• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Napoleon Dynamite

Started by SteveR, October 09, 2005, 12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveR

OK, just to be clear on where I stand, I *love* this movie and I can pretty much quote it from start to finish.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but it is what it is.  Maybe I'm just a FREAKIN' IDIOT, GOSH!

Anyway, everyone I know that has seen this movie either loves it or hates it.  I don't know of anyone (who has seen the movie) who doesn't have strong feelings either way.  

So, if you've seen it, did you love it or hate it?

Jim Martin (cavanman)

"... every one knows I'm training to be a cage fighter"

and..

"I dunno....build her a cake or something"

Love it. Watching it for 3rd time tonight with a friend who hasn't seen it before.

Love the Time Travel device also.  ;D

vexen

I thought it was a horrible movie. Although most people i know love it. Its just not my sense of humor, it was like a bunch of little skits. seems like it should have been something on SNL or MadTV. Both of which i'm not fond of. I only liked the celebrity jeopardy from snl.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: vexen on October 09, 2005, 03:17 PM
I thought it was a horrible movie. Although most people i know love it. Its just not my sense of humor, it was like a bunch of little skits. seems like it should have been something on SNL or MadTV. Both of which i'm not fond of. I only liked the celebrity jeopardy from snl.

Funny you mention SNL because Jon Heder (star of Napolean Dynamite) was the guest host on SNL last night ... along with "musical" guest, Ashlee Simpson.

Napolean Dynamite is one of those movies that you have to watch several times to really enjoy. The first time you watch it, in my opinion, it look at it and wonder what's the scoop. The question is whether you want to take the time to watch it again and again to enjoy it ... making it a cult classic ... ala Rocky Horror Picture Show. Personally, I don't want to see Napolean Dynamite more than once in order to enjoy it. To me it was like SNL meets Fargo; "funny" ... in a weird sort of way. By the way, I only say Fargo once ... and that was enough.  :)

Oh well ... to each their own. I'm not surprised people can't enough the movie Napolean Dynamite however. I'm sure the more you watch it, the funnier it gets. I think my problem is that too many people pumped the movie to me, so I was expecting much more than I got. Who knows, I may watch it again ... but I can tell you right now it will be alone, without my wife, but she didn't like it at all. In fact, I know a lot of women who didn't like the movie; they also don't like The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, etc.

DWdrmr

Funny you should mention that movie,Steve. The brewery where I work has hooked up with a local "alternative"(whatever that means) radio station and they are going to show it outside on the side of one of our buildings. It's a bring your lawnchair........no coolers,please,we'll sell you beer, type of event. I did'nt know anything about the movie,so I did'nt know if I was going to go. So,it's worth seeing,huh?

felix

I really liked it.  We watched it before all the hype I guess and have always liked weirdo B movie type stuff.

But then my wife's best friend said that I reminded her of N.D. and then my old lady went around the house calling me "Napoleon" for about a month.  That was kinda weird and something I didn't really enjoy either (cause I thought the N.D. was more a less a retard).

Louis Russell

Quote from: felix on October 09, 2005, 04:02 PMand then my old lady went around the house calling me "Napoleon" for about a month.

My wife has called me a lot worse than that.   ;D

JeepnDrummer

I loved the movie!  The quirkiness of the characters was great....it made me want to scream out, "GET A CLUE!"  ;D  NP's brother is such a dufus and his uncle is so cool (in his own mind).  The dance scene was killer!

The first time I saw the movie I thought it was filmed in Utah.  Actually, it was filmed in Idaho, but the scenery is similar to parts of northern Utah where I've lived for about 12 years.

psycht

Your mom goes to college!

Tkitna

I hated it the first time i watched it, but after several viewings (HBO will do that to you sometimes), i've come to really like it. I didnt know that Deb (the girl that digs Napolean and has the one pony tail to the side) was the little girl in Waterworld (another movie I thought was decent, but people hate).

Danno

I loved it. How could you not love it? It's FUNNY. GOSH.

I really dug towards the end when Napoleon got up on stage. Wasn't expecting that at all.

HDT

I saw this movie when it first came out on DVD, and I have to tell you, when it was over I didn't quite know what to make of it.  The next day I was sitting at my desk at work, thinking about it, and it struck me just how funny the movie is.  The more I thought about it, the funnier it got.  It's like it had to soak in, or something.  It is now on my top ten list of all-time favorites.  

It peaked out pretty fast, though.  I think K-Mart was selling "Vote For Pedro" T-shirts a couple of weeks after the DVD came out ::).  

mapexdrummer1234

stupid movie.........

drumz1

I guess that I'm just getting old and don't understand what "comedy" really is these days, but.......

To me, watching that movie was about as much fun as picking fleas off your dog - and trust me, I've seen the movie MANY times on the tour bus.  We have twelve members, counting the band, and out of the twelve, I think myself and the bandleader are the only ones who don't think it's funny.  I've tried my best to like it, and it just ain't happenin', so to speak.

After seeing the flick for about the umpteenth time and getting nothing out of it, I usually just go to the back of the bus and watch my television in my bunk.

Oh, well, I'm not going to be judgemental here.   I'm glad that everyone else enjoys it, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

Regards,
drumz1

Christopher

Quote from: drumz1 on October 10, 2005, 04:32 PM
I guess that I'm just getting old and don't understand what "comedy" really is these days

You're not alone.

Actually, I'm feeling more and more removed from popular culture in general as of late.

Just today, I learned of this chap.

His name is Buckethead.

Appropriate I suppose, as he insists on wearing a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on his head like a hat while on stage.

He also wears a mask.

Now, I cant really say much about that because Im guessing that I would too if I insisted on wearing a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on my head.

Bucketheads main claim to fame is that he played with Guns and Roses for a time after Axel Rose added new players post Slash and the boys.

I find it hard to express just how stupid this guy looks to me.

I got the same feeling when I first saw a Rob Zombie video where he and his bandmates were dressed like seriously authentic looking, filthy homeless guys.

I really just cant relate. I guess Im getting old too.

So drumz1, I know how you feel.

Stewart Manley

Quote from: Christopher on October 10, 2005, 09:45 PMActually, I'm feeling more and more removed from popular culture in general as of late. I really just cant relate. I guess Im getting old too.

Can I come and join your gang?

Sadly, I have a feeling I'm turning into my father.

felix

Man, you never heard of Buckethead?  That guy is a shred king who writes some incredible music.  Definitely check out "Monsters and Robots". Check out some of his scales- over the top stuff.

Guns and Roses is not his claim to fame!  It was a step down for him musically and artistically.  But I guess we all have to sell out sometime doing something.  

Christopher

Quote from: moosetication on October 11, 2005, 02:05 AM
Can I come and join your gang?

Yes!

Welcome aboard; take a seat where you like.

The only thing we ask is that you refrain from wearing discarded fast food containers on your head.

Christopher

Quote from: felix on October 11, 2005, 06:38 AM
Man, you never heard of Buckethead?  That guy is a shred king who writes some incredible music.

Admittedly, I'm out of the loop on this guy.

Call me superficial, but I just cant fathom any good reason why he has a frigging chicken bucket on his head.

Ill check out some of his tunes and try to forget his choice of headwear.

felix

It comes from a tune he wrote *seriously* about a retarded boy who's parents kept him in the chicken coop and all all they gave him was a guitar for entertainment.  He lived *in real life* with his parents along time and harbored some resentment I guess and kinda views himself as a freak.

Anyways, the song is on " Monsters and Robots"  maybe you can Itune it.  I forget what it's called but it is extremely cool- on the creepy side.  Good for Halloween.

Now why I know this I have no idea.

Sorry for the hi jack.