• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Studio Inventory: what's all this gear for?

Started by smoggrocks, October 20, 2005, 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoggrocks

finally had a chance to get a little studio time in, so i decided to inventory all the stuff that's still sitting in there from the previous tenant. it's starting to bug me, especially since i brought in my gretsch kit & could use more room. i don't feel like the place is mine.

but anyhow, here's a detailing of everything i found:

Midi Man Keyboard by Radium

2 Behringer Ultra-Patch Pro Multi-Function 48-pt. Patch Bay [lots of input thingies]

Joe Meek Current Sense VC 6QCS  British Channel w/ mic pre/photo optical compressor/Me-equalizer channel

Digi Design Digi 001 (it has 2 crop-circle shaped mic inputs]

Alesis D4 16 bit drum module stereo samples

Digitech Digital Signal Processor

Behringer Ultra Fex Multiband Sound Enhancement Processor EX3100

Akai Prof. Midi Stereo Digital Sampler S3000 XL

Virus B Advanced Simulated Analog Synthesizer

Nexus Midi Switcher

2 Mackie Speakers HR824 High resolution

Stanton Vestax Pro Mixing Controller PMC 625

Sony Dual Tape Deck

Plexwriter 12/10/32S

Denon DN-2000F Remote Control Unit

Behringer Composer Audio Interactive Dynamics Processor MDX2100

Audio Technica Mic (AT4040)

Sony Audio/Video Control Center (very dusty)

Denon 2000F Dual CD Player

Various & sundry mics, cables, computer monitors, keyboard, hard drives w/ dvd slots & what looks like a zip drive.

Also lots of past due bills, skanky coffee cups and glasses with wine residue.

With the exception of obvious stuff like the monitors, tape decks, control center, mics, etc., i really don't know what anything is. i got the sense it was stuff used for sampling, or some kinda post-production audio-video thing.

is there anything on this list that is of particular use to a drummer?

Drumlooney

Smoggy seems like you have an instant recording set-up there.  I'll send you a private message and detail it for you.

Ranman

jokerjkny

seriously,

especially those mackie monitors, and the AT 4040 mic!  try taking a class at New School, and you might be able to put that stuff to good use.  heck, you could start doing some great demos of your own!  wish my last tenant was as generous to me.  ;)

Roger Beverage

Sort out what you can use and put the rest on e-bay, or sell it direct to Cafe members.  Will likely pay the rent on your studio for some time to come.

Roger

Ranman

Go here:
http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php

....and run searches on the stuff you don't reconize....you have some great stuff there.

Tony

Word.  Sounds like he/she left you an instant recording studio!!  The ProSoun Web link is a good place, check out the basic DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)  articles.  The Digi001 is the Pro Tools LE interface, sound like you have a control surface and monitors, etc.  Your band shouldn't have to spend any $$$ doing demo work anymore.

felix

Man, why the heck would anyone leave all that gear just collecting dust.  Was the dood murdered or something?  Really weird!

James Walker

Quote from: Roger Beverage on October 20, 2005, 09:51 PM
Sort out what you can use and put the rest on e-bay, or sell it direct to Cafe members.  Will likely pay the rent on your studio for some time to come.

Smogg, I haven't been keeping up with this, altho I do recall you mentioning this topic previously...

Are you sure that the original/previous owner of this gear isn't going to come by the studio some day to claim his/her equipment?  There are some really nice items in there, and like Felix, I'm amazed that this person simply left them behind.

Even if you're legally in the right to sell (or even use) this gear, it could get ugly if the previous owner comes knocking on the door to find everything gone..

Ranman

Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2005, 09:01 AM
Word.  Sounds like he/she left you an instant recording studio!!  The ProSoun Web link is a good place, check out the basic DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)  articles.  The Digi001 is the Pro Tools LE interface, sound like you have a control surface and monitors, etc.  Your band shouldn't have to spend any $$$ doing demo work anymore.

Yes I was pricing the Pro Tools interface last week (concidered by many the best included software to use out there) and I can't recall the price but it was scary....I remember thinking maybe there was something free I could install on my unused dual CPU rackmount instead.

smoggrocks

Quote from: James Walker on October 21, 2005, 10:25 AM
Smogg, I haven't been keeping up with this, altho I do recall you mentioning this topic previously...

Are you sure that the original/previous owner of this gear isn't going to come by the studio some day to claim his/her equipment?  There are some really nice items in there, and like Felix, I'm amazed that this person simply left them behind.

Even if you're legally in the right to sell (or even use) this gear, it could get ugly if the previous owner comes knocking on the door to find everything gone..

i hear ya.

i'm really not sure where this person is. i got *the sense* that he had a falling out with my landlord, and perhaps left that behind for non-payment of rent or some other thing? i really don't know, and since the landlord isn't around much, i haven't had the chance to dig deeper. what did concern me was a while back, the landlord suggested putting a deadbolt on the door. first i thought he was thinking of my safety only, then i got to wondering if maybe he didn't want the old tenant going in there. wouldn't that be something: i'm rocking out on my kit, only to be blown away by a disgruntled former tenant who couldn't access his gear.

but i absolutely would never sell anything without getting a read on the situation, preferably from the gear owner direct. the whole situation is a bit odd.

it's nice to know that the gear is useful to me, though! i've been eyeing the mackies for some time. if i do get to keep the stuff, i have a chum [one of our many former bassists] who is a gearhead, and who could show me how to make it all work, which is cool. i'm usually intimidated by technology, but if someone shows me what to do, i'm cool.

i'll letchas know the outcome when i track down my landlord!

smoggrocks

hmm. update came faster than i expected...

got hold of my landlord, who assured me the room was definitely mine. he gave me the # of the former tenant, and what i discovered is-

former tenant had big falling out with his studio partner [apparently, they had some dj-ing and video editing svc.], and they stopped speaking. they abandoned the studio shortly thereafter b/c they were too pissed-off to talk.

as they own most of the gear jointly, former tenant is unable to sell without former partner's consent. but since they're not speaking, he can't get consent. i suggested that since the other guy jumped ship, a certain amount of time could pass after which he couldn't rightfully lay claim to the goods, but former tenant didn't feel good about that.

i politely told him he needs to get a hold of the dude and get some closure, and at a minimum clear out the stuff so i can set up the space i'm paying for.

so we left it at he was going to clear out his items, call the former partner, and we'd take it from there. he seems fine with selling most of the stuff if he can, but it sounds like the goods are very pricey. the mic alone is like $400, and he said he's got 5 other people interested in the mackies.

we'll see where it goes. i'm thinking if i show cleavage, i might be able to walk off with the mackies. :o ;D  but as of right now, i don't think i'll be walking away with much of anything. too convoluted.

2B cont'd...

Roger Beverage

Since the two former partners are not speaking, how about you be the selling agent and take a fat commission ? Or, as their stuff is taking up the space you are paying for, charge them for storage ?

Roger

felix

Quote from: smoggrocks on October 21, 2005, 03:50 PM
hmm. update came faster than i expected...

we'll see where it goes. i'm thinking if i show cleavage, i might be able to walk off with the mackies. :o ;D  but as of right now, i don't think i'll be walking away with much of anything. too convoluted.

2B cont'd...

Yep, if you can score the mackies cheap- 4 or 5 for the pair you will be very glad you did.  The Audio Technica mic is alright if you ask me, same with the Joe Meek box.  The rest of the stuff is not so great/really.  Jose's da' man- he will help you for sure.

That is if you want to bother setting up your own little demo recording rig.  Not a bad idea really.