• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Pouplar songs with odd-time signature?!

Started by ZilBel, May 10, 2005, 08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart Manley

Quote from: shoeless on May 10, 2005, 10:52 AMAmerica from West Side Story

That's in 6/8, so it's not odd.  ;)

QuoteOutkast's "Hey Ya" three measures of 4/4 one measure of 2/4 and then two measures of 4/4 again. So what's that? 22/4

No. It's three measures of 4/4 one measure of 2/4 and then two measures of 4/4.

Jon E

Doesn't "Four Sticks" by Zepellin start out in 5/4?

sletti

the ahghan whigs "i'm her slave" is 3/4
"leper messiah" by metallica is 5/4 and you can even hear lars count it out in 5.
"mars, bringer of war" by holst is a cool classical tune in 5/4.

ZilBel

thanks guys, but apartanly its not that easy to find popular songs in odd-time (which are not prog or metal).  

Do you might have more ideas? I cant fill an hour....  Doesnt Paul Simon have something in odd time? I remeberd another song by temple of the dog and maybe Dave Matthews' Satellite which mostly 6/8 and some bars of 9/8... but it isnt what im looking for....

anyways, while you at it, try listening to the link im adding, its a cool funky song By "Right on Time" called Glee. (chours is on 5/8...... :))

Enjoy.
(if you have new ideas please post them here)

http://stage.co.il/media/rightontime414315.mp3

Jon E

I guess it depends on your meaning of the word "popular".  If you mean "popular" in the sense that it is played on Western, mainstream, Top 40 radio, then NO you aren't likely to find much.  If you mean popular as in "popular with drummers", I could give you a list as long as my arm.

The tunes I listed for you are things I thought the "average" person MAY have heard a time or two in their life--even if they weren't familiar with the composer/band.

taterocity

Most late 70's early 80's Rush has a lot of odd time.

Heck! Why not Dream Theater? I don't think they've ever even written a 4/4 measure.

"Paranoid Android" by Radiohead is mostly (if not all) in 7/8

A lot stuff on Kid A and Amnesiac is odd and "2+2=5" from their latest (which was a single, I believe) is in 7/8 as well.

A lot of Police, some Genesis, even (gasp) Coldplay plays with some time on their albums.

Hey you could even play one of my bands, Motiema, we got a lot of odd time. Lol...nevermind.

taterocity

Also from Soundgarden, "Outshined" is 7/4

KevinD

The Allman Brothers."Whipping Post" is a Classic Rock radio staple.  Haven't heard it in a while but there are some interesting measures of 11/8 in the theme and the song has a very cool 6/8 type feel throughout.

Drumodad

The Core by Eric Clapton,of course its Gadd playing.

DougB

Odd time signatures = not popular on radio

radio stations want to play standard 4/4 songs that the non-musician appreciates

especially if they want any danceability

Adam's Dad

My favorite Soundgarden tune - Fell on Black Days - 7/4.

DaveGink

Eskil Sæter

Quote from: sletti on May 10, 2005, 01:10 PM
"leper messiah" by metallica is 5/4 and you can even hear lars count it out in 5.

That's just a joke. The song is in 4/4

sletti

hmmm..ok.  i wasn't basing that statement on the count at the beginning; it always seemed like actual 5/4 to me.  i've certainly been wrong before.

a surfr uc

Well by odd time if you mean anything not 4/4, there's our National Anthem  ;D

Murder By Numbers (The Police)has some crazy modulations over the bar - my band used to play it and people loved it.

A Perfect Circle has some interesting but they're kinda "proggy". Why are you avoiding prog? That genre is "chockful" o' odd times.

TamaDrummer

QuoteAlso, check out Tool's Lateralus.  There's a lot of 5/4  as well as some 7/4 on that disc.

I believe this would fit in with the prog-rock category he is trying to avoid.  However, the album does have a lot of odd times.  

I believe its "Lateralus" the song, wherein much of the song is phrased:
9-8-7

Very cool stuff in my opinion.

Staind-So Far Away (in 3)

chillman4130

I will second Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" and The Beatles' "All You Need is Love" and "Here Comes The Sun" because they are some of the most "pop" of all the songs listed here.

Drumodad

a surfr uc

How about Baracuda by Heart? It was popular and they snuck n a few measures of 7.