• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Should High school bands play corp shows (marching only)

Started by younggun, July 23, 2005, 01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

younggun

ok. last year was my freshman year in high school. i was on the bassline and i might say we were kickin. we did the songs of the sailor and sea. one of the pieces that was played was legend of the one eyed sailor (you might recognize it from the blue devils). The whole band enjoyed the show, but our techs thought it was crap and said we shouldnt be playing a corp show, what is your opinion on it. ( I wont be offended)  

Bart Elliott

I don't know what you are wanting to hear or what kind of feedback you desire.

Here's what you said:

1. You are a freshman in high school
2. You played a show in marching band
3. One piece in particular was also done by the Blue Devils
4. Your techs said you shouldn't be playing a drum corps style show

That's not enough information to say anyone was wrong or right. I'd have to see and hear the show to make my own comments, let alone endorse or discredit the opinion or view of another.

I would assume that if the judges or the powers that be felt that your band shouldn't be performing a "corps show" then maybe they are right. I would need to know WHY they said this before I could even make any comments.

No one on the Drummer Cafe can make a comment on this one way or the other ... unless they saw or heard your performance. Often times young people think something is at a high-level, when it really isn't. This is simply due to the fact that you haven't been playing long, and there's no substitute for being seasoned over time.

Dave Heim

If your techs a) thought you shouldn't be doing corp-style shows and b) thought the show sounded like crap - how did you get to the point of performing the show in public?

younggun

the show didnt sound like crap, n fact our band made finals at mci (first time in 7 years) and we placed 9th at Coc (huge comp) and thats the best weve ever done. The only reason they said it sounded bad, was because they were putting us up against the blue devils.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Young Gun on July 24, 2005, 09:33 AM
the show didnt sound like crap, n fact our band made finals at mci (first time in 7 years) and we placed 9th at Coc (huge comp) and thats the best weve ever done. The only reason they said it sounded bad, was because they were putting us up against the blue devils.

Well ... HELLO!!!

That comparison is just silly ... so don't take the negativity ... it's coming from individuals who don't have enough since to not compare a High School drumline with a drum corps. I could elaborate, but I think you get the point.

mapexdrummer1234

then maybe it was unwise to play a song that was performed at such high level that is recognizeable. However, I do agree with the other guys on this one.

Because we are in the spirit of Marching band, APEX high 2005 show is James Bond (I am 3rd snare).

But, it's more important to have fun, so, more power to ya.

Ryan

I'm lost.

So, your techs were mocking the fact that a high school marching band was playing one of Devs' trademark tunes? I think that's what you're getting at. If so, rest easy knowing that about every, single successful high school marching band in the country does the same thing at some point - especially with BD songs.

Hope that's of some comfort. :)