• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

In furtherance of the anti-piracy software debate

Started by Tony, October 04, 2005, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I just read this a minute ago; it's interesting to see the artists reaction to anti-piracy measures put on their CD's.  I recall the topic from a few months ago, and the new Foo Fighters being one of the discs affected.  Interestingly enough, the Foo's are against this technology.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051004/music_nm/copy_dc]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051004/music_nm/copy_dc

Joe

I must sayâ€"those artists cited who are against the copy-protected digital media discs (or maybe the limitations of such, to be more precise) are truly good sports.  

I don't like Sony's approach at all (quasi-linked from your Yahoo news link), which involves use of their software that needs to be installed.  It sounds beneficial at first, too.

BlackEvovii

This stuff is so annoying.  Record companies make millions and popular bands make millions.  I believe record sales have actually gone up and if they havent, how big of a loss are they taking?  8 million out of 8 billion dollars?  Didnt 50 cent just last year put out the highest selling album in the first week of induction?  and went 11x platinum?  ...losing money my ass.  It's all bulllsh*t.  

What about all those cd's i bought that had 1 or 2 good songs on them.  I remember when i was about 11-14 i would go to wall-to-wall and sam goody, pay 17 bucks for cds and feel ripped off.   While i do pirate music, if i a) like the band, i'll wind up buying the cd because i love music and i love to have the packaging or b) if i dont like the music, i just saved myself 5-14 bucks.  (used vs new).

Mark Schlipper

I recently picked up Before the Dawn Heals Us by M83 and due to copy protection it won't play in my car.  My two year old Kia's stock cd/stereo.   Its one thing to prevent copying.  Its another to prevent playing on a standard player.   My solution?  Rip and burn it.   I have to "pirate" this cd to play it in my car.   Ridiculous.

Any new cds I buy in the future that have this issue will be returned.  

Louis Russell

Quote from: 563 on October 05, 2005, 01:16 PMAny new cds I buy in the future that have this issue will be returned.  

Me too!  I bought a new cd last week.  One of the dual disk with cd on one side and dvd on the other.  The cd side is protected and it will play ok in the cd player at home.  About half of the time I have to reinsert it in the cd player in the truck to make it play.  It works on one notebook computer but not the other.  No more dual disk for me and if I buy a cd that will not work in my players they are definately going back to the store.  

Tony

Since this topic was last kinked around, I've noticed more problems with newer CD's.  It is annoying, especially since I have fianlly moved into the MP3 portable player realm.  But nothing is more annoying than having CD's not read in my car player.  I did buy a $15 cassetter adapter thing to plug my Ipod Nano in.  At least I can listen to those files in my government car.  

Did you know it costs extra to get a cassette player put in a car nowadays?  We have them instead of CD players that come stock, because the bureaucrats that run goverment think if we have CD players in our cars, we'll be distracted while we travel hundreds of miles a week around the State working cases.  The justification I finally cooked up for tapes players so I can use said plug in device (with my portable CD player prior to the Ipod)?  We dictate all our reports to cassette, and tape all of our interviews with witnesses for transcription purposes.  So we need casstte players to listen to interviews, review tapes, etc.