• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Using quotes when posting

Started by Stewart Manley, October 25, 2005, 05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart Manley

A message to new folks using the forum's "quote" feature when replying to posts.

Be careful to ensure that the new text you type is outside the...

[quote][/quote]

...tags which surround the text you're quoting. If you get it inside, your comment gets buried in the chunk of message you've quoted and is very hard to pick out. It's also then difficult to quote it when you're trying to reply to it.

This has been a public information announcement. Now, back to our scheduled cynicism after this message from our sponsor...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Support Drummer Café by becoming a VIP Member![/move]

Thank you.

Jon E

QuoteA message to new folks using the forum's "quote" feature when replying to posts.

Code:

...tags which surround the text you're quoting. If you get it inside, your comment gets buried in the chunk of message you've quoted and is very hard to pick out. It's also then difficult to quote it when you're trying to reply to it.

This has been a public information announcement. Now, back to our scheduled cynicism after this message from our sponsor...

Support Drummer Café by becoming a VIP Member!

Thank you.

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID!!!   ;)

smoggrocks

aw, man. i thought it was a grammar question. had my editor at the ready!

Joe

If I may add something, too:

The quoting of a whole post is often unnecessary; it's a nice thing to pick out the point or two that you wish to address, and then omit the rest.  I'll use moosetication's OP as an example, if he'll forgive me.  Let's say I wanted to remark upon his little tagger at the end of the post; instead of doing this:

QuoteA message to new folks using the forum's "quote" feature when replying to posts.

Code:

Support Drummer Café by becoming a VIP Member!

Thank you.

LOL!

I might do this:

QuoteThis has been a public information announcement. Now, back to our scheduled cynicism after this message from our sponsor...

and then hopefully post more than 'LOL'; perhaps the very reason I was LOL-ing in the first place, but this is window-dressingââ,¬"'LOL' is perfectly fine.  

Louis Russell

TO ALL DRUMMERS:

After due and careful consideration of certain regrettable practices that have recently been brought to my attention, I am again desirous of reminding you of the fact--which has, of course, been pointed out on several previous occasions but which nevertheless has apparently been overlooked or ignored by an all-too-preponderant proportion of our present personnel--that all members using this forum should make an earnest, sincere, continuous, and persistent effort to eschew and avoid all excessive wordiness, repetitive phraseology, unnecessarily complicated sentence structure, lengthy, involved, or obscure paragraphs, and other tautological and/or grammatical errors to indite or transcribe an internal communication of any nature whatsoever to one or more fellow musicians.

Joe

Quote from: Louis on October 25, 2005, 06:59 PM
TO ALL DRUMMERS:

After due and careful consideration of certain regrettable practices that have recently been brought to my attention, I am again desirous of reminding you of the fact--which has, of course, been pointed out on several previous occasions but which nevertheless has apparently been overlooked or ignored by an all-too-preponderant proportion of our present personnel--that all members using this forum should make an earnest, sincere, continuous, and persistent effort to eschew and avoid all excessive wordiness, repetitive phraseology, unnecessarily complicated sentence structure, lengthy, involved, or obscure paragraphs, and other tautological and/or grammatical errors to indite or transcribe an internal communication of any nature whatsoever to one or more fellow musicians.

LOL!

Todd Norris

TO ALL DRUMMERS:

After due and careful consideration of certain regrettable practices that have recently been brought to my attention, ..........

HA!  But you forgot plagerism.  If my memory serves me, I put out some ridiculous variation of that thought several months ago...

;)

Louis Russell

I wrote that in 83 or 84 when packet was big on ham radio and everyone was sending packet messages constantly.  Some didn't realize it was a joke and changed the way they sent packet.  All the time others of us were laughing out butts off.

Todd Norris

Quote from: Louis on October 25, 2005, 07:20 PM
I wrote that in 83 or 84 when packet was big on ham radio and everyone was sending packet messages constantly.  Some didn't realize it was a joke and changed the way they sent packet.  All the time others of us were laughing out butts off.

OK, I should have known that I wouldn't have had an "original" thought!

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Drum4JC on October 25, 2005, 07:22 PM
OK, I should have known that I wouldn't have had an "original" thought!
Not around Louis!  ;D

To appease those who wanted this to be a grammar lesson, the general rule is to place periods and commas inside quotation marks.  Is that enough highlighting?  ;)

Louis Russell

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on October 25, 2005, 07:47 PM
those who wanted this to be a grammar lesson,

So, what about my paragraph long sentence?  What is the general rule on that?   ;D

smoggrocks

Quote from: Joe on October 25, 2005, 06:21 PM
If I may add something, too:
Let's say I wanted to remark upon his little tagger at the end of the post; instead of doing this:...

I might do this:and then hopefully post more than 'LOL'; perhaps the very reason I was LOL-ing in the first place, but this is window-dressingââ,¬"'LOL' is perfectly fine.  

after much delirious lolling brought on by this post and, well... delirium, i feel compelled to say:

the semi-colon in your first paragraph should be a period, and "instead" the start of a new sentence, with an initial cap on the I.

LOL!

Joe

***I've removed a nitpick that appeared here; I don't want what is a valuable thread with a reasonable request from the OP to be bogged down with grammar-warring, which adds to the clutter that I was speaking against in the first place.  So, I apologize for posting that at all.

agogobil

TO ALL DRUMMERS:

Thank you, Louis.  You took the words right out of my mouth.

Danno

Quote from: Louis on October 25, 2005, 08:20 PM
So, what about my paragraph long sentence?  What is the general rule on that?   ;D

If the run-on sentence is funny, like yours was, you are relieved of adherence to the rules of punctuation.

drumz1

TO ALL DRUMMERS:

Yeah, what he said.

drumwild

TO ALL DRUMMERS:

This is Dan's co-worker typing.

His head just exploded. Brains everywhere. Who's gonna clean it up?

Louis Russell

Quote from: drumwild on November 03, 2005, 09:06 AM
This is Dan's co-worker typing.

Brains everywhere.

See, I told everyone that man had some brains!   ;D