Topic: Worst Album (LP) Covers  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
Worst Album (LP) Covers
« on: October 21, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Got this link from a friend this morning.  Enjoy. . .

http://www.jimlawrence.net/LPCOVERS/LPcovers.html
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
Re:Worst Album (LP) Covers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I was about to say that he got all of his content from http://bizarrerecords.com , but he has a couple of covers that I don't remember seeing either there or at Show And Tell Music, to which he links at the last page.  I do enjoy looking at bizarre record covers in any case.

Anyway, if you want more, go to  http://bizarrerecords.com]Bizarre Records  as I mentioned.  The webmaster is a serious, passionate collector who has a really neat interface with which to browse, and there's even a letters page from many of the cited artists, with most of the letters complimentary in nature!  There's also sound samples for many.

It was here that I learned of the "traveling family group posing in front of their transportation" genre.  And, yes, 70s religious disco exercise records.  The religious ones in general are something elseâ€"although, the singers on some of the more popular (read: covers regarded as weirdest) records are of decent quality, which I was interested to see.

I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Danno

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 10:40 PM »
"All My Friends Are Dead" by Freddie Gage -- I wonder who told him that was a GOOD idea? That's hilarious.

And that Herb Alpert cover (Whipped Cream & Other Delights)-- I still think that's the best album cover photograph there ever was. By anyone. Ever. Once you've seen it you never forget it.

Cool link, Dave.

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 01:26 AM »
And that Herb Alpert cover (Whipped Cream & Other Delights)-- I still think that's the best album cover photograph there ever was. By anyone. Ever. Once you've seen it you never forget it.

Second that!  My dad has that one...

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
Worst Album (LP) Covers
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 08:37 PM »

EVERYONE's Dad had that one!!  ;)

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
Worst Album (LP) Covers
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:53 PM »
EVERYONE's Dad had that one!!  ;)

Everyone's Dad?  Shoot, I have that one myself.   8)
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Danno

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:26 PM »

Yeah, I've never forgotten that cover. After this thread reminded me of it, I e-mailed a photo of the cover to my older brother last night, asking him if he remembered it, too. I haven't heard back yet -- I guess he's still staring at it.

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
Worst Album (LP) Covers
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 08:31 AM »
While the Herb Albert is a perrenial favorite, Jazz Music for Cops and Robbers gets my vote!!!

The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

Offline drumz1

• Cafe VIP
  • Trust me, I'm a drummer.
Worst Album (LP) Covers
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 04:14 PM »
Everyone's Dad?  Shoot, I have that one myself.   8)

You're not alone, Louis - I still have mine, too.  Every time I have a piece of pie with whipped cream, I always think of that picture.  Wow,what a babe......

I'd have loooovvvveeeed to have been in that photographer's shoes on the day that picture was taken!!

:-)

Regards (woof woof),
drumz1
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Offline KevinD

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
    • My Space/bigwedge.com
Worst Album (LP) Covers
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 11:35 AM »
The music of Herb Alpert was probably some of the first music I'd ever heard growing up. My folks had his albums AND 8 tracks, I remember watching his specials on TV. Great stuff.

I do believe I can find their original of "Whipped Cream" if I dig through their record collection.

The other day I was in a record store and saw a newly released version commemorating the 40th anniversary of the original release.

A few items of trvia:

Hal Blaine played drums on the album.

The model was named Dolores Erickson, she was actually 3 months pregnant at the time of the shoot, but you couldn't tell from the results!!

They put a dollop of real whipped cream on her head but used shaving cream for the rest.

She has a website that shows this cover, and some others that she did way back.

http://www.whippedcreamlady.com/

"If it weren't for Thomas Edison we'd all be watching TV in the dark." - Attributed to various people over the years.

http://www.myspace.com/bigwedge

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Very nice site!  That Nat King Cole cover on the first page of albums is just beautiful; probably my favorite.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram