Topic: In which I hack my mouse's scroll wheel  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
In which I hack my mouse's scroll wheel
« on: December 21, 2005, 06:02 PM »
I use the scroll button about equally as the left button, so you can imagine my distress when yesterday it broke all of a sudden.  That is, it could slightly scroll upward, but downward was right out.

"Oh, hell," I said to myself when faced with the prospect of having to get a new mouse or try to hunt up one around the house that has a ball (I'm way too used to an optical model to reacquaint myself with the ball's friction).  I looked carefully at the bottom, and there was a screw apparent.  I had nothing to lose, so I thought I'd give a chance toward a repair.

It came apart rather easily, and I was slightly surprised to see about ten hairs among the works, as well as a bit of dead skin from where it fell through the gaps between the buttons.  I gingerly cleaned all this out with an alcohol-soaked paper towel and set upon my goal.  Not knowing what exactly to do, I took out the wheel, gave it a cleaning as well as the little wheel-well, and inserted it back in, being careful to align this little metal clip-thing that attaches somehow by the wheel.

I put it back together, and it worked!  It must have gotten misaligned somehow.  But then my attention was drawn toward the rachet-like racket that emits when you scroll up or down.  It's not that loud, but it's certainly distracting when all is quiet, especially late at night.  I had a brainstorm:  what if I remove that little metal clip that I so carefully aligned into that cavity?  I was sure that it was nothing more than a sort of limiter, not unlike when you attached playing cards so that they scrape spoke on a bicycle wheel, only to slow the bicycle down via adding resistance.

Again, I was right!  I took it out, set it aside in a safe place should I want it again, and put the mouse back together.  The action of the wheel, now, is so incredibly smooth.  It's also a lot faster.  Best of all, there's no more annoying rachet noise that reveals to all in a fifty-foot radius my propensity for scrolling constantly.

So, I thought I'd share this; you might give it a try.  It doesn't seem to adversely affect anything, but perhaps someone would know differently, and could offer their opinion?  Also, I disconnected the mouse when messing with it, just in case, lest there be some charge nearby I didn't know about.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:31 PM »
Little did you know.. .  but the minute you removed that little metal clip-thing you began sending clear and constant transmissions back to the Mother Ship.

Uh-oh!  What are those bright lights outside your window?
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:22 AM »
One word.......Trackball!
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram