Topic: In which I embrace Mozilla Firefox  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
In which I embrace Mozilla Firefox
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Earlier this year, there was a thread touting the Mozilla Firefox browser;  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=13136]you may find it here .  While I admitted to having it for a second browser, I made five points that kept me using Internet Explorer.  The rebuttals to my concerns somewhat assuaged my fears, but I still remained comfortable with using it as an alternative, should IE for any conceivable reason break.

Until recently, that is.  When my Spybot Search and Destroy's TeaTimer (a bit of a digital prophylactic against bad processes, if you will) began blocking various ActiveX processes for program files that I thought were long uninstalled, like Trend Micro's online spyware/virus scan and a couple more anti-spyware/trojan sites, as well as WeatherBug that I thought was gone, I began to think:  if benevolent programs are doing this (and how benevolent are they if they are?), what would something else do?

So, I bit the bullet and took it upon myself to get used to Firefox, which doesn't use ActiveX.  And, it only took a day or two, really, since the format is fairly similar.

I would like to retract a few of my earlier points:
  • The browser-tabbing turns right off.  I still don't like it, but this is a non-issue.  I'm too used to the layout of cascaded browser windows, and Firefox readily accomodates this.
  • The layout has gotten better with MSN.com (if indistinguishable from that provided by IE), and I can live without seeing the MSN videos.
  • Even in the light of the recent two vulnerabilities that were fixed with version 1.0.7, and  http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,104876,00.html]the recent evaluation by Symantec saying that Firefox contains more vulnerabilities than IE ,  http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,104876,00.html]the holes with Mozilla are fewer and much less serious.
  • There are plug-ins, and the lack of effects can be a good thing with regard to stuff such as ActiveX.  In fact, many of these plug-ins offer valuable features not available (at least, immediately so) with Internet Explorer.  And, there is now a Google toolbar that is compatible with Firefox, enabling the user to use the features of this beneficial tool in lieu of that integrated search bar at the top-right-hand corner of the browser window.

Of course, if you work in a corporate environment or work with Microsoft's sites often (or a combination of the two), Firefox may be of little usability to you, to my knowledge.  Also, it's true that Firefox initially loads a tad slower than IE, and moreso with a greater number of plug-ins.

But, I've found a new browser, and the plug-ins are just amazing.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline SteveR

• Cafe VIP
Re:In which I embrace Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 02:16 PM »
I'm all about Firefox.  I'll never go back to IE.  It took me a while to warm up to it like you but once you get used to it, there's no reason to even open up IE ever again.
This is my signature.

marker

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:40 PM »
I'm using a computer that had both on it.

On advice of my webserver,  I decided on IE.  I tried to delete the Firefox/Mozilla stuff.  But, some insistent programs kept showing up,  and I finally gave in so I wouldn't get the constant prompts.

So, I figure I'm sacrificing X amount of my hard drive space for software I don't use.  Sounds a lot like IE to me.

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 06:51 PM »
I tried to delete the Firefox/Mozilla stuff.  But, some insistent programs kept showing up,  and I finally gave in so I wouldn't get the constant prompts.

My goodness!  Could you elaborate, perhaps, as to what exactly wasn't deleted?  And, why did your webserver prefer IE?
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:20 PM »
once you've gone tabbed, its impossible to go back.  :)
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Offline TheBeachBoy

• Silver Member
  • I live in my own world; they know me there
    • Elvis Before Noon
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 02:05 PM »
once you've gone tabbed, its impossible to go back.  :)

I tab-browse everything.  My mom and my girlfriend get confused when they watch me browse the internet, but they're slowly learning how it works.  It's so handy, especially on the drum forums I browse or when I Google something.

Another one I use at work is called Crazy Browser, which I believe runs off the IE engine (its biggest drawback).  Its great because I can run it directly from my personal folder as we're not allowed to install software to the harddrive.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram