• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Triggering Mesh Heads

Started by mmrock2112, June 27, 2005, 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmrock2112

I'm looking to transform my old Export into an e-practice kit using triggers. I've done a lot of reasearch and am planning on buying the Alesis DM5 and ddrum triggers. I wanted to buy mesh heads like those sold on drumbalyaya.com, but, I've heard that mesh heads don't respond to triggers very well. Anyone have any insight/ experience with this method?

The whole idea is to build a virtually silent practice kit that I can play on, that gives me good sound...it doesnt have to be a road or studio juggernaut! Thanks!

Dead Trooper

Café members chefdoug and 563 have done projects like this. You could do a search for that topic or PM them to see what tips they can offer. I think the chef even has some pics up on his site.

Stewart Manley

Although I normally hesitate to point people to another forum from here, there's a dedicated bunch of e-drum geeks over at  http://www.edrumming.com]edrumming.com . Several of whom have done conversions, including the owner, Chris Jude, who has a stunning Sonor conversion.

In general, mesh heads work just fine with triggers. Any problems that do occur with mis-triggering happen as the sizes increase, so you may have some issues with your kick.

chefdoug

I have had great success using the Pro Ddrum triggers on my mesh head kit. I bought Peace mesh heads from Drumbalaya, way cheaper than the Harts but better than the Pearls and other cheaper ones. I am using a Roland TD-8 brain and I even converted some real cymbals into cymbal triggers, everything works great and I saved a bunch of cash by doing a conversion instead of buying an e-kit.

Mark Schlipper

Mesh heads work.    I've got 'em with Pintech triggers.   Tuning is actually pretty vital to getting them working properly though.   I've found a slightly slacker tuning works pretty well.   I guess it doesn't vibrate as much so it doesn't resend a signal after the hit.  

Since you're using a regular kit you have another option.  If the mesh heads aren't working as youd like (try one first).   Then go with live heads and pack the drum with foam rubber.  It'll be louder than mesh, but quieter than a live drum for sure.  More comprable in volume to rubber pads.  

mmrock2112

Thanks guys, I've also heard that using the Remo Muff'ls in addition to mesh heads deadens the head and helps prevent false triggering. I have to check out the edrumming.com forum, but the Pearl forum also had a lot of people who did conversions. Sounds like the smart thing to do for wory-free practicing (I live in an apartment)

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: mmrock2112 on June 28, 2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys, I've also heard that using the Remo Muff'ls in addition to mesh heads deadens the head and helps prevent false triggering.

I thought that too.   Exact opposite though.  The Muff'ls made them louder.   Instead of a near silent "dink" it was a louder "THUNK".  

mmrock2112

Hmmm...good to know.  So do you insulate the drums in order to prevent falase and double triggers? I've heard the kick drum can be a pain...especially with a double pedal

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: mmrock2112 on June 29, 2005, 05:28 PM
Hmmm...good to know.  So do you insulate the drums in order to prevent falase and double triggers? I've heard the kick drum can be a pain...especially with a double pedal

Nothing but mesh heads on shallow shells for me.  The kick currently isnt triggering well, but I believe its about location.  I have the trigger close to the edge and I'm going to move it up a bit.  But its only 16" so that could be another difference.