Topic: Close Encounters  (Read 2219 times)

Danno

Close Encounters
« on: October 05, 2005, 02:37 PM »
My wife and I live out in the country, so I am able to do a lot of off-beat things like going out in the yard and having a fire in the burn barrel at two in the morning just for kicks.

A few nights ago my dog Buddy and I were doing just that, him laying in the dewy grass and me idly poking at the fire with a stick, when I happened to glance across the road out front -- and right there in the sky was this Technicolor-orange flying, smoking, glowing UFO.

At first I thought I was seeing a distant passenger jet on fire. What I saw was a small bright-orange glowing oval slowly moving laterally across the night sky, followed by a massive, jagged smoke trail that went on for miles. The whole scene was amazing, bigger-than-life, almost like I was seeing special effects. But it was RIGHT THERE in the sky in front of me. It was absolutely stunning.

I became uneasy, though, when I realized that this thing was moving too fast to be a jet. If anything, it now looked like a huge meteorite because of its speed and smoking trail, but the trail went up, down, zig, zag - a meteorite trail would have been straight. Something was
STEERING this thing.

So now my jaw's dropping and I'm completely creeped out. I took a couple steps forward and muttered "Holy cow", or at any rate something holy, and then just froze, staring hard. I tried to quickly deduce whether this thing was going further away or coming back towards me, trying to decide what to do if it headed my way. I was still trying to figure out exactly what it WAS, too, this flying, glowing, flaming, smoking ball. Now it looked like an out-of-control alien spacecraft looking for a place to land. Like a REAL one. It was incredible. I couldn't take in what I was seeing - I was just rooted there, staring, a human 'deer in the headlights'.

Then all of a sudden, the scene shifted a little -- just a little -- and I saw that the UFO was in fact the orange, just-risen moon shining through a tiny perfect hole in an otherwise unbroken cloud bank, and the smoke trail was moonlight coming through the hole and illuminating bits of cloud bottoms in a long, snaking, smoky-looking line.

Geez.

I'd almost forgotten this entire embarrassing incident, too, but tonight a similar close encounter jogged my memory and prompted me to write them both down.

While chasing a rabbit earlier this evening (don't get upset; he never catches them), Buddy fell into one of the soggy ditches that circle our yard, so I had to give him a bath. Later, well after dark, I took him back out in the yard to run around and dry off. After a few minutes, I noticed he was standing at the edge of the ditch behind our house with his head lowered, apparently staring at something in the woods across the ditch (we've got a solid mile of woods behind our house). I went over to see what was going on and I heard this crackling noise in the woods, a constant, loud snapping whoosh, like something big was coming right at us and didn't care that we heard it.

I kind of hop-stepped to the back door, quietly calling Buddy to come with me - I was thinking heck, it could be a bear, play it safe. Then the cat ran out while I was letting Buddy in, and of course you can't get a cat to come to you, so I went after the cat to bring her back in, all the while thinking wouldn't it be stupid if I got killed by a bear while trying to save a cat that could probably just hide under the car anyway.

So I left the cat to her own devices and hustled back into the house. That's when I heard the washing machine refilling itself, and remembered that I'd already begun washing the towels I'd used to dry Buddy. I also remembered that the rinse water from our washer empties right into the ditch behind our house. Right exactly where I'd heard the 'bear'.

Maybe I should just stay inside from now on.

Offline Rick

• Copper Member
  • lLrr
    • The Classifieds
Re:Close Encounters
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:02 PM »
Maybe you should quit drinking...LOL
...::..::::..::::..::::..::::....

DRWM

Re:Close Encounters
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Nice!  Cool stories.  :)

At least you can laugh at yourself about them.

Offline JeepnDrummer

• Cafe VIP
  • Ding, fries are done!
Close Encounters
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I can't believe I read all of that just to be let down in the end.  ;D

Recently something happened that scared me a bit.  It was about 2 AM and I was assembling my belongings to be packed & shipped the next morning by the movers for my upcoming tour in Korea.  Since it was late it was very quiet.  I was in the living room where it meets the hallway--about 10 feet from the front door of my house--when I heard someone knocking on the door.  At first I thought it might be kids playing the knock and run thing, but then realized it was a school night.  My heart started beating faster as I thought it might be someone trying to get me to open the door so they could barge in and rob me.  I quickly moved from the line of sight of the front door (it has a small window) and down to one of the bedrooms.  I kept the light off and attempted to peak out from the curtains.  The motion-activated light never turned on, so I couldn't see anything.

Finally, I went up to the front door and peaked out through the glass.  No one in sight.  After I calmed down and went back to my business, I heard the ice-maker dump a load of newly made ice.  Hmmmmmm.......sounds just like someone knocking on the door.  It was a relief, but still somewhat embarrassing.  :)

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
Close Encounters
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 07:42 AM »
My best friend lived in New Orleans for a few years, so I spent a lot of time there in my early-mid 20's.  One afternoon, before heading out to see Jimmy Buffet at Jazzfest, we wandered across the road to the small park situated on one of the levees.  Now mind you, we each had a giant, 44 oz.  cup filled with Sprite and Crown Royal (ok, it was the 2nd or 3rd big cup of the day!!).  So, we're sitting on this bench, catching up on things when we here and see a HUGE splash in the Mississippi about 20 yards down the levee from us.  This splash repeats a fe times and we start speculating the source.  We finally figur out it must be a channel catfish, and based on the size of the spalshing, its about 40 pounds.  So we get all excited because we are expert fishermen  ;) and boogie across the street to his apartment, and grab some fishing gear.  We rush back and still here the beast thrashing about.  As we crest the top of the levee we notice there is a small landing dock right where the  fish is splashing and we notice a couple sitting on the pier, laughing, having fun and tossing giant chunks of broken concrete into the water, causing the splash!!  So, we hung our heads and slinked off to stick to being drunk 20 somethings!!!

On a side note, we saw Buffet, the Allman Brothers, Dr. John, Marcia Ball, Max Roach's band, Better Than Ezra and a host of smaller acts that year at the JazzFest.  Sure am going to miss that place.
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

ddong

Close Encounters
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 06:36 PM »
I got one,

I had just moved into my new house a few days earlier. I was cooking my first pizza, and kicking back on the couch after a long day of work. It was about 2 in the morning, and I heard a thud. My dog jumped up, hair standing up, and started growling toward the door. I assumed it was one of my buddies at the door. I get up flip on the porchlight, and open the door, to find noone. Instantly, I got a big chill, and thought someone might have been about to break in, but heard me moving around, then took off. It was my first house, and I lived alone, so I felt kinda vulnerable. So, the next day, I went out and bought a 45.

A few days later, I heard the same thing. Same reaction from the dog, and all. Then I realized that the noise coincided with the oven heating up.....DOH!

The noise still freaks the dog out.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram