Topic: Studio Pictures  (Read 8385 times)

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
Studio Pictures
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:31 AM »
Inspired by Felix here are a few pics of my studio.
Here is the control room

Here is the Harrison Raven

More Control Room Pics

My Pearl Masters in my Drum/Recording room

More Drums/Recording room

You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

Offline Gregg Rivers

• Cafe VIP
  • I'm still around!
    • The Rock 92.3 House Band
Studio Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Very Cool 8) I'm diggin' that rig Looney! You got it goin' on bra! ;)
I don't solo!

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
Re:Studio Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:17 PM »
Oh my...good heavens!  EXCELLENT layout.

I'm noticing the little details (such as the tight fit of the door) and the window, not to mention that mic' jack panel (for lack of knowledge of the term).  Great stuff.

And, the studio ring on the snare drum warms my heart ;D
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
Studio Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Dang, now I have another craving flung on me.   ;D  It looks great.  Maybe someday I will have one half as nice.  
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
Studio Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 12:37 PM »
You guys have seriously cool studios going on. I love this stuff. Congratulations.
It's still Rock'n'Roll to me.

felix

Studio Pictures
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:57 PM »
I bet that board sounds like a wet dream.  The Krock speakers are sweet also- I'm saving up for some passive Adam speakers from german to handle my mcintosh (which basically blows thru those things like tissue paper)

I see a nice Joe meek lunchbox thing... what's that do?

Do you like your Blue mic?

Are you running protools LE?  After I get a really sweet board (had big Hill for awhile that sounded good but need all kinds of work) I really wanna get an apple- maybe not with protools, but Audio Desk bundled with a brand new Motu interface might be the ticket for me.

What resolution and bit rate do you have the best luck at?  I can only get my studio to multitrack at 20 bit 48khz (I still use my adat cause I have latency problems)... but I have that apogee dithering software (UV22) that does a good job.  I also run the ozone 3 mastering stuff.

Do you have any noticable latency?  That is something I have a problem with.

Thanks and great pics!

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
Studio Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Hey thanks for all the nice words, I like my little space.

Felix the board is awesome, it's soooo warm you would love it, in your words "It's the Cats Pajamas" LOL.  My good friend has the Adams I belive the are the 2.5 or something like that they are awesome I'm sure you will love them.

The Joe Meek is a two channel Pre with a Compressor and Eq built in nice peace of gear, the best thing is that I can connect it through SP/DIF which give me two extra channels on Pro-tools. ( I just realized that I had the other rack with all the pre's closed, I'll take pics of those later)

I like the Blue, especially for Male vocals which is why I had it up, I'm doing some vocals with this guy who has a low voice, it works great for that application.

I'm running both Pro-Tools 6.9 and DP 4.6 but I do most of my work on PT.  As far as resolution and bit rate I don't go higher then 20 44.8 although I have the capability to go up to 96k I don't do anything that requires it.  But I'm going to see how far I can push it and get back to you.

I really don't have Latency problems unless I'm running a few of the big waves stuff.  I have Waves Diamond and I'm still learing a lot of those plugs.  Are you having latency issues b/c of soft ware or is it your Machine?

Anyway thanks again guys.
You don't practice one day no one notices, you don't practice two days you notice, you don't practice three days everyone notices.

felix

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Honestly I don't know man.  I think it's my software and my machine.  So I've gone to just taping on the adat and if I need more tracks, I'll mix down to two and open up 6 more.  When they are all done I mix in the computer.

When I'm just goofing around I go direct into my computer.

yeah, you have to have a little space... every drummer and musician/artist should.

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
Studio Pictures
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 01:54 PM »
that is sexy, baby!!

truly mind-boggling. i only have a kit in my studio  :)

but the dude who had the space before me left a mountain of equipment in there, so i should see what's what and maybe i can get my hands on some. then i could say things like 'latency' 'motu interface' and 'cats pajamas,' like felix! ;D
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

felix

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 02:22 PM »
You mean some dude left you a bunch of gear?    Definitely tell us what it is!

I hope you never have to deal with the latency word.  Jitter is another bad word, and since only one piece of my gear has a word clock I am prone to PLENTY of it if my digital gear doesn't feel like having a conversation with each other!

Definitely take some pics of it and we will help you get you dialed in smoggy.

I'm no Bob Clearmountain (famous engineer) but it's really not that tough to at least get some signal recorded.

If there is a will there is a way!!!!

felix

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 02:23 PM »
Yeah Looney, is that a Presonus 8 channel to your left?  I thought you were only a "Great River" kinda pre amp guy.

All I hear is "presonus presonus" now.  I guess they are making a big splash.

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
Studio Pictures
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 02:29 PM »
It's not a pre it's an 8 channel compressor limiter, it's pretty sweet.  I do have a presonus pre which you can't see.  Smoggy let us know what you have, I'm sure we can make it work for you, BTW felix you might want to get an inexpensive clock like a Lucid Genx6 that might help you with clocking issues.  

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:23 PM »
You mean some dude left you a bunch of gear?    Definitely tell us what it is!

yah. when i got the space, the landlord put me in a different room than i'd first seen. it was smaller but in a better location. the room is filled to the gills with stuff. i honestly don't know what it all is, but there's a small keyboard in there and what looks like a giant rack of stuff designed to deal with midi sequencing. [looks similar to what i think of as 'outboard' gear]. there's also a turntable. i assumed all this meant this dude was producing some kinda electronic music or loops or something like that, so i wasn't sure it would meet my needs. but there are two really nice speakers in there i wouldn't mind getting my hands on. the real surprise was when i picked up the faxline phone, there was a dial tone!

all this led me to think i must be sharing space with another person, unbeknownst to me. but there hasn't been a stitch of activity beyond me. two wine glasses have been sitting there forever, with wine residue baked-in. a note someone left hasn't budged. a man's suit is still on the hanger.

at some point in the near future, i'll ask to have this stuff removed, but i didn't make a big stink about it coz i'm curious about the gear, and i want to make sure i'm there for a while and on continued good terms with the landlord. then i can start making requests and such.
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

felix

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 06:10 PM »
You know DL I would LOVE to buy an apogee big ben but only one piece of gear I have has a word clock input and that is my focusrite 4 pak (i forget the model #) 428 I think.

so it's all synched with light pipe cable, individual settings/radio buttons and 9 pins... it ain't pretty but it works!

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42 AM »
You know DL I would LOVE to buy an apogee big ben but only one piece of gear I have has a word clock input and that is my focusrite 4 pak (i forget the model #) 428 I think.

so it's all synched with light pipe cable, individual settings/radio buttons and 9 pins... it ain't pretty but it works!

Count me in on the Big Ben wish list, along with the Apogge DA and AD converters

MUSIKxDRUMR

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Count me in on the Big Ben wish list, along with the Apogge DA and AD converters

Heck yes!!! I just scored my Apogee AD16x converter, which has the Big Ben technology intertwined! It is nothing less than AMAZING! I also just grabbed a Soundcraft 'Ghost' console and it's leaps and bounds better than my Behringer console could have ever dreamed to be! Now that I have my dream gear (for the price range), my band is going to start recording our debut album. I'll be sure to share it with you guys when its completed.--

felix

Studio Pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 08:00 AM »
Hey Musik those are some sahweet pieces of gear.

I have been a big fan of the sound craft ghost boards since the mid 90's.  I'm jealous man!

There is a 24 for 2300 in california that I'm seriously thinking about picking up for my studio.

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
Studio Pictures
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 08:19 AM »
The apogee is a sweet piece of gear Musik it's my next big purchase, and the ghost is definitely a nice board, I have a buddy in NY who has one and loves it, Felix let me know what board you end up getting, the ghost is not a bad option.

felix

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 08:43 AM »
yeah, it's a 24 x 8 though which is so freakin' big.

Have you heard a manley 8+8 yet?

This would be sweet, especially in my control room since I basically have no room

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 09:03 AM »

Have you heard a manley 8+8 yet?

No but I bet it's killer, they make great pre's I've heard their "slam" OMG, what a great piece of gear.

felix

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 09:09 AM »
yeah, that will really be justifiable considering I only post the odd solo and snare drum comparison once in awhile.

I might just stick with the ol' "Muckie" for awhile.

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
Studio Pictures
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Wow Drumlooney, that's a sweet space!

Sounds like you have some bitching gear.

Makes my project studio look like a freakin Fostex 4 track!

So I just scored a G4 and am looking to get into some if this ProTools stuff. Would LE be a good enough start? Not doing anything fancy yet. Just trying to get my head wrapped around this computer based stuff on a MAC.

All my recording experience prior to this was on old MCI SONY gear from the 70's. Old-School for sure.
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

Offline Drumlooney

• Cafe VIP
  • Yes that drumlooney!!
Studio Pictures
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Wow Drumlooney, that's a sweet space!

Sounds like you have some bitching gear.

Makes my project studio look like a freakin Fostex 4 track!

So I just scored a G4 and am looking to get into some if this ProTools stuff. Would LE be a good enough start? Not doing anything fancy yet. Just trying to get my head wrapped around this computer based stuff on a MAC.

All my recording experience prior to this was on old MCI SONY gear from the 70's. Old-School for sure.

Hey RHS,

Protools LE is a good program paired with your G-4 you should have no problems, the program is the same what's different is the hardware.  Look into getting a digi 002 if you can it should be plenty to get you started.  Good luck, thanks for the nice words about my studio and feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions.

felix

Studio Pictures
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Well, some of you might remember that I was a Cubase user back a few years ago (not my idea to begin with).

After 5 years dealing with this rotten excuse for a program (my opinion) I finally crashed this software in winblows for one last time!
I don't know what's wrong with it, nor do I care! *I can laugh about it now*

So I totally scuttled my 5 year old studio computer and 2 CRT monitors.  The motu828 and glyph drive are going up on ebay ASAP.

I totally reconfigured my studio around my alesis XT 20 making a "super 8" rig- I have a light pipe in with my focusrite digital converters *ISA 428* including my yankee/canadian tube pre and my vintage german pre's *neumann* I have an older Joe Meek *when they were made in england* stereo compressor patched into a side of the tube pre and 4 behringer multicom compressors that can be turned on any time with the focusrite insert activate button.  The one good thing that came out of Behringer IMO was their cheapo compressors.  Really awesome for little munny!

THen I Patched in all my old digital boxes *well just two* into my now vintage mackie 12 channel to mix down and into the converters on my alesis masterlink.  

So far so good- studio is extremely quiet without all the disc drives humming.  Looks better also.  Much more intuitive.  I love the feel of the tape running again for some reason.

We will see how long the old ADAT will work.  I will have to check the head hours on the thing and probably clean it.

I could easily go to 24 bit 96khz sample rates in my studio. But that would cost me around 3500 *alesis HD 24 combined with the new yamaha O1V96V2.  I'm going to try and hold off on that stuff as long as possible.  I really hate another learning curve ahead of me as well.  Plus- what on earth do I need or how could I justify 24 bits and 96khz when I'm making 20/48k right now?

I just want to create on 8 now.  I can save *theoretically, I've never done this* on the masterlink a "mastered" AIFF file.  Then I can import AIFF files into iTunes which will spit out an MP3.

So I'll try to get back to some drumming here *been so darn bizzy lately* and throw up some MP3's and pics of my "super 8" rig.

PEACE

Offline RHSquonk

• Cafe VIP
  • Giggity!
    • my myspace space
Studio Pictures
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 01:00 PM »
sweet. Thanks DL.

I do have a Yamaha AW16 digital 16 track I have been  doing stuff with.
Kinda cool.

I will look into the digi002 (thanks for the tip!), but money is a tad tight right now.

I am also on the hunt for a good submixer for my acoustic kit. I have this old Peavy from like 1980 and its got  a nasty 60 cycle hum I can't seem to find. What a POS.

Anyway, thanks again.

-RHS
"I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity" - Albert Einstein

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram