Topic: Zoro Clinic  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Roger Beverage

• VIP / Subscriber
    • Victory Swing Band
Zoro Clinic
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:38 PM »
Just came back from a Zoro drum clinic sponsored by the local drum shop (and DW, Vic Firth, Sabian).  It only about an hour long, all of it spent on the half time shuffle and variations except for two CD tracks he played along with.   It was likely way over the heads of many of the kids there but they were suitably entertained otherwise.  He also made sure that they got the bulk of the giveaway videos.  

He did have all the younger set who couldn't see well, come down front and sit on the floor near him.  Also, the drum kit was turned sideways to he audience so you could see what he was doing.  

There was a raffle by ticket number for a good size pile of DW T shirts, Sabian caps, etc etc.  He also had all the working drummers and teachers stand up and we all got a free pair of his signature sticks, which made up for the $10.00 ticket price.

Roger

oxford

Re:Zoro Clinic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I saw him a few months ago in California. Great guy and fun clinic. He did his funk thing and layed out some tasty grooves. I took my 14-year-old and now he is really into learning the drums.

OX

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 09:53 PM »
was REALLY disappointed that i missed his Drum Collective master class a week or so ago.  but heard he rocked the house with his r&b feel.  funny, my friend said, alot of people only know his stuff with Kravitz, so when he broke out into his stubblefield stomp, people were floored.
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Offline Snowdogyyz

• Silver Member
  • Go Wolfpack!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Anybody ask what happend to the Kravitz gig?  I've hard various stories.....
It seems like just yesterday that he and Lenny were on the cover of Modern Drummer acting like best buddies.
I still be diggin' on James Brown.....
http://home.mindspring.com/~stevecarmichael/index.html

drumwild

Zoro Clinic
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 02:59 PM »
Zoro does telephone consultations for $75.

Offline rca

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 07:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to attend a clinic a few years ago where he started with gospel and took the beats through present day hip hop, just like his book. I was very impressed with his playing. For me, seeing it live was much better than just listening to a CD and reading a book. So far, it is my favorite clinic, although I haven't been to many.

DRWM

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 05:31 PM »
I had a chance to study with Zoro for a while in 2000-2001.  He is such a gracious guy.  I really enjoy his teaching style because he has a talent for breaking down what he's doing and making it understandable.

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
Zoro Clinic
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 08:56 AM »
i have tremendous respect for zoro, both for his playing ability and regard for musical history [he's like an R&B encyclopedia], as well as his marketing savvy. you can tell he's a guy who never takes his career for granted. he works hard at networking marketing and self-promotion, and does a great job of furthering the 'zoro mystique.' [the bolero hat, etc.]

took a lesson with him [without the hat], and it's true, he made the ideas very accessible. what i really liked was that i was incredibly nervous going in, and within 3 minutes, was relaxed, because he just started chatting like we were neighbors.

i believe the lenny gig was just a fill-in thing for when cindy blackman injured her hand. that's what i'd read, anyhow...
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Offline Snowdogyyz

• Silver Member
  • Go Wolfpack!
Zoro Clinic
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 12:31 PM »
i i believe the lenny gig was just a fill-in thing for when cindy blackman injured her hand. that's what i'd read, anyhow...

I've heard varying stories, but that was one of them as well. That band with Blackman really grooves, so I can understand wanting her back when ready.
I still be diggin' on James Brown.....
http://home.mindspring.com/~stevecarmichael/index.html

AJdrumMeister

Zoro Clinic
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Zoro came down to Exeter in England where I live to do a clinic which I wasn't going to miss for the world!

It was a great clinic and I even got one of his sticks which he used!!!!! ;D

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram
Click HERE to LEARN MORE!