Topic: good cheap wines?  (Read 10121 times)

drummer1202

Re:good cheap wines?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 01:16 PM »
So anything in a bag?

You just summed up my teen years Ranman!  :D

Offline TheBeachBoy

• Silver Member
  • I live in my own world; they know me there
    • Elvis Before Noon
good cheap wines?
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I like a lot of the dry red wines, such as:

Yellow Tail shiraz
La Bicyclette shiraz (may have been merlot)
Tsunami chianti zinfandel
cabernets
Ecco Domani Merlot
almost anything dry, especially if the label looks home-made

Another good one is Sterling Cabernet

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
good cheap wines?
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 02:47 PM »
Tsunami chianti

"Now being served at all five-star Thai resorts"

doh! sorry, man. i walked right into it.  :P
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
good cheap wines?
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 07:37 PM »
Well, if you like Cheap, you don't get much cheaper than Boone's Farm.  Now that's high class wine!!  :D

High Class would be Boone's Farm mixed with Kool Aid.  I knew a bass player who drank that.  One time he even mixed it up in a trash can, he did rinse it out first.   ;D
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline Jeff Lewallen

• Cafe VIP
  • Let's get together and feel alright........
good cheap wines?
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 11:27 AM »
I jumped on the red wine bandwagon about a year and half ago and try to have one glass each day with dinner. A regular 750ml bottle will usually yield 4-5 glasses and being the tight wad that I am I search for bargains as much as possible.

The one thing I have found is that higher price DOES NOT equal a better tasting wine in my opinion. And that's the thing, opinions on wine are so varied from one person to the next that you have to just try different ones and find what you like the best. I decided early on to not buy the same wine twice.

I try to stay under $15 for the most part and honestly have had $10 bottles that tasted as good to me as $25+ dollar bottles of the same grape. I shop at a large wine warehouse type store in my area and those places usually seem to be much cheaper than the local grocery store although the first time I went in  there I was a little intimidated.

I have my special techinique... I decide on a price to not exceed per bottle and start combing the aisles. I just look for something I haven't tried yet and the first one I see that's in my price range goes into the basket. Very un-winesman like conduct I'm sure but it works for me. Needless to say, the wine "experts" in the store know now to spare the fancy adjectives and not bother recommending that $30 bottle to me.

I consider it an adventure to try and discover as many good tasting yet good value wines. Sometimes I get lucky and if I really like a bottle I'll break my rule and go back to buy another bottle of the same to put up for later. Rarely have I picked one out that was so bad that I had to dump the bottle.

Some recent reds I like:

Yellowtail - I like all of their reds, especially the Shiraz
Antinori Santa Cristina - Italian Tuscan Sangiovese
Rene Barbier -  Mediterranean Red Table Wine
Marcus James - Merlot - Argentina (very good value IMHO)

Happy tasting........

“If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.”
Max Ehrman

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
good cheap wines?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 11:52 AM »
I recently picked up a cabernet by Casillero del Diablo (Cellar of the Devil) for $9 that was really excellent.   I don't recall the exact year, but I believe it was between 99-01 based on the label (they seem to have changed it after that)
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

felix

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Hey Mark- I'm catching up to you brother!

Where were these grapes grown.  Gawd an 01 for 9 bucks?  Gotta be a hard one to find.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2005, 12:15 PM »
Hey Mark- I'm catching up to you brother!

Where were these grapes grown.  Gawd an 01 for 9 bucks?  Gotta be a hard one to find.

If I recall it was a spanish wine.  I found it at "Cost Plus/World Market Imports".   Its a store kind of like Pier 1 but more varied and authentic.  They are a great source for good cheap wine.  
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
good cheap wines?
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 12:34 PM »
OK , So my Brother manages a package store so I get all my wine at cost (which incidently is at least half of the price on the bottle on the shelf,3 X for a restraunt)

You would think this would be a good thing right?

WRONG! since I get it so cheap...I now buy the good stuff and now I am unable to drink the cheap stuff!

anywho...for those who dig shiraz, you HAVE to try the 'Stump Jump" shiraz. Its like a $10 bottle, but it is just a beautiful wine.

I have been waiting to open my bottle of  StagsLeap Cab-sav from 95. $150 a bottle ($75for me).
I bought it for myself for Christmas last year. I have been waiting on a special occasion.

You know like the day I answer the front door and Mr. A. and Felix are there to help me "tune my kit"  ;)

SO...where the heck are you guys...lets go!
It's almost October!

;D
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram