• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Session work ... setting prices

Started by Bart Elliott, May 25, 2005, 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Here's a question that I received via email about a year ago, I thought I'd share.

Q: I need some advice. Several local bands in my area have started contacting me regarding session or as they call it studio work.  Considering I have never done this before I was a little skeptical. But every group that has called (3 total) have commented on my playing, saying they had been to my church and heard me play.

I'm a mom and I can't go all over the place to practice or to play.

I have told all three of them I would get back to them and they all are willing to wait. What questions do I ask. What can I ask to be paid to do this? Help!

A: That's a lot to try and answer ... especially since I don't know you nor the level of your playing. Regardless, you've got to determine what your time is worth. If you have to get a baby-sitter, then you need to factor that cost IN ADDITION to what your time is worth.

If you need the experience, then you probably should not set your fee too high. If you are in high demand, then you can raise your rates. If you are able to just walk in and nail the track in one or two takes, then you can probably ask for more money. If need time and/or don't have much experience, then you might want to come up with a fee based on the number of songs and not how long it will take you to accomplish the track. If it takes you two hours to lay down the drum track for one song, most people aren't going to want to pay you $50+ an hour for example.

One other thing to remember is hauling your gear. Some studios have the drums there already, and prefer that you use their drums. If you have to bring your own, then you might want to charge for cartage. Again, you'll have to decide what your time is worth versus how badly you want the studio experience. Your time is worth something, but you don't want to price yourself out of work ... unless you don't care if you do the session or not. If you don't care or really don't want the session, set your price high to discourage them. If they accept your fee, then you are going to make some decent money for your time.

You also may want to consider what these recordings are for. I have a demo rate, custom album rate, commercial rate, etc.  Let them know, regardless of what your rate ends up being, that you must make a minimum of $______. This way, if you are working cheap, you don't just go in and play one song and leave for hardly any $$$.  If I'm working for a low rate, like for demos, I set a minimum amount that I must make, which pushes the client to use me on more than just one song. So either way, you know that you are going to make $____ for the day.

Hope this helps.