Topic: The band RUSH  (Read 21794 times)

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
Re:The band RUSH
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2005, 09:25 AM »
Hemispheres with the headphones on... My original band was supposed to cover "LaVilla Stangiato" and I have the drum transcription for it.  

hemispheres is such a great album. i think that and farewell to kings are two of my favorites.

a silly aside on la villa: some guy i had a crush on in high school, but who was less than impressed with me, wanted me to prove i was a real rush fan, like he was. he tested me by asking what the lyrics to la villa were.

i decided he was a peckerhead after that.
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Offline Rhyvven

• Cafe VIP
  • I Drum, therefor I Live
    • Cover band
The band RUSH
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2005, 09:53 AM »
Well Smoggy, I won't challenge his "peckerhead-ness" stature, but if you wanted to be REALLY a stickler, there are "lyrics" to "La Villa" from the Exit Stage Left album, but they are kind of indiscriminate ramblings from Geddy I believe. Perhaps this is what Mr. P.H. was referring to, but somehow I doubt it.
Man's Maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child at play.

Offline Todd Norris

• Cafe VIP
  • Psalm 150:5
    • Fusion Drums
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2005, 05:30 PM »
Ha, funny.  I seem to remember reading a liner note somewhere or an interview where Geddy said that it was something along the lines of paddy-cake paddy-cake, baby needs a new pair of shoes...  Of course, I haven't a clue how to substantiate my claim...

billyP

The band RUSH
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2005, 02:43 PM »
I discovered Rush when I was 14 after finding and borrowing a Grace Under Pressure tape in a friends Dads car. I was hooked. I used my lunch money to buy all there records within a few weeks. A friend of mine even made fun of me because I kept all of my Rush records seperate from the rest. And then I got to see them live from the 10th row on thier Power Windows tour. There is nothing about these guys that I do not love, in fact they are the reason that I begged my grandmother to buy my first Bass guitar, which I still have. Then I started with the 6 string and now onto the drum kit. I know that alot of people do not like them because of Geddys voice and I have even heard someone complain that thier music is too "heady". But I think that that is what sets Rush fans apart from fans of other bands. Whenever I saw a Rush bumper sticker or someone with a Rush T-shirt, I knew that they were part of the fold. That they too understood. Neil has also touched me deeply with his writing, especially his book about healing after the loss of his daughter, because I also lost my only child tragically earlier this year. All I can say to them is Thank You.

gus

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2005, 11:19 PM »
neil peart is the biggest influence on my current style of drumming.  i listened to Rush incessantly from the first day i got my drum set until about 8 years later, in thanks to my older brother being a Rush fan and insisting to me "dude, neil peart is awesome".  thanks big brother.  

i have since learned from and appreciated other awesome drummers, but i think my taste in accenting and rhythmic diversity is largely based on those early influences that neil's playing had on me.  i'd love to meet him one day, and i hope that he realizes what he has done for drumming.

Muddog

The band RUSH
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2005, 02:40 AM »
Hi everybody,
   I'm new here...just happened on the site as I was looking for a drummer's forum to spend some of my late night break time.
    Looks like some good conversation happening here on my favorite band RUSH.  Anybody have R30 DVD yet?  I noticed e-bay has it for about 25 bucks with a 2-CD set also.  
  I had the pleasure of seeing them in Red Rocks (Denver, CO).   Seeing that new drumkit up close is worth the price of the ticket alone!  
   Nice to meet you all.

chefdoug

The band RUSH
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2005, 12:34 PM »
Welcome to the Cafe Muddog. Yes, I picked it up on release day last Tuesday, I couldn't let a day go by as I am a Rush geek to the fullest. I have not watched it beginning to end yet but what I have seen is excellent. I watched most of the interviews and old clips, and about half of the concert and it is really well done. The sound is much better than on Rush in Rio due to the reduction of crowd noise alone. I just went to Best Buy, they had the deluxe package(with audio cd's) for around $29 and the DVD only for $20. This is,of course, a "must own" DVD for every Rush fan.

drumwild

The band RUSH
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2005, 12:03 PM »
I picked up RUSH IN RIO yesterday and watched it last night. Couldn't figure out why the drums were so shaky! I put it together when I saw the riser spin. I'd think it would have been more stable. Watching the toms jiggle like jello was distracting.

And he wasn't playing with traditional grip, either! That's all he used in his latest instructional DVD. Wonder what's up with that!

Finally, they over-dried my laundry and ruined the elastic in my underwear.

Offline Robyn

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
Wicked little video tribute
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2006, 09:52 PM »
My spousal unit found this for me on his motorcyle board--very nicely done and great fun to watch! A nice little tribute to Neil Peart! (Sorry if this is a repeat topic--I checked and didn't find any other posts about it)

robyn

http://www.neilpeart.net/movies/yyz_vid.html
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too, can become great.           ~Mark Twain

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
Re:Wicked little video tribute
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Yep, it made the rounds some time back; apparently a member here knows the guy who did that.  It's very well done.  It was a nice way to be introduced to the piece, which I had not heard prior.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

genetics17

Wicked little video tribute
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2006, 10:38 AM »
ha, that was sooooooo good. that guy did such a good job with the animation. must have took a while to create.

Offline TamaDrummer

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Ever since I was introduced to Rush just a year or so back, I have appreciated and loved Neil's drumming.  There's a lot to learn from him.  I had the great oppourtunity to see Rush for their 30th Anniversary Tour.  Just amazing.  
But I do have to agree with Mr. A on Geddy's singing....Not the most pleasant noise I have ever heard.
People won't always remember what you said, and people won't always remember what you did, but they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

DougB

The band RUSH
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2006, 04:28 PM »
I picked up RUSH IN RIO yesterday and watched it last night. Couldn't figure out why the drums were so shaky! I put it together when I saw the riser spin. I'd think it would have been more stable. Watching the toms jiggle like jello was distracting.

I was thinking the same thing.  I've watched the DVD dozens of times.  I still don't understand the home appliances on the set.

One of the best parts seeing Neil warm up before the concert.  He plays harder and faster in his warm up than I can play during a performance.  He is a machine - probably a cyborg.   ;)

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
The band RUSH
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2006, 09:15 AM »
The dryers are there to visibly counter balance Gedy's small bass rig in comparison to Alex's wall of amps.  It's expalined in one of the shorts on the DVD.
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

Offline Snowdogyyz

• Silver Member
  • Go Wolfpack!
The band RUSH
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2006, 03:37 PM »
The dryers are there to visibly counter balance Gedy's small bass rig in comparison to Alex's wall of amps.  It's expalined in one of the shorts on the DVD.

Yep, exactly right. They used those during the Vapor Trails tour, then for R30, they added a rotating vending machine.  Geddy plays mostly through the PA, so the stage looked empty on his side with all of Alex's amps over there. They even had the dryer's mic'd! (just for appearance of course)
I still be diggin' on James Brown.....
http://home.mindspring.com/~stevecarmichael/index.html

Tae

The band RUSH
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Rush is great. I love their style but i must say that Neil Peart is ______(no word can describe how great of a drummer he is).

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
  • It is OK to be a little Nutz!!!
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2006, 08:29 PM »
I have to agree with Mr. A.  Geddy Lee is a great bass player but his voice bothers me after awhile.  I have seen them several times and It all started with 2112.  A few years ago I was listening to the Public Radio station and I heard some of the best Buddy Rich that I have ever
heard.  I must have listened for about 20min. and then it was over.
I was surprised to find out that it was Neal Peart's tribute to Buddy Rich.
What a great drummer and I will not say that I can play every lick of Peart's music but I do practice his material from time to time and I think he is in the top 3 drummes of all time.  We played Fly By Night and In the Mood in the 70's.  New world Man in the 80's.  I like Geddy singing an octive lower better than I did in the 70's.  Also, I agree that Live in Rio was a great DVD.  Haven't seen the new one.
                                   Nutty
I love The Cafe. "God First". If there is music today, it is a great day".
"Tama Star Classics and Paiste cymbals for ever" !!!

JamesC

The band RUSH
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2006, 10:34 AM »
Neil's a terrific drummer, but I'd rather wrestle angry porcupines than listen to Geddy Lee sing.

If they did an all-instrumental album, I'd probably dig it.

Mr. A., for those in your situation, I highly recommend what I like to call, "Introduction to Rush for those who can't stand Geddy's voice".  i.e., the album, PRESTO.

(my guess is you've heard tons of their stuff, but I thought I'd offer Presto out there as a reccomendation).

Presto was the first Rush CD I heard (this was back in 1989 - I hadn't even heard the song Tom Sawyer yet).  I wasn't into it, put it on the shelf for months, but this "drummer guy" kept appearing in Modern Drummer, so I gave it a few more listens.

It has very little of the high pitched singing, and is still my favorite Rush CD.

Fast forward a few months/years, and I have since been about a B+ grade Rush fanatic.

I've been to 5 or 6 shows - every tour at least once since Roll The Bones.  There will never be anything like that first Rush concert, will there?  That was incredible.

I recently read two of Neil Peart's books - Ghost Rider and Travelling Music.

I'll let everyone else be the judge on the books, but they've given me a pretty different impression of the guy than his lyrics have given me.  I was pretty surprised to hear the profession of his "best friend".  Wow.  (Note: I'm not offering my opinion on the situation, but I was pretty darn shocked).

Nevertheless, I'll likely always be a pretty big Rush fan.  Rush made such an impression on me at an early age, that it's just hard to shake off, you know what I mean?

I grew up in the 80's, and just as no movie could ever compare to Star Wars (I'm about a B- fan), no band will ever fill the spot in my music life that Rush does.  Not because they're necessarily my favorite band, (or that Star Wars was the best movie ever made), but they just hit me at just the right time, you know what I mean?

I'd be hard pressed to not buy a ticket next time they come through town.  Then again, after reading Neil's opinion of being on tour, I'm not sure I want to annoy him by making him play a concert...  :P

Offline Shane Stylianos

• VIP / Subscriber
  • You only have to be better than you were yesterday
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I suppose there isn't much to say that every other Rush fanatic here hasn't said.    So, Ditto.  More inspired by his lyrics than his drumming, but that should only serve to show how inspired by him that I am, in general.
"If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can't be solved." Zen Proverb

junglelord

The band RUSH
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2006, 05:29 AM »
my first inspiration after Johnny Cash  :o
long story, but anyway i still dig the man in black too (God rest his soul).
introduced to Rush in 1976 all the worlds a stage, then saw the Farewell to Kings front row. ;D
here is my Neil Peart Kit with 3003 special
edition Sonor's and DW Edge Neil Peart snare.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20002.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20012.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20014.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20005.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20008.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20003.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20009.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20011.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20006.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~jward59/sept120%20001.jpg
best snare i have ever tried, no lie.
I can play it all, and i love it.
i play as much different stuff as i can, but i like to be creative as well as able to reproduce others, so i think outside the box...but i have a incredible memory for music and drum parts...so i can clone just about everything music wise.
but i practice, practice, practice, rudiments, open playing, independance, polyrhythms, syncopations, shuffels, hand drums, electonic samples (TD3) and anything i can't do.
biggest influences lately are Thomas Lang, Scott Travis, Shannon Larken.
still working on stuff from the Thomas Lang clinic. :o
 Scott Travis and Shannon Larken opened my mind about other styles of hihat approaches other then open stick (left hand hihat, right hand ride).
also i just lowered the left hihat to snare level (Dom and vic firth web site suggestion), and use moller technique with the left hand...triplets, and 16th's :D
keep your mind open, stretch in your playing, get everything involved, hand's over feet and vica versa, any rudiment top to bottom, left to right, and right to left.
 :D

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram