• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

You Might Be a Geezer Drummer If ...

Started by BigBillInBoston, December 22, 2005, 07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBillInBoston

Paul's "old dog/ new tricks" thread in the music/musicians section solicted some "age related" comments from Paul, Chip71, me, drumz1 and Louis.

That reminded me of a popular thread we did several years ago on the the subject of what qualifies you as a "geezer drummer". I thought it was time to revive it.

Answers can be funny...You might be a geezer drummer if "shuffle" is not only your favorite rhythm but also the way you walk  8)...

or factual...You might be a geezer drummer if one or more of the drums you have bought new came "standard" with a calf skin head.  :o.

I'm sure everyone has the idea, so let'em rip  ;D.

BigBill...Geezer Drummer

Jon E

...... you remember when there were only 5 different sizes of drumsticks!!

..... you know what a "sock cymbal" is.

..... you remember when Traditional Grip was simply called "Grip"!

;D

BigBillInBoston

Related to another recent thread...

You Might Be a Geezer Drummer If ...1) you remember when every drumset came standard with a BD mounted cymbal arm, 2) Visalite drums were the "new" thing not the new/old thing.

BigBill

Ranman

.....you can't remember what forum this is!

DFresh

you want the young'ens in the forum to respect their elders by writing in complete sentences instead of using chat launguage short-hand.

Paul DAngelo

You used the brown rubber practice pad shaped like the Ludwig keystone.  It also doubled as a terrific pencil eraser.

Dave Heim

You have Zildjians that don't have the big honkin' black ink logo.

You have temple blocks that are made of wood and painted red.

You have flat-base stands - and still use them.

You have cymbal tilters with not quite enough teeth in the rachet.  The cymbals never quite angle the way you want them.

You have a clamp-on front hoop bass drum anchor to keep your bass drum from sliding.

You call a bass drum a bass drum instead of a kick drum.  You call a drumset a drumset instead of a drum kit.

You have a non-adjustable/uncomfortable cylinder seat case that matches your kit.

Mister Acrolite

You spray "ruff-cote" on the bald spot on your coated drumheads.

You think matched grip is a newfangled fad.

You know who Haskell Harr is.

You know what The Three Camps is, and can play it.

When you think of "the drummer on the Tonight Show," you think of Ed Shaughnessy.

Jon E

....if your BD beater would occassionaly get stuck in the cuff of your bell-bottom pants.

..... the wingnut for your cowbell was part of the mount, not part of the cowbell.

.... if you remember when Syndrums and Synares were cool.

.... if you remember when every store sold Ludwig drums and Pearl drums were hard to find.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on December 22, 2005, 10:06 AM
You have Zildjians that don't have the big honkin' black ink logo.

You have flat-base stands - and still use them.

You call a bass drum a bass drum instead of a kick drum.  You call a drumset a drumset instead of a drum kit.
Guilty of geezing.

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on December 22, 2005, 10:23 AM
When you think of "the drummer on the Tonight Show," you think of Ed Shaugnessy.
Guilty of geezing.

Quote from: Jon E on December 22, 2005, 10:24 AM
....if your BD beater would occassionaly get stuck in the cuff of your bell-bottom pants.
Guilty of Geezing.

Geez, it looks like Iââ,¬â,,¢m geezing big time.  Maybe you should check on me later today to be sure Iââ,¬â,,¢m ok.

Dave Heim

Quote from: mudlark on December 22, 2005, 10:40 AM

Geez, it looks like Iââ,¬â,,¢m geezing big time.  Maybe you should check on me later today to be sure Iââ,¬â,,¢m ok.

Your AARP card is on the way.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on December 22, 2005, 10:43 AM
Your AARP card is on the way.
Already got one  :P

Gee, this is like my 3rd or 4th post, I better go take a nap.....

Mister Acrolite

You think modern drum corps snare drums sound like Formica kitchen counters.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on December 22, 2005, 11:01 AM
You think modern drum corps snare drums sound like Formica kitchen counters.

(Man, ain't THAT the truth!)

You played in marching band and your drum had a web sling that cut into your shoulder and a metal "leg rest" that cut into your thigh.

moxman

You're a geezer if:
- watching the football game on the couch is more fun than lugging equipment to your next gig. (hey - its good exercise!)
- Sandy Nelson is boss!
- having more than 2 toms is just ridiculous
- your bassdrum head has a vaudeville band name on it
- your snare drum has a musket hole through it
- your snare wires have a rabbit trapped in it
- you know what a Chicago ending is (chink-boom chink-boom    chink-cha- chink-boom!)
- the musicians union ruled all the clubs - and you actually got paid well
- you make a really long list of things of 'you know you're a gezzer if..'
- oh c*** I must be a geezer

Jon E

....if you remember when tympani and bells actually marched ON THE FIELD during a band performance.

.... if you ever said "I'm a tenor player in our drumline", and it meant you played a single drum!

.... if the words  "Zalmer", "Sparkletone", "Vari-Pitch", "8 to 5", "Cortex", "Red Ribbed Model", or "Pang" mean anything to you.

David Jung

Your snare in HS marching band had a leg bracket that you strapped to your thigh and you thought it was neat to tie the other guy's straps in a knot.

When you sub for the church youth band, you overhear "great, we get to play with the old guy...".

There's more dog/cat hair accumulated under your HH/BD pedals than is on your head.

You took all your resonate heads off the moment you got a new set of drums (and now you can't remember where you stored the hoops and tension rods.)

Your wife/kids no longer think its cool to be a roadie.

You spent hours paging through the latest Ludwig catalog (and it was actually printed on paper.)

Mister Acrolite

You think only cheap drums have laquer finishes.

Mister Acrolite

The only muffling devices you're aware of are felt strips and wallets.

Mister Acrolite

You think the guy in the photos in the Haskell Harr book looks like a pretty cool guy to party with.