• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

need advice...

Started by xXxBURYyourDEADxXx, January 01, 2006, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xXxBURYyourDEADxXx

Well my style is   " hardcore " i guess you can say.  and i got the breakdowns down and everything but the only problems im having now is playing fast on my ride and keeping it simple with the snare and bass drum..  everything i come up with sound all hip hop like.. sorry if this is confusing you, im confusing myself

Well if you can make anything of what i just said and have any advice, thanks

Scheming Demon

I'm not all that familiar with hardcore.  However from what you describe you may want to listen to or practice along with the Ramones.

Just about everything that drummer did was fast with the right hand on the ride or cymbal or floor with a straight forward snare-bass pattern.  It'll certainly build up your right hand playing like that.

gammalight6000

try playing fast on the snare and ride, then remove a snare count  by half or slow thw snare down......

BlackEvovii

I have a feeling by hardcore he's referring to bands like God Forbid, Haste The Day, Sinai Beach and the like.  I dont really consider those bands hardcore, but they seem to fall into the niche now.  But, heavy breakdowns would probably be more like burnt by the sun, botch, psyopus...

gammalight6000

what about "most precious blood", i would consider them hardcore...

gammalight6000

that's called death metal mang...

gammalight6000

Dave Heim

Meanwhile, back to the original question. . .

The best way to build speed is to practice slowly and with a metronome.  You have to work out the mechanics of the pattern, get your limbs working together, and get the notes firing in the right places at a slower tempo before you can notch it up.   Increase the speed on the metronome only after you've mastered the lick at the slower tempo.  Be patient.  Be diligent.

Jay Northrop

Playing Black Metal is hard. And since its about the closest to Hardcore that I can think of i'll lend my hand ( since I am in a black metal band ) I always try and work at complex parts that throw me off the most. And for the sake pf band practice i'll do a simple 4/4 beat to keep the song going. Davefromchicago lends a great point. Slow and with a metranome. Get the muscles used to what it is your doing before you go mad crazy with your playing.It will all come in time.After six months of playing two of our songs..finally I am 95% tight with them...it took me that long just to maintain speed and keep my playing precise. But you know what...the first day I didn't mess anything up made me happy. After all the work it finally came together.

Tae

Quote from: xXxBURYyourDEADxXx on January 01, 2006, 09:59 PM
everything i come up with sound all hip hop like.. sorry if this is confusing you, im confusing myself

I have the exact same problem. It seems no matter how hard i try to play a rock beat it seems to often end up "hip-hop like" its not confusing it makes perfect sense. I don't know how it is for you but it just seems natural for me to start playing hip hop like if im playing by myself. its a little easier for me to listen to another drummer and then mimic him. it also helps to play with a backtrack of rock bands without the drums.

Ranman

Quote from: xXxBURYyourDEADxXx on January 01, 2006, 09:59 PM
Well my style is   " hardcore " i guess you can say.  and i got the breakdowns down and everything but the only problems im having now is playing fast on my ride and keeping it simple with the snare and bass drum..  everything i come up with sound all hip hop like.. sorry if this is confusing you, im confusing myself

Well if you can make anything of what i just said and have any advice, thanks

You might want to play along with this guy...

23 Drum Outtakes:  http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm]http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm