• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Drums & Fire!

Started by TaAqPrMaSa, May 17, 2005, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

Get a fog machine.  It's a great effect, and you don't have to worry about burning down the house.

I used to be in a band that did this.  The hose was under my throne so that when it was set off the fog came out between and around my bass drums.  I'd signal the fog by turning on a light behind me with a foot switch.  It was a cool effect that got people's attention, and was completely safe.

We used 5 pounds of dry ice dropped into boiling water, but there are several ways to generate fog nowadays.

James Walker

QuoteQuote from: TaAqPrMaSa on Today at 11:56:30 AM
okay, first off i am clearing it with the school., second im using paraffin, it burns at 45 degrees.
Quote from: Louderdb on May 17, 2005, 10:23 AM

I've already found a huge flaw in your idea! You are dead wrong about that my friend! Parrafin wax burns at 2,552 degrees fahrenheit. Just dump the fire idea and move on.  ;)

I was wondering why the parrafin wax on my drums' bearing edges hasn't already burst into flame at room temperature...  ;)

Stewart Manley

Quote from: James Walker on May 17, 2005, 11:01 AMI was wondering why the parrafin wax on my drums' bearing edges hasn't already burst into flame at room temperature...  ;)

This could explain what happened to Mick Shrimpton...  :o

DougB

Quote from: paul on May 17, 2005, 11:00 AM
Get a fog machine.  It's a great effect, and you don't have to worry about burning down the house.

And rent one of those laser machines that can project lettering and shapes onto a wall.

Marcos

Quote from: TaAqPrMaSa on May 17, 2005, 09:09 AM
okay, this might seem like a bad idea but ...

" ... might seem"???!!!??? ???  ???  ???

OK dude. It is now obvious you were serious. I now advise you to go along with your 1st instincts,  ..."bad idea" is putting it mildly. Listen to these people and trash this "idea". However, you seem sorta stubborn on this. If you do this, share with us by having your performance video-taped and posted on the web. Good luck.

mudpuppy

As the Principal of a school,(by day) I would find it highly unlikely (read impossible) that you will get approval for this. Even if I wanted to approve something like that, fire regulations would no doubt prevent it.  The ideas already posted provide some realistic alternatives . Go in that direction and more importantly, blow them away with your drumming skills.
mp

Mark Schlipper

And just to add one more little thing ... If you plan on setting fire to your gear, plan on it getting destroyed.  Period.    You may get lucky and find away to save your gear, but don't expect it.  

Its like riding a motorcycle, you cant think about IF you'll wreck, you have think about WHEN you will.    

If you have reservations about losing $30 worth of heads, let alone $X00 worth of drums and cymbals, then its not worth doing.  

chefdoug

Here's an idea, check out some of the stuff Blue Man group does. Now those guys have some stunning visuals with drumming. They use combinations of brightly colored paints and lighting, the splattering colors as they hit drums are really cool, you would of course have to find a fully washable paint, but it would cause less damage than fire. They do some other things that are visually very cool that coincide directly with drumming. So yeah, I would check out other visual options before setting your kit ablaze. Or you can really kick it old school and get yourself a gong to light on fire behind you ;D

Gregg Rivers

Quote from: chefdoug on May 17, 2005, 02:18 PM
Here's an idea, check out some of the stuff Blue Man group does. Now those guys have some stunning visuals with drumming. They use combinations of brightly colored paints and lighting, the splattering colors as they hit drums are really cool, you would of course have to find a fully washable paint, but it would cause less damage than fire. They do some other things that are visually very cool that coincide directly with drumming. So yeah, I would check out other visual options before setting your kit ablaze. Or you can really kick it old school and get yourself a gong to light on fire behind you ;D

Hmm let's see if I can picture that idea........
Zildjian Gong $400.00
Gong Stand   $175.00
Bic Lighter            1.00
Medical Bills from Gong rolling out of stand after ties burn away and it rolls into the audience and sets a few people on fire.......
                    $Skys The Limit
Having a new cell mate named Bubba that thinks you have a pretty mouth....
                      Priceless!

Leave the fire for the Pyrotechnicians. Be a drummer, it's a much safer gig. ;)

Drumodad

Why not go with the flying drumset solo,that probably hasn`t been done at your school before.Ulta violet paint on drum sticks under a black light.Play while blind folded. Glitter flys off drum heads pretty good.I think it was Floyd from Three Dog Night on Don Kirschners Rock Concert back in the 70`s that put some water,about half full, and gold fish in his floor toms.Peta may have something to say about this one though.Hope with all the suggestions in this thread you find something,or try them all.

Dave Heim

Other, safer options (some already mentioned) . .

* Rent a fog machine or confetti gun and kick it on near the end of your performance.
* Use flourescent paint and a black light.
* Go to a magic shop or www.magictricks.com and buy some flash paper.
* Rent some lights

Dig up the story of The Station Nightclub fire in Rhode Island, and give it a read.

paul

Drumodad, I believe the goldfish in the floor tom was done originally by Keith Moon.  Anyway, it only works with acrylic drums.  Goldfish in a maple set is really underwhelming.

Besides, a tom full of water doesn't project very well. :)

chefdoug

Quote from: Louderdb on May 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
Hmm let's see if I can picture that idea........
Zildjian Gong $400.00
Gong Stand   $175.00
Bic Lighter            1.00
Medical Bills from Gong rolling out of stand after ties burn away and it rolls into the audience and sets a few people on fire.......
                    $Skys The Limit
Having a new cell mate named Bubba that thinks you have a pretty mouth....
                      Priceless!

Leave the fire for the Pyrotechnicians. Be a drummer, it's a much safer gig. ;)

he he, nice :)
or just get one of those $30 10 inch dinner gongs and stick it under one of your schools bunsen burners, you can sell that idea by claiming it as research of the reactions of bronze under intense heat, with musical accompaniment, of course.

Dave Heim

BTW - if you try this, and someone gets hurt, you'll be sued.  Or more likely your parents will be sued.  As will the school.  Not exactly the best way to be popular in your community.

Roger Beverage

Quote from: TaAqPrMaSa on May 17, 2005, 09:56 AM
second im using paraffin, it burns at 45 degrees.

You mean 450, right ?  

If you are really committed to doing this, don't wear anything with polyester or nylon or you will be the torch.

I think its a dumb idea.

Roger

Bob Pettit

When I set fire to my drums, I use two sticks, but I don't rub 'em together.

:)

Seriously, not a good idea to actually start a fire.

Try a blowing fan on fake tissue paper 'flames'. Might be able to use clamp on fan pointed up under tissues 'flames' mounted along the rim of the drums somehow.

Dave Heim

Hey, and if there's any question about what temperatures other substances burn (hickory, maple, mylar, plastic drum finishes, cotton clothing, hair, skin, etc.), swing by the local fire house and tell them what you have in mind.  I'm sure they have all that sort of information in their files and they'd be happy to help.

Gregg Rivers

Quote from: Roger Beverage on May 17, 2005, 07:49 PM
You mean 450, right ?  

No he meant ......

Parrafin wax burns at 2,552 degrees fahrenheit.  

Drumodad

Quote from: paul on May 17, 2005, 06:52 PM
Drumodad, I believe the goldfish in the floor tom was done originally by Keith Moon.  Anyway, it only works with acrylic drums.  Goldfish in a maple set is really underwhelming.

Besides, a tom full of water doesn't project very well. :)
Never saw Moon do it.Of course they would have to be acrylic,still getting a set of Fibes,Ludwigs,Zickos,Starlites or any other custom transparent set would be cheaper than burning down a school.As far as a floor tom  filled with water not projecting,maybe thats why Floyd only half filled his. ;)I wonder if he sealed it with silicone,or let it seep out as he played.

Gregg Rivers

Are the Vistalites vented? That may have been why they were half full/