Topic: One armed bassist  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

• Cafe VIP
One armed bassist
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:58 PM »
Now let's go out there and melt some faces!

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
Re:One armed bassist
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:12 PM »
My goodness, he's loads better than most bassists with two arms.  Wonderful stuff.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Man, that guy cooks..... :o   I've seen two guys race motocross with one arm over the years....   :P
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

portnoymex

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 12:24 AM »
Hell!, that guy is awesome, I cant imagine what he could do with both hands

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 06:22 AM »
Hell!, that guy is awesome, I cant imagine what he could do with both hands

I kept waiting for him to use the hook as a pick!

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
One armed bassist
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 02:45 PM »
I commend his ability to not let a missing hand stop him.   But what he's doing isn't really any different than from what another bassist who wanted to play lots of notes would do.    
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
One armed bassist
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 08:49 PM »
...what he's doing isn't really any different than from what another bassist who wanted to play lots of notes would do.    

Very true.  And, upon a quick thought, he probably benefits from having an obscenely low action that would make a two-armed bassist emit all sorts of buzzes, snaps, twangs, grumbles, and other assorted sonic bric-a-brac that is not becoming to the usual interpretation of an electric bass.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

• Cafe VIP
One armed bassist
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Just goes to prove, there's room for everyone in music.

Offline Mark Schlipper

• Cafe VIP
  • drum + hand
    • chock full o' creamy goodness
One armed bassist
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Very true.  And, upon a quick thought, he probably benefits from having an obscenely low action that would make a two-armed bassist emit all sorts of buzzes, snaps, twangs, grumbles, and other assorted sonic bric-a-brac that is not becoming to the usual interpretation of an electric bass.

My point exactly.   All bassists fret notes with one hand.   Its just a matter of having those notes sound easily and cleanly.  Low action/light strings, hot pickups, maybe even a small strip of felt up at the nut.    All of these things will facilitate easier and cleaner  hammer-on playing.   Its basically the principle Emmet Chapman went by when creating The Stick.

Not to take away from his playing at all.   I just wouldn't want a guy like this to be considered a "novelty" as that doesn't credit him as it should.  
Making bad art.  Saying stupid things.  Implimenting my master plan to be forgotten when I'm gone and forgettable while I'm here.

The Luna Moth
me
Perish the Island

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 12:32 AM »
i'm pretty sure that's  http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=22&storycode=8943]bill clement .  guy went thru LOTS and somehow became the incredible bassist he is.  and yea, like 563 mentioned, he's no novelty.

btw, i dunno if y'all noticed, but in the clip, he's using his fretless, which is still pretty dam hard to play/hammer on cleanly vs. a regular fretted.  also, he does rocco prestia style 16th's that's nearly impossible to do with mere hammer on's.  many have compared him to a "Les Claypool on steriods" kinda player, and IMHO, that's pretty dangnabbit impressive in itself.  also, its not shown in the clip, but his "slap" technique has to be seen to be believed, and yes, its as ridiculous as it sounds.
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Offline jokerjkny

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2005, 12:42 AM »
btw, wanna see something really freaky?

http://www.bigtoerocks.com/videos1.html
...this aint no time fo' jibba jabba!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram