Topic: Drums & Fire!  (Read 12397 times)

TaAqPrMaSa

Drums & Fire!
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:09 AM »
okay, this might seem like a bad idea but im trying to find a safe whay to set my heads and cymlas on fire. ive been researching paffin and how it burns at a really low heat and i need to do this for a drum solo. it will rock some socks. problem is i dont exactly know what would be the best approach to this. i figured i could throw paraffin in some form everywhere and start it all up with flaming sticks also covered in paraffin. but im worried about splash and the heads. i figured i could put the paraffin on my studio rings since i dont mind if some peices of ten dollar plastic get melted. just not my 30 dollar aquarian heads. i need input! please!

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 09:13 AM »
When I was young and foolish ...  :-\ ... I set my drumheads on fire using Rubbing Alcohol. The only problem was when I applied the alcohol to the Floor Tom drumhead which had dents in it. The alcohol pooled up and thus burned a hole right through the drumhead.

This topic has been discussed a bit in the past. You might want to search the database if you don't get any responses here.

Offline Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 09:21 AM »
Are you planning on doing this in public? Because the local Fire Marshal might have a view or two on the matter...  ;)

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 09:28 AM »
Yeah ... I'd be worried about not only the fire marshall and/or burning down the club killing innocent people ... but the burning wax could drip all over you and, well, you hopefully know the rest.

Just blow the audience away with some great drumming; the results will last longer, and it's certainly a lot safer.

TaAqPrMaSa

Re:Drums & Fire!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 09:43 AM »
well its not at a club. its at my schooland im trying to find a way to do it so it doesnt drip but still saves my heads and doesnt burn too hot that it ruins my cymbals. there is going to be great drumming. i just wanted to end my senior year with something awesome thats never been seen there before and show off what ive been good at that nnoone knew much about. i just wanted to end it with a bang but not put one in my wallet. its for the senior banquet and theres a talent show so i signed up.

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
    • The Rock 92.3 House Band
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:46 AM »
If you set fire to your drums at school, you'll be immediately EXPELLED without question or hesitation! Go buy a good strobe light or two. Don't get kicked out of school and possibly scared for life over a silly drum solo!
I don't solo!

Offline Marcos

• Cafe VIP
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 09:48 AM »
My advice is to be sure you rehearse your act a few times. Have friend with hose at the ready.

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:52 AM »
My advice is to be sure you rehearse your act a few times. Have friend with hose at the ready.

My advice is if you want to graduate with your class and get your diploma is to dump the fire idea all together. I know you think it's a cool idea, but playing with piro without proper training, permission, licensing and equipment is how people get killed. You will be arrested and sent to jail if you set anything on fire at your school my friend! You can take that to the bank!
I don't solo!

TaAqPrMaSa

Drums & Fire!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:56 AM »
okay, first off i am clearing it with the school., second im using paraffin, it burns at 45 degrees. and if i do do it im going to definitely try it out first. im trying to find the sfest way possible. no exceptions. fire twirlers use paraffin because they dont gvet burned when the screw up so thats probably the safest way to go.

Offline Jim Martin (cavanman)

• Cafe VIP
  • "And I do the Cha-Cha like a little sissy Girl"
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 10:00 AM »
well its not at a club. its at my schooland im trying to find a way to do it so it doesnt drip but

Yeahhh...ummm :P

Not to get too personal, but if you were a loved one of mine and I heard you were going to try some of this fire stuff..I'd be over your place yelling and screaming at you...perhaps even more.
The recent Great White incident comes to mind,
where people were killed and hurt (including but not limited to band members) with pyrotechnics handled supposedly by people in the know.

I know the feeling of wanting to make a special last stand, but man, fire is really dangerous and causes painful and permanent scarring or death when it gets out of hand. Something that could easily happen in a moment of passionate drumming. Right? So DON'T DO IT. Sorry if that's the Dad in me talking. I just know that there are people in your life who would be devastated by an accident.

Maybe getcha' some of those glow in the dark sticks. That would be cool enough.

Or like Bart said, impress them with your drumming. It's the difference between seeing Thomas Lang or Steve Smith solo - and the end of a a Kiss concert. ;)

IMHO..with love and God Bless! OK?

Jim
"I like-uh....dooo....da cha-cha..."

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Fire is fire. It burns. When you put fire on a percussion instrument and strike it, it sprays everywhere. Fire twirlers do their act on the football field OUTSIDE! You can not set fire inside the building with out a licensed pyro-technician and the fire department on the premises. The school will NOT give you permission to set fire to your drums my young friend. Go get some strobe lights and ask them to cut the house lights while you have at it. I happen to have a licensed pyro-tech working with me right here. I ran sound at a fireworks show two weeks ago. Would you like to call him and ask him yourself? Send me your email addy and Ill give you his number.
I don't solo!

Offline James Walker

• Cafe VIP
    • malletjazz
    • www.malletjazz.com
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 10:06 AM »

NO!

DON'T DO IT AT ALL!!!!

Good God - when did people stop teaching their children that it's a horrible idea to play with fire?

Besides...and I hesitate to mention this, because I don't want to give ANY credibility to the idea of using fire for this "act" - not all fires can be put out with water.  Have you ever seen what happens when you spray water on a grease fire?  It doesn't put the fire out - it just sends the grease flying everywhere, and the grease takes the fire along for the ride.

My advice is to shelve the whole idea of using open flame or accellerants.  There are ways to create visual effects without putting people and property at risk.  It's a stupid, foolish idea.

To our original poster:  you're a senior in high school, which means you must be old enough to remember the fire at the club in Providence a few years back.  Those were (supposed) "professionals" using pyrotechnic elements, and when things went horribly wrong, people died.  Fire isn't something to be treated frivolously - it's dangerous, and it can get out of control in the blink of an eye.

"I played with Holdsworth, Fripp, and Belew...I wish we drummers could play that differently. Drummers are starting to homogenize into the same guy, which frightens me." - Bill Bruford

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
Drums & Fire = Hospital & Jail
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 10:08 AM »
well its not at a club. its at my schooland im trying to find a way to do it so it doesnt drip but still saves my heads and doesnt burn too hot that it ruins my cymbals. there is going to be great drumming. i just wanted to end my senior year with something awesome thats never been seen there before and show off what ive been good at that nnoone knew much about. i just wanted to end it with a bang but not put one in my wallet. its for the senior banquet and theres a talent show so i signed up.

LOL ... yeah, you'll end your senior year with something awesome alright ... a trip to the emergency room from third-degree burns, then straight to jail. Then you'll get to go back to high school once you are released because you were expelled you and never actually graduated.

+ = and no

Good luck ... and Happy Graduation!

P.S. There is no way the school will even let you do this. Like I said, play well, that and will be enough.

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 10:10 AM »
As much as I love my drums and as much as they cost, I would never even consider bringing fire anywhere near them.  I just don't get it.  If I was to see someone do that I would think "What an Idiot" not "wow he rocks"

Just my two cents
You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 10:10 AM »
I'm ditto with James! Bad bad idea and you should just play! Rent some lighting bro.
I don't solo!

Offline David Crigger

• Honorary VIP
    • www.davidcrigger.com
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 10:15 AM »
The advice you need is that the fact that you are concerned about your $30 heads show you are completely unprepared to deal with the ramifications of such a stunt. Maybe its time to step back and say "Whew! What was I thinking? That was a really dumb idea." and move on.

Movie stunt guys train for years on this stuff and then sweat the details of each gag for days or weeks before attempting them AND THEN GUYS STILL GET INJURED.

I've worked with jugglers and other variety acts that used flame and they all used proven pro rigs and took it very seriously (and still many of them had some ugly scars you could see when you got up close).

You say the drumming's going to be great - then go for it as a drummer and show your talent...as a drummer, not as a wannabe circus act. It would be a shame to lose your talent to scarred up hands and/or a messed up face that you're too bummed to show outside your house.

David

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 10:23 AM »
okay, first off i am clearing it with the school., second im using paraffin, it burns at 45 degrees.

I've already found a huge flaw in your idea! You are dead wrong about that my friend! Parrafin wax burns at 2,552 degrees fahrenheit. Just dump the fire idea and move on.  ;)
I don't solo!

TaAqPrMaSa

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 10:24 AM »
id wear a scar, but i wanted to be safe aboiut the whole thing with very low burning paraffin.not flames 2 feet high. the school wouldnt burn the audience wouldnt burn and my drums wouldnt burn and i would never dream of using a liquid because that is a dumb idea. the fire would be around the heads not in the middle and it would be extinguished quickly soon after. i didnt even imagine doing this without school approval first so theres no wory about graduation. this isnt gasoline or alcohol of any sort. but since ive been vehemently fumed against the whole thing i will most likely reconsider.

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 10:30 AM »
id wear a scar, but i wanted to be safe aboiut the whole thing with very low burning paraffin.not flames 2 feet high. the school wouldnt burn the audience wouldnt burn and my drums wouldnt burn and i would never dream of using a liquid because that is a dumb idea. the fire would be around the heads not in the middle and it would be extinguished quickly soon after. i didnt even imagine doing this without school approval first so theres no wory about graduation. this isnt gasoline or alcohol of any sort. but since ive been vehemently fumed against the whole thing i will most likely reconsider.

I recently worked with an act that used multimedia and pyrotechnics in the show.

The fire marshall in each city we played had to come out and inspect what we planned to do, then we had to demo what we were going to do. Then and only then did the fire marshall approve ... and I believe it cost the act money just to get the fire marshall out there ... not to mention the wasted pyrotechnics that was used for each trial. Keep in mind ... this wasn't even open flames!

It doesn't matter how safe YOU think it is, and it doesn't matter if someone else has done it before. The fact is that YOU have never done it before, have experience to draw from, and you are not trained to do it.

Something that is done outdoors is COMPLETELY different than indoors.

I used to shoot pyrotechnics for an outdoor show back in the early 80's, and the ONLY way I was able to handle the stuff was with the licensed pyrotechnician training me and signing off on each event. He was responsible for following the codes.

So ... I think you are wise to just let it go. I applaud your desire to be creative, but find other methods to do so. Like I said, if the drumming is going to be great ... seeing that you've been playing for as long as you have ... then that should be enough for a high school senior.

By the way ... welcome to the Drummer Cafe!  ;)

Offline Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
Drums & Fire!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I realise we collectively look like the Square People from the Planet Square, but there's a reason for it. Fire is scary.

If you're set on doing something spectacular (other than displaying your chops and musicality), there are alternatives. Two spring to mind:

1. You can get proper, tested, licensed, approved small scale pyrotechics. These are the sorts of things used in small stage magic acts. Electrically started, they go off with a loud (but safe) bang and a nice flash. There are still rules (minimum safe height above, distance from people, etc). They could be triggered at the end or key points of the solo.

2. Bright stage lights, mounted on the floor, pointing up through your toms. Trigger to flash in time with hits during the solo. Simon Phillips, for example, has his two kick drums lit from the front, and those lights flash while he's doing double-bass work. Looks great. Again, there'll be safety things to think about (lights run hot, strobe effects, spills on hot lights make big bangs and broken glass, and so on). But the kind of lights used for the average "domestic" disco would look great if the house lights and the rest of the stage lights were down.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram