• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The band RUSH

Started by tamadrumster, November 03, 2005, 07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tamadrumster

Who here is a big fan of RUSH? If so, you'd be happy to know about their 30 year anniversary two set dvd coming out Nov. 22nd. It is a terrific dvd that I was fortunate enough to get from a friend that works at umvd. It includes a concert they did in Germany in 2004 and also footage of the bands previous music and interviews they've done throughout the years. Its also nice that the dvd was filmed in high definition making the dvd video and sound quality great for fans to enjoy. I found an article of the dvd online if you're interested: http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/sanctuary/rush_r30.htm
P.S. Neil Peart is one of the most amazing drummers I've ever heard in the music industry today

Eskil Sæter

I don't think you'll ever find a drummer badmouthing Rush. Dislike them, maybe, but noone can deny the impact Neil Peart has had on modern drumming.

I'm waiting for the DVD too. Rush In Rio was awesome, and I reckon this one should be even better. Apparently Neil was seen smiling (!!!) on this tour  ;D

DWdrmr

"The Professor".....he's a drummer who has truly spent his life developing his technique. I've seen him live only once. The promo tour of "Signals"

junglelord

i was a member of another drum forum....i had posted about neil being nominatied for a grammy for his drum solo....
well the amount of negitive comments from some people (drummers) floored me....
just jealous i said, well did that ever ruffel their feathers.
;)
i love neil, and rush, i am canadian, and thats that.
i also can play rush to a tee, have a neil peart dw snare (best snare i ever played) and can almost complete his drum solo... :D
my favorite solo is from all the worlds a stage album.
cannot wait to get that new dvd.
thanks for the heads up.
:P

smoggrocks

ooh, now there's a nice little giftie i can request for the holidays.

hard to believe i've been into the band since like 1976.

*shudder*

i'm old!

SteveR

Say what you want about Neil but I, for one, would pobably not even be playing drums if not for his influence on me as a teenager.

I'll bet there are countless other thirty-something drummers that feel the same way.  Thank you Neil!

Mister Acrolite

Neil's a terrific drummer, but I'd rather wrestle angry porcupines than listen to Geddy Lee sing.

If they did an all-instrumental album, I'd probably dig it.

Tony

Anyone whose been around here long enough will know that one of the things that will set me off on a tirade is badmouthing Neil Peart.  I even got into with Mr. A. a long time ago over Neil.

Before I saw and bought Hemisphere's, drums were just background fodder in rock music, to me.  Oh, how all that changed that fateful day I walked into the record store when I was 11.  

Neil Peart, besides being a great drummer, is also a stellar example of perseverance.  I highly recommend all his books to get a glimpse into the complexity of this guy.

smoggrocks

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on November 04, 2005, 09:39 AM
Neil's a terrific drummer, but I'd rather wrestle angry porcupines than listen to Geddy Lee sing.

lol.

i remember hearing that when moving pictures came out, geddy was 'forced' to sing in a lower register because his high shrill was making radio engineers insane.

i don't know the validity of that, but i was bummed when he changed [and they changed, musically]. i dug his voice.

there's nothing like getting a little tipsy and belting out "swimming, whirling, still descending, like a spiral sea UNENDING!!" [or something to that effect]

rush was big, big, big for me. i really wanted to play drums after hearing neil, but didn't even consider it given apartment life and x-chromes. so i picked up guitar instead.

i shoulda gone with drums, for sure.

Ranman

I saw RUSH live when I was 15.

The lead singer actually pointed me out saying that I looked like I was enjoying the music and the (somewhat quiet) croud could take a lesson from me.

True story!

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

The band even made more of an impact on me once I discovered the lyrics.

Snowdogyyz

I've seen Rush 5 times (Counterparts, 3 times on the Vapor Trails Tour and once on the 30th tour) and they put on a spectacular show. Those 3 guys make some serious noise up there. Neil hits harder than most drummers I have seen live. Neil was my inspiration to start drumming (Exit Stage Left anyone?) in the first place. I put him in my top 5-7 players of inspiration,  no doubt.

sletti

Quote from: shoeless on November 04, 2005, 10:22 AM
The band even made more of an impact on me once I discovered the lyrics.
neil even writes most of the lyrics, doesn't he?  i always thought that was cool.

chefdoug

I must chime in as an admitted Rush fanatic. I have seen them at least once on every single tour since Power Winows in 1986(I was 15). I can't wait for this DVD, been impatiently waiting since I heard about it a few months ago. There should be some cool old archive stuff included as well. I loved the cheesy promo video for "Anthem" on  the Rush in Rio DVD.  They are easliy my all time favorite band and Neil is still my favorite drummer. Though I actually started out playing bass, it was Geddy that inspired me to do so(along with John Entwistle) But my fascination with drumming begins and ends with Neil, of course with lots of others in between. I got to see them twice on the R30 tour, the second one being at Radio City in NYC where they hadn't played sinced the early 80's, what a great concert hall and it was the best Rush show I had ever seen.

smoggrocks

Quote from: chefdoug on November 04, 2005, 01:28 PM
I got to see them twice on the R30 tour, the second one being at Radio City in NYC where they hadn't played sinced the early 80's, what a great concert hall and it was the best Rush show I had ever seen.

i was at that early 80s radio city show. awesome, awesome event. what was great was that security was cool and it wasn't sold out, so we all got to rush the stage and witness the show up close. no one was a jerk, no one pushed and shoved -- it was a really fantastic vibe for a hard rock show.

Tony

Quote from: smoggrocks on November 04, 2005, 03:00 PM
i was at that early 80s radio city show. awesome, awesome event. what was great was that security was cool and it wasn't sold out, so we all got to rush the stage and witness the show up close. no one was a jerk, no one pushed and shoved -- it was a really fantastic vibe for a hard rock show.

GET OUT!!!!  I was at that show as well!!!  Moving Pictures tour?  I was young, my Dad took me.  He was just happy it wasn't KISS.  Must have been influential.  I've seen Rush 5 or 6 times, going back to that tour.

smoggrocks

NO WAY!

(Way!)

whatta trip. yah, it was MP. i think i saw that tour like 7 times. it was killin'.

surely you had to have spotted me -- one of the lone females clad in leather, pumping her fist and flickin' her bic. lol!

i miss those daze!

drumwild

I've been a Rush fan since the days of 2112 and Fly By Night.

Saw them get their 30 Year Lifetime Achievement award at the Concrete Convention in the late 90s (sans Neil).

Some of you might remember my buddy Bobby Standridge, the guy who made the Neil Peart animated video. Took him a year and a half.

Well, Neil decided to put it on his official page!

If you haven't seen this yet, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

http://www.neilpeart.net/movies/yyz_vid.html

Todd Norris

Quote from: SteveR on November 04, 2005, 09:19 AM
Say what you want about Neil but I, for one, would pobably not even be playing drums if not for his influence on me as a teenager.

I'll bet there are countless other thirty-something drummers that feel the same way.  Thank you Neil!

Me too.  I joined the Rush wave with Moving Pictures as an 8th grader.  I've been to something like 7 shows since then and loved every one of them.  I had been playing drums for a few years before I heard Rush for the first time, but probably no other album had as profound an influence on me than Moving Pictures.  Looking forward to the new DVD!

Todd Norris

Watching that animation for the umpteenth time just reminds me of how much I love that cherry red Tama set.  Did you see the article in Drum! magazine a month or two ago.  That set is available to buy........  Darn.  only $20,000 short.....