• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

POWDERCOATING!!!!

Started by xXxBURYyourDEADxXx, September 25, 2005, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

i want to powdercoat { or is powercoat. honestly dnt kno, im slow} sorry

im sure u kno wat im taking about

i want to do it too.

6 rims.

56 lugs.

does anyone no how well this works

i dnt wants paint chipping off the rims and lugs

would rim shots become out of the question an how much would something like this cost

and were would i look to have this done?

thanks for ur help

Louis Russell

Small items can be powdercoated at home in your oven.  Good results are easily obtained if you follow directions precisely.  You would more than likely be better off using a commercial service such as  http://www.markspowdercoating.com/]Marks Powder Coating.   They do great work and charge reasonable rates.  You can email them for specifics on drum hardware.  I am more a fan of anodizing and plan on anodizing a set of hardware in the near future, probably in a metalic blue.  

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

sounds good

has anyone done this? how much did u pay?

Louis Russell

I have powdercoated two kits.  I did the disassembly and a shop did the coating.  These kits were gifts for friends and I got a very sweet deal since I know the powdercoating owner well.  The finish holds up really well but I was not pleased with the joints being stiff and the fit of the stands where they slide together.  This is why I plan on anodizing a set soon.  The physical size will change very little with anodizing.

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

can u give me a price range for what i wants

around 100? lower more?

Louis Russell

It will depend on how many parts you are doing!  Just hoops, lugs, and rods will be a lot cheaper than all the hardware.  Email the shop with specifics and they can give you an estimate.  Check out their prices for other items and that should give you a gestimate.  

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

uhhh i did all that, didnt work on my comp.

oh and coating tension rods? seems like a bad idea. threads jamming up is what i think would happen? do u kno more about that

all i wants is lugs and rims. if rods can be done nicely with out future problems, well them as well.

Louis Russell

Quote from: xXxBURYyourDEADxXx on September 25, 2005, 09:20 PMall i wants is lugs and rims. if rods can be done nicely with out future problems, well them as well.

Send them an email explaining what you want coated and they usually reposne within one work day.  I have no idea what they would charge.

drummer1202

What color do you want?  You may be able to buy some hardware in the color you want without having to coat the stuff you already have.

That way if you change your mind you can always go back.

Just a thought.

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

yeah i have  PDP so its T>A>S>T tunning, and u cant use a specific rod

drummer1202

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I may be entirely stupid, but I don't understand what you wrote.

Anybody wanna translate that for me?

Louis Russell

Quote from: xXxBURYyourDEADxXx on September 26, 2005, 05:59 AM
yeah i have  PDP so its T>A>S>T tunning, and u cant use a specific rod

I am having trouble underatanding that sentence myself.  Could you please explain it to an old?

Louis Russell

Usually fast toms is in reference to the shell depth.  There are fine threaded tuning rods available.  Matter-of-fact a good bolt and supply store will have then in stock and a lot cheaper than the music stores.  I think they are listed as square headed cap screws.  They are available in different finishes and lengths.

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

im sorry guys, i try faster then my brian operates. louis is right.

fine threads.

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

well can i get someone opinion.

do u think my toms will look " off " if only the lugs and rims are black?

drummer1202

Quote from: Louis on September 26, 2005, 02:10 PM
There are fine threaded tuning rods available.  Matter-of-fact a good bolt and supply store will have then in stock and a lot cheaper than the music stores.  I think they are listed as square headed cap screws.  They are available in different finishes and lengths.

Buy those in black, then coat everything else.  Problem solved.