Topic: Zoro: The Commandments of R&B Drumming DVD, good one ?  (Read 971 times)

kolp

Zoro: The Commandments of R&B Drumming DVD, good one ?
« on: December 04, 2005, 05:16 AM »
Hi, i have his book and i wonder if his DVD deserve to be buy, does he explain some stuff not wrote in his book or show which technique he use for specific rhythm or it's just a "whatch me play" DVD ?
Thank's

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
Re:Zoro: The Commandments of R&B Drumming DVD, good one ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 10:09 AM »
yes,

Z not only plays a few beats, but he explains the genesis and raison d'etre of each beat.  terrific DVD.
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

kolp

Re:Zoro: The Commandments of R&B Drumming DVD, good one ?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 10:38 AM »
yes,

Z not only plays a few beats, but he explains the genesis and raison d'etre of each beat.  terrific DVD.

Thank's i'll buy it so  :)

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
Zoro: The Commandments of R&B Drumming DVD, good one ?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 11:04 AM »
i have the vhs version of that, and yes, it's really good. he gives historic perspective for a lot of r&b/soul music, and shows you specific grooves. there's this one little cool thing he does i love where he breaks up a 16th-note groove with a little splash on the cymbals. he sprinkles it [in small doses] throughout some of his grooves to great effect.

i love zoro. i think he's the perfect example of what a drummer should be like: fluid, fiery, thoughtful, talented, gracious, humble, and educated [in other words, everything i'm not ;D]. i find his playing deceptively simple.

it's a good, fun, well-produced and informative video. get it!
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram