• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What is your 'other' occupation?

Started by Crash, September 27, 2005, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

I've always found it interesting to find out what musicians do for income aside from playing music...

I'm a PC tech for HP when I'm not bashing out the tunes on my Tamas.  I've always told myself "I can't be a computer geek, cuz I'm in a band!"  ;D  

What is your day (or night) job... or are you lucky enough to be a musician by trade?

Stewart Manley

I'm the CTO of an enterprise software vendor.

Mister Acrolite

I mudwrestle competitively, and continue to spearhead the search for a better Cheeto.

HDT

Oh really! ::)...
Then how come we've never crossed paths on the mudwrestling circuit?  Huh?

HDT

OK... I guess I better come clean ;D  I never even made it out of the amateur jello league :-[

Actually, I am a CAD drafter and permit writer for a telephone engineering company.  Whoooo Hhooooo!!! Rock & Roll!!!

Yes, I can think of a few other things I would rather be doing, but hey... as they say, it pays the bills (more or less) ;) 8)

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on September 27, 2005, 08:52 AM
I mudwrestle competitively, and continue to spearhead the search for a better Cheeto.
I have some experience and training in this regard and think I could be a valuable contributor to your team as you search for that better Cheeto.  I'd be interested in an interview at your earliest convenience.  BTW, I don't mudwrestle.  Will this hurt my chances?  ;D

I almost forgot....my day job is with the USAF.  I'm leaving my instructional desginer/developer job and returning to the wonderful world of avionics backshop repair as a supervisor/manager.

Louis Russell

I am a retired commercial pilot/pilot examiner and was on the road playing drums for several years in the late 70s.  Now I sit home, teach flying, and also work for the Sheriff Department.  Oh yeah, my favorite Cheeto is the next one!   8)

Shane Stylianos

I work for the Army Reserve as a civilian and a reservist.  As a civilian I'm the unit administrator for an Army Reserve Band.  I'm in the same unit as a reservist and I'm the rhythm group leader.

Jeff Lewallen

I spend my days and sometimes nights doing computer systems administration and software development. I find that playing music is the perfect antidote to dealing with technology (and users) all day.

I also find it interesting that so many drummers are also involved in information technology, but then with the saturation of computers these days, I suppose it's not all that strange.......

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I've always worked in AV or TV.

The reason? Access to gear and facilities.

At present I'm a civilian employee of the USAF. I'm an AV tech in a multi-media center. I borrow mics and mixers and recording gear. (Shh, its for personal use)

In the past I've made videos using TV station cameras and control rooms and edit bays.

I've also done a lot of concerts, theater, video shoots, TV shows and films.

I figure even if it's not all music its still media.

smoggrocks

i'm a freelance cultural anthropologist currently researching the mating habits of the australian aborigines.

ok... so i'm not!

i'm an advertising copywriter [one who writes advertising copy, not patents and copyrights] for a smallish pharmaceutical co. i spend my days writing about leukotrienes and eosinophil concentrations. earthshattering stuff.

louis -- teach me to fly, man! i took off and landed in a cessna twice, and am jonesing for more!

DRWM

...now don't everyone laugh at once.

I sell insurance for a living.  fun, fun, fun!

Christopher

I'm a professional beer tester.

Here's a picture of me at work...

smoggrocks

Quote from: Christopher on September 27, 2005, 11:08 AM
I'm a professional beer tester.

Here's a picture of me at work...

ahh... i see you're making fine use of that "Abs of Steel" dvd!

chefdoug

Jon E

Me?  

I work as a Payroll Manager for ABC Fine Wine & Spirits
(many of you Floridians know ABC well I'm sure!!).  

No, I don't get free samples.

Mark Schlipper

IT and web graphics geek and lush.   Its a rough life.  

Larry Lawless

drummer1202

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on September 27, 2005, 08:52 AM
and continue to spearhead the search for a better Cheeto.

I found that Cheeto in a bag in 1988 while watching the Led Zep reunion on TV and under the influence of various substances.  It took me a while, but I ate it.  I'm not kidding.

Ranman

I sell Computer Networking Accessories, Toll Free Numbers and Text Ad Space and can be contacted at 1-888-883-1505  :P

I also developed http://www.linuxguruz.com

Quotelouis -- teach me to fly, man! i took off and landed in a cessna twice, and am jonesing for more!

The use of the words "jonesing" and "teach me to fly" freak me out when used in the same sentence.