discussion.

http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=13865;start=msg155708#msg155708]http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=13865;start=msg155708#msg155708

marker

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:52 PM »
In earlier days, no one had Pro Tools, clicks, loops, or anything like that.  They just played the tune over and over until they had a "keeper".

You can bet that the time was less than perfect, but nobody cared if the tune was grooving and sounded good.

One thing you can do if you have some old vinyl is to play the begining of a track, then pick up the needle and skip to the end.  Often, you'll find that the band has sped up.

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram