Topic: Question on manuscript ("sheet music") paper quality  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
Re:Question on manuscript ("sheet music") paper quality
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 11:02 AM »
I'm sort of relieved, honestly, to hear of the prominent use of pencil when writing music.  I forgot to note that what I related dated back to the 70s and 80s (not to mention a good bit of personal preference), so I apologize for not noting that before.  That may make a difference.

I'd like to go on a dissertation upon writing instruments, but I'll link to it here rather than go on further:   http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=15657;start=0#lastPost]Here we are .

I also see the papers at the sites linked within this thread, and I'm quite shocked at the expense!  I'm sure it's justifiable, but stillâ€"especially when something like a score sheet would seem to cover fifteen seconds of music at the most, by my estimate upon looking at an example.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline David Crigger

• Honorary VIP
    • www.davidcrigger.com
Re:Question on manuscript ("sheet music") paper quality
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 12:13 PM »
I also see the papers at the sites linked within this thread, and I'm quite shocked at the expense!  I'm sure it's justifiable, but stillâ€"especially when something like a score sheet would seem to cover fifteen seconds of music at the most, by my estimate upon looking at an example.

These papers have always been costly - real good quality stuff - but now the size of the market for such products has reduced astronomically. First just the decline in the prevalence of muscial ensembles that make use of written parts - and then more recently, the professional worlds turn to computers for much of this type of work.

The use of Finale (or similar) allows written music in its various stages of creation to be handed from composer/arranger to orchestrator to copyist by email until the copyist prints out the final parts.

For the one man operation - writing the score into Finale means your parts are just a few tweaks away from being complete and ready for printing. Nothing more dreadful than pouring everything you've got into creating a score to then have to sit down a slavishly copy it out by hand.

Anyway, the cost of some of this stuff is often times less the issue as sheer availablity - the papers aren't a problem, but things like music tape and music folders (or folios) can get downright scarce. I had to wait over six months for new music folders for Burt Bacharach's band as the ONE company remaining making them kind of wasn't - and for awhile wasn't sure if they were going to continue to or not. There used to be many companies making these - but not anymore.

David

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram