Topic: The next time you move your server...  (Read 2745 times)

moxman

The next time you move your server...
« on: October 29, 2005, 10:21 AM »
I know this switch happened a few weeks a go but I still run into this problem everytime I log in to the forum from a different computer.. all my bookmarks are toast.

The next time you move your server, can you at least email everyone/ or put a re-direct link from the old page/  or make an announcement?

I wonder how many forum users got lost over this..

Other than that its still a great site!

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I could be getting old and forgetful but it seems I received several e-mails on the change.  Are you sure you have a current e-mail listed?
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline Dead Trooper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 11:39 AM »
I too received at least one email announcing the whole process.
It's still Rock'n'Roll to me.

maestro

Re:The next time you move your server...
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:43 AM »
All my bookmarks are still there - and available from any machine I log in to.

I, too, received several updates on the migration process..

Probably the ones that shouldnt be here . . . or have a really special relationship with their bookmarks... :P

DrumKat

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I received more than one notice in my email.
Kudos to the Drummer Cafe Staff for being so cool and making the move so painless. :)

Offline Larry Lawless

• Cafe VIP
  • Become a Cafe VIP member NOW!!!
    • Lawless Percussion & Jazz Ensemble
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 02:35 PM »

Kudos to the Drummer Cafe Staff

????

Don't you know that Bart outsources all the web works to a sweat shop in Pakistan?
Blessed are they who have nothing to say and cannot be persuaded to say it.
- James Russell Lowell

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 03:34 PM »
I know this switch happened a few weeks a go but I still run into this problem everytime I log in to the forum from a different computer.. all my bookmarks are toast.

The next time you move your server, can you at least email everyone/ or put a re-direct link from the old page/  or make an announcement?

Other than that its still a great site!

Well, I did all that I could. I emailed EVERYONE more than once about the switch and to be watching for any further changes.

I hound EVERYONE about maintaining a currect, accurate email address, so I can contact you in case of changes. In fact, keeping a current accurate email address is part of the membership agreement (see  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?action=loadpage&content=rules.html]Forum Rules ).

I created a special email address by which forum members could contact me if they were having login problems. Less than 6 people had problems. If you don't have the Drummer Cafe on your White List, or if your ISP is blocking email, there's nothing I can do about it; sorry.

I had URL forwarding for several days before shutting down the old server. Again, trying to help those who may not have received all the emails. The domain name, www.DrummerCafe.com has always worked, and at that address I posted up-to-the-minute reports on how the migration was going. I clearly stated when the forum would be back up and running.

So ... I take a little offense when someone complains about the quality of my work. Sorry. I went the extra mile ... no ... I went the extra ten miles for everyone ... doing my best to make this as painless as possible. I didn't feel like paying to have the old server continuing to operate for an additional month just so everyone who blocks the email, doesn't read the email, or doesn't visit the forum at least once a week, to have things go perfectly the way THEY want it.

Sorry that I didn't meet your expectations Rimshot_Splash. Maybe I'll do better next time.  ::)

moxman

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Hey Bart,
Holy cow man - take an Advil! No - my email is not blocked by my ISP - my email is up to date, you are not on an IP blacklist - but I didn't receive any email notification at all... based on what you said above its obvious you did go the extra mile to alert everyone about the switch.. but for some weird reason none of that worked for me - so go figure..

The reason I posted was to provide some HELPFUL user feedback - if you take offense to helpful user feedback - then I would suggest that you should take along walk and re-examine the petulant nature of your comments above...

Offline Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 04:37 PM »
Let's re-examine your original post, shall we?

No "did you announce it, because I guess I may have missed it" or "would it be possible, please" or any admission of the possibility of an error on your part. Just a curt "next time, announce it."

Bart's response was appropriate, I think.

sptucker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 04:39 PM »
Hey Bart, you're doing a freaking fantastic job.

There, I said it.   ;D

BTW, I'm old-fashioned and don't bother with those silly bookmark thingies.  I've always just typed "www.drummerc" in for the address and let Windoze fill in the rest.  Hasn't failed, well, ever....

Ranman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Hey Bart,
Holy cow man - take an Advil! No - my email is not blocked by my ISP - my email is up to date, you are not on an IP blacklist - but I didn't receive any email notification at all... based on what you said above its obvious you did go the extra mile to alert everyone about the switch.. but for some weird reason none of that worked for me - so go figure..

The reason I posted was to provide some HELPFUL user feedback - if you take offense to helpful user feedback - then I would suggest that you should take along walk and re-examine the petulant nature of your comments above...

Holy cow Rimshot_Splash take two Advil! and think before you press [Enter]. You have some pretty wacked out comments above. As if bart is going to "take along walk and re-examine the petulant nature of your comments above..." come back with some crazy found clearity and name his next kid after you.

Rimshot_Splash give your head a shake...its makes sense anyone with such a successful forum would want everyone know of the changes. Except you?

Online Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Hey Bart,

Rimshot_Splash ... your original post comes across as very accusatory. In fact the time of this thread implies that next time I should do a better job.

You have constructive comments to make, send them to me privately where you know I will see them. The way you went about it makes me feel like you wanted to opine, letting EVERYONE know that you think I dropped the ball. I love helpful user feedback ... but you are assuming that what you've posted is helpful ... and it's not; sorry. Next time maybe you could make your comments without finger pointing. You've been here for a little over a month, and you are the only member complaining ... oops, I mean giving me "helpful user feedback".

Before YOU start telling ME anything about "next time" you need to be certain that your statements are true ...

I DID email everyone; several times as a matter of fact. I DID put a re-direct link on the old page. I DID make an announcement.

I've gone the extra mile to register email accounts with various ISPs and email providers ... such as Yahoo and Hotmail. I test to make sure that Drummer Cafe email reaches these accounts so that all of our members with similar accounts will have no problems. You have a Yahoo email account, and I know for a fact that Yahoo accepts email from the Drummer Cafe with no problems. So, if you didn't get an email, you either:

1. Don't have an accurate email address registered with the Drummer Cafe.
2. Accidentally deleted the emails I sent.
3. Don't read your Bulk mail at Yahoo ... since that is where the emails would wind up when I email 1500 members at the Drummer Cafe.
4. You have the Drummer Cafe email marked as spam with Yahoo.

That's the only four things that could have happened. Well, there is a chance that the email got lost; it does happen from time to time as the Internet is not perfect.

Instead of attacking me yet again, telling me to take two Advils, YOU could apologize for your words and lack of having any fact to base your "helpful user feedback". I tend to respect people a lot more when they admit their own faults and apologize for their false words and/or wrong actions.

Enough with this; this thread is being locked down. I have more important things to tend to now.  8)

P.S. The Drummer Cafe forum has a Bookmark feature. If you would use that you won't every have to worry about the bookmark problem. I can't help it that you bookmarked on your local computer; I have no control over that and can't be responsible when the bookmarks don't work.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram