Topic: Ozzfest in Philly Today  (Read 2307 times)

forgetfuljonesdw

Ozzfest in Philly Today
« on: July 19, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Ok so Ozzfest is today in Philly, I won't be going, but thought it a good time to pay tribute to some of these Metal drummers.  Let's be serious, you can have chops and great technique, but these guys live the dream of most drummers! Most of them beat the @&$! out of their kits.  Ok so that can be said about most of these guys, but I want to turn you older rockers out there who still drool over Megadeth and Iron Maiden, to the new generation in Metal and Rock Drumming.  The Reverend (Yes, they call him the Reverend!) from a band called Avenged Sevenfold - this guy is incredible! Best footwork I have ever heard - and I've been drumming for 12 years.  Among their whole album "City of Evil", I'd like to turn you on to a song called The Beast and the Harlot (if that name is not metal, than I dont know what is).  He's got this sick fill about 2 and a half minutes through that just blows my mind! Another guy, Jason Bittner (I think its Bittner)  from a band called Shadows Fall has great feet and one of the most explosive styles I've ever heard.  It's true we must pay tribute to our heroes, but nobody on here ever talks about the new guys in town, namely those that can beat the crap out of their kits and take names!  Take a look at these guys, get past their look and appreciate the musicianship.  

www.avengedsevenfold.com

*take note - the author still believes Megadeth and Iron Maiden to be the best metal bands that have ever lived.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 05:51 PM »
As far as newer metal drummers go ...

Joey Jordison - Slipknot
Jessie Smith - Zao
Des Kensel - High On Fire
Dirk Verbeuren - The Aborted
Tomas Haake - Meshuggah

The first album I ever bought was Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind (new in '83, I was 10), so my metal roots go back a bit.  But after a while I found myself much more into Godflesh, Napalm Death, Emperor, Bolt Thrower, etc than the more "old school" sound of bands like Megadeth and Metallica.  And these days, if I want metal, the older stuff just doesn't do it for me.  And these are the guys I listen too.    
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Hammertowndrummer

Re:Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 06:15 PM »
lets not forget about "spug" from mudvayne

forgetfuljonesdw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Jesse Smith is a true metal Drummer

RobertWiiand

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 05:21 AM »
Tomas Haake.... funny guy!

felix

Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 06:44 AM »
I guess I'm getting old, but I don't see or hear the attraction.  None of those bands can sing and all they do is spaz out on stage thru a bunch of distortion.  No dynamics whatsover- YUK.

Plus I am not into Ozzy or Sharon O. at ALL.  Like they need more money- not mine brother!  Oh and I'm sure they are paying the bands very well, and if you believe that I have an alligator farm in Florida that would be a great investment property to sell you :D :D

I guess I'm over the whole metal thing.  Some of the classic stuff is alright and moves me, but I need alot more from music- especially if I'm buying it.   Subsequently, I don't think any of those drummers are that great.  

This forum is about opinions right?  ;D

Offline Drumodad

• Cafe VIP
  • Loose Grips to Ya!
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 11:00 AM »
As far as balls out drumming is concerned,theres not a guy even remotely associated with Ozzfest that could hold a candle to Chris Adler. Actually I think he is the best drummer out there playing the harder /metally type stuff.I dont care for metal as it is today,I can only tolerate Lamb of God because the drumming is so killer.Any music where it sounds like the singer is throwing up is not my cup of Latte. I also have to agree with forgetfuljonesdw about Jason Bittner`s drumming.He just smoked it at the Drum Festival.His dbl bass work is sick!
But still not like my man Adler,his dbl. bass work is the sickest,and he happens to be a very nice guy under all that hair. I have an interview with him at Drum Radio if anyone cares to give it a listen,on the Drumodad In Your Face segment. Bittner was also very down to earth as I did an interview with him,good sense of humor.
 Like Felix said it is about opinions,yes. Listen to Adler and tell me if you can think of anyone that compares.
We`ll hold today to ransom `till our quartz clock stop until yesterday

Got Drums?   Got Cowbell?  Shirts , hats,original art and more at www.Cafepress.com/Drumodad

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 01:18 PM »
I thought you were gonna report on the Ozzfest... that's a show I'd love to see.

I'll check out Slipknot live later this year hopefully, they seriously kick ass IMHO. Haake from Messhuggah is just insane, a tremendous drummer, all power.

I haven't heard a drummer that seriously blows my socks off lately. I'll have to check Lamb of God and Shadows Fall, they're getting a good rep I see. The last guy I'd never heard before who really killed me was Brian Tichy in Pride & Glory (Zakk Wylde). Super charged rock n roll, he absolutely kills in that record.

Does Vinnie Colaiuta count as a "new" metal drummer??

EDIT: just saw the Ozzfest lineup and MAN what a show. I'd pay full price just to see Sabbath and BLS.
It's still Rock'n'Roll to me.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I just found out that theres a tour called Sounds of the Underground coming to Seattle next Monday.  And it just so happens I have that day and the one after scheduled off already ...  ;D

http://www.soundsoftheundergroundtour.com/

BANDS: Lamb of God, Clutch, Opeth, Poison the Well, From Autumn to Ashes, Unearth, Chimaira, GWAR, Norma Jean, Every Time I Die, Strapping Young Lad, Throwdown, High On Fire, All That Remains, Devil Driver, A Life Once Lost, Madball, Terror

I fear the testosterone level in there ;)
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Cool 563. Strapping must be a treat to see, Devin Townsend is a genius and Gene Hoglan is NO slob (of a drummer).

forgetfuljonesdw

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 10:30 PM »
What band is Chris Adler in??? Am I out of the loop on this guy, I believe I've heard his name before, but who does he jam with?

Offline Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 03:23 AM »
Lamb of God.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chris_Adler.html]http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chris_Adler.html

mapexdrummer1234

Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Maybe you are getiing old..... But even at age 14, I ain't much for metal music..... Classic rock, Oldies, CLASSIC Metal (Alice Cooper). It's just what's good, right?

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
Ozzfest in Philly Today
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Gave a listen to Lamb of God, Shadows Fall and other such bands. Decent stuff, super techincal players, but a bit overkill IMHO. They got chops to spare but they can get a bit borging.

rev9drummer

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 08:53 AM »
One of my favorite drummers right now in the metal scene is Mike Justain from Unearth and formerly of the Red Chord. Check that dude out, he makes Adler and Bittner seem like chumps by comparison, granted, he came from playing in a grindcore/death metal band(The Red Chord) into a less complicated metal core band. The Red Chord's new drummer is a good drummer too, might be a little too much for some of you guys that thought Lamb Of God was too heavy ;)

Vipercussionist

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Have any of you heard of Cryptopsy, an extreme metal band from Canada?? Check out Cryptopsy.net for some Sounds and Vids, fastest most precise speed/extreme metal I've ever heard, Flo Mounier is certainly one of the top drummers in that field, DEVASTATING endurance drumming!! Unbelievable!!

forgetfuljonesdw

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 09:19 PM »
Any feedback on The Reverend??? He goes from asskicking speed and flare to awesome percussion behind his band's flamenco guitars.....awesome young band that's really treading new water.  Sorry for harping on them, but Avenged Sevenfold has indeed been my flavor of the month - check 'em.  

Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram