• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Great Job

Started by Louis Russell, October 16, 2005, 02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Russell

Great job Bart, the Cafe is running much quicker now.  I appreciate your hard work in keeping this a place were I love to hang.  

Bart Elliott

Thanks Louis.

I've been putting in a LOT of long days/nights this week. I'm shutting down the old box (dedicated server) tonight ... so I had to get everything migrated over to the new box (dedicated server) in time.

The Drummer Cafe forum is running a new and improved script now; the one I've been promising like forever! Glad to hear it's running faster for everyone. I was curious how it would be now that I'm back to running it from the domain name and not the new IP Address. The subdomain idea ( http://community.drummercafe.com]community.drummercafe.com )was also a concern, but thus far, as long as the DNS servers do their part, we'll be fine. I would have had the forum up sooner, but the tech running the DNS server didn't add the proper A record ... like they said that had done 24 hours prior. It takes time for the Internet to fully propagate, so I had to wait another 12-24 hours. Which by the way, if you should see a drop, like you can't access the forum in the next few days ... don't worry. The Internet can take up to 4 days to fully propagate and update all the routers around the world. This means that, depending on the path your ISP takes to get to my box, you may have a good path, then suddenly not. Any little drops like this should be resolved by the end of the week ... if you have them. Of course, at any time, there can be breaks in the Internet; happens all the time, and with some more than others.

I've got a lot to do with the frontend of the Drummer Cafe, but I'll just have to take that one day at a time. The most important thing is the forum, but I really want to have the frontend happening before I leave for PASIC and spend all that money on advertising.  :)  ;)  8)

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Of course I second Louis' post.

Great job, Bart.

I've done similar work with transferring web hosting, email servers and domain hosting. I know it is time consuming and can be frustrating.

So I say again, thank you Brother Bart for your work which results in blessing so many people.

Jim

Joe

I keep coming across my posts where I used an em dash ( ââ,¬", Alt-0151 on your keypad) and needing to edit them; the space where the em dash was is now occupied by a question mark.

Other than that, nice work. ;D

Stewart Manley

Gosh, this is a bit quick...

Bart Elliott

Quote from: moosetication on October 16, 2005, 06:34 PM
Gosh, this is a bit quick...

Surprisingly fast considering that there's over 140Mb in the database (almost four years worth). Now THAT is a LOT of text!

I worry that the forum won't be able to handle the load, but thus far it seems to be doing well. If it starts to be a problem, I'll archive the early years ... making it available to read, but not to post.

Stewart Manley

140Mb? Pfui ... a tiddler by most standards. And page generation time is usually the smallest component of the overall delivery time. Less than a quarter of a second for this particular page, so database performance is obviously not a limiting factor right now. As long as the indexes are maintained properly it should continue to perform at this level (all other things being equal) for quite some megabytes yet...

I notice the cache expiry times for the left-side navigation menu images on the front page (www.drummercafe.com) are set wrong - they're being reloaded from the origin server every time you mouse in and out of them. The same is partially true for the top navigation, but only for the background (shaded) part.

Front page is nice, by the way... very crisp and fresh.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: moosetication on October 16, 2005, 06:55 PM
I notice the cache expiry times for the left-side navigation menu images on the front page (www.drummercafe.com) are set wrong - they're being reloaded from the origin server every time you mouse in and out of them. The same is partially true for the top navigation, but only for the background (shaded) part.

Front page is nice, by the way... very crisp and fresh.

Thanks.

Yeah ... I have the cache turned off right now because I'm doing a lot of changes. It's very frustrating to see the changes made when I have the cache on, as I'm sure you will agree.  :)  I'll turn the cache on ... later.

HDT

Your efforts are MUCH appreciated, Bart.  Thank you. 8) 8) 8)

Mister Acrolite

Great job, and the  http://drummercafe.com/index.php?]front page   looks AWESOME!

Tony

Yeah, what they said.  Especially the front page, it looks great.

Bart Elliott

Thanks.

There are some blank areas on the frontend that will be filled in soon, but I'm going to try and keep it clean and less busy than many sites you see. May not have all the eye-candy, which I could do, but all of that drives me crazy to be honest.  I want some, I want it to be fun, but not so overwhelming.

drumz1

Loading a page is twice, maybe three times as fast as it used to be.  

I love it.  Thanks.

You're doing a heck of a job, Bart.

Regards,
drumz1

SteveR

Quote from: Bart on October 16, 2005, 02:31 PM
The Drummer Cafe forum is running a new and improved script now; the one I've been promising like forever! Glad to hear it's running faster for everyone. I was curious how it would be now that I'm back to running it from the domain name and not the new IP Address. The subdomain idea ( http://community.drummercafe.com]community.drummercafe.com )was also a concern, but thus far, as long as the DNS servers do their part, we'll be fine. I would have had the forum up sooner, but the tech running the DNS server didn't add the proper A record ... like they said that had done 24 hours prior. It takes time for the Internet to fully propagate, so I had to wait another 12-24 hours. Which by the way, if you should see a drop, like you can't access the forum in the next few days ... don't worry. The Internet can take up to 4 days to fully propagate and update all the routers around the world. This means that, depending on the path your ISP takes to get to my box, you may have a good path, then suddenly not. Any little drops like this should be resolved by the end of the week ... if you have them. Of course, at any time, there can be breaks in the Internet; happens all the time, and with some more than others.

OK, I have no idea what any of that means, but what I do know is that this place sure if fast now!  ;)

Seriously, I had the old server number in my bookmark so it took me a little while to figure out what was happening.  Just found you here today.

Being without this place for a few days really makes you appreciate it more, even more than usual which is a LOT.  Thanks Bart.  

Bart Elliott

Quote from: SteveR on October 17, 2005, 07:29 PM
OK, I have no idea what any of that means, but what I do know is that this place sure if fast now!  ;)

Seriously, I had the old server number in my bookmark so it took me a little while to figure out what was happening.  Just found you here today.

Being without this place for a few days really makes you appreciate it more, even more than usual which is a LOT.  Thanks Bart.  

Thanks.

And sorry if you didn't get the email I sent to all the members, letting everyone know of the move. I had the default pages from the old address pointing to the new location, but that only lasted for a day and a half.

Roger Beverage

Quote from: Bart on October 16, 2005, 06:46 PM
Surprisingly fast considering that there's over 140Mb in the database (almost four years worth). Now THAT is a LOT of text!

I worry that the forum won't be able to handle the load, but thus far it seems to be doing well. If it starts to be a problem, I'll archive the early years ... making it available to read, but not to post.

Actually, a severe edit of the Upcoming Gigs, Drum Pics, and Let's hear you play would make the newer posts easier to get to.

It is a lot faster now though.  Great job.

Roger

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Roger Beverage on October 17, 2005, 09:22 PM
Actually, a severe edit of the Upcoming Gigs, Drum Pics, and Let's hear you play would make the newer posts easier to get to.

It is a lot faster now though.  Great job.

Roger

At the end of the year, my plan is to lock those threads (maybe even delete them), and start new current threads on the same subject.

Actually working on getting the Photogallery working the way I want to people can post pics of their drums there. Probably make it for VIP Members at first.  :)

Bart Elliott

Just wanted to let those of you know ... those that use the view  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?action=recent]Recent Posts  ... I am aware of the problem, that there is no longer a link at the bottom of the page which allows you to go to the Next 20 posts.

I'm working on it and hope to get things back to normal very soon. For now, as a temporary solution, I've increased the Recent Posts link to display the last 50 posts.

Bart Elliott

Thanks to Ranman ... he pointed out that the link for the Next is at the VERY TIP TOP of the Recent Posts page. I wasn't looking above the Drummer Cafe logo, but that's where it is. My scripting buddies at SuperMod told me that's where it was, but I didn't believe them.

Anyway, I'll be correcting that and placing it where it should be, back down at the bottom!

smoggrocks

i got my blue, i got my simplified fonts...

i'm happy! ;D

congratulations on the successful migration, i'll miss that funny avatar, though.

say, have you tried a neti pot for your shnoz? very gross, but very effective!

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/Yoga/neti/Netipot.htm

Bart Elliott

Quote from: smoggrocks on October 20, 2005, 12:31 PM
i got my blue, i got my simplified fonts...

i'm happy! ;D

congratulations on the successful migration, i'll miss that funny avatar, though.

say, have you tried a neti pot for your shnoz? very gross, but very effective!

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/Yoga/neti/Netipot.htm

Great!

I haven't tried the NetiPot, but I have my own way of doing the same thing. I mix up my own saline solution, with a little baking soda to make it gentle on the nasal tissue, lean of the sink and squirt the solution in using a plastic syringe. Works great ... and yes, it's gross ... but much better than swallowing all the sinus drainage or having it hang in your throat only to cough it out!  :P

Rick

Quote from: Bart on October 20, 2005, 01:45 PM... and yes, it's gross ... but much better than swallowing all the sinus drainage or having it hang in your throat only to cough it out!  :P

Can ya be a little more descriptive please? ;D