Topic: Ebay auctions  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Vintage Ludwig

• Cafe VIP
Ebay auctions
« on: October 29, 2005, 06:11 PM »
So, Ive been watching an item on Ebay for the last 5 days.  The auction is whats called a "live" auction, and one had to pre-register (which I did) and be approved to participate in the auction.  This particular auction was put on by a well known auction house down in L.A.

There was a ton of very rare rock-n-roll memorabilia, some were extreme rarities indeed.  Autographs-set lists from concerts-handwritten notes etc......the item I was after was a pair of Promuco 5b sticks used at a 1977 show at the Forum in L.A. by the late John Bonham.  The sticks were the real deal-and concert used.  Bonzos sticks were all embossed with his name on them.  The show they were used at was the same show Keith Moon played Bonzos kit.   I was at that show.  The show was also known as the "badgeholder" show.

So, I wake up today-and start my day doing my usual chores around the house.  Next, I get side tracked by the wife and wind up getting involved with our horses.  One thing leads to another, AND I FRIKKIN MISSED THE AUCTION!  The sticks were bought by a bidder the auction floor at the L.A. convention center.  They sold for $1000.00 and I was sickened by my lack of attention to the auction.  Im really bummed.  I cant believe I totally blew it and missed out.  While a few folks have single sticks supposedly used by Bonham-thats extremely rare.  See, Bonham NEVER tossed his sticks to the crowd. Never.  If one was lucky enough to be backstage, he'd hand 'em out.  And this was a pair.  A full kit owned and played by Bonham would be the Holy Grail of Bonham memorabilia.  These were the next best thing-

Danno

Re:Ebay auctions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 12:35 AM »
Jeez -- I was trying to think of something to cheer you up, but that IS a bummer.

I missed out on a cymbal on eBay a couple months ago -- someone outbid me at the last second -- and I was bummed for days. And it was just a crummy cymbal.

Sorry you missed the sticks.

Offline David Crigger

• Honorary VIP
    • www.davidcrigger.com
Ebay auctions
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 01:48 AM »
Yes, sorry about the sticks.

Future food for thought - check into esnipe

I see something I want to bid for on ebay, I figure out the absolute highest price I'm willing to go, place this bid with esnipe and they post it on ebay 6 seconds before the auction closes.

I don't keep track of the schedule, and rarely even go back and peek. When the auction closes I get an email saying whether I won or lost - no more keeping track of auction times, etc. Has woked great for me.

Not sure if this would've worked with a live auction, you'd have to check that out.

David

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram