Topic: Classics stay, Newbies go...  (Read 19198 times)

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
Classics stay, Newbies go...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Why does it matter what you call different kinds of music? Just listen to everything you can, and make your own mind up about whether you like it.

But it's all music. I think if people spent more time listening and less time categorizing, the world would be a happier place.
I have to agree 100%....Young guys at work are amazed at what I listen to, especially for my age. Anything and everything. I either like it or I don't....I might listen to symphony music and move on to hard rock or country. I'm not big a fan of rap, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate good talent. I refuse to put music in any special order or generation thing. Just yesterday I was amazed to find out that my 9 yr. old grandson loves Elvis.  :o  He was in my truck and said, "Turn that up, it's Elvis!" Completely blew me away! .... I'm with you Mr. A, I either like it or don't. The generations coming up are people. Even a 9 yr. old has tastes in music. Boy, was I glad to hear that....    8)
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

lilblakdak

Re:Classics stay, Newbies go...
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006, 09:30 PM »
think about what you just said. Metallica,Heavy metal.Ac Dc Hard rock. Led zeppelin Fathers of Metal. Most of the general rock-genre specific bands came from these bands. Name one rock band that isn't a specific genre.
ACDC and Zeppelin both crossed between metal, rock and blues. Metallica has even toned themselves down to loose a little of the metal label and appeal to a more moderate audience. Aresmith has as many blues fans as they do metalheads and top 40 fans. Bands like Slipknot, and Mudvayne wont be remembered 10 years from now (unless they change) because they appeal to a very specific audience. Nickelback appeals to rockers, top 40's and even some of the older crowd. So yeah I thought about what I said.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I'm in total agreeance with Mr. A.

I have to agree 100%....

I take it both of you saw the picture of Mr A recently?   ;D
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2006, 09:42 PM »
I take it both of you saw the picture of Mr A recently?   ;D

Yep, love that look....Thought I was in a biker bar.    8)
Paiste-Zildjian

Offline Eskil Sæter

• Silver Member
  • Musician and geek
    • naigewron
    • About.Me
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 01:16 AM »
My take on the whole deal is that every era, every year brings its share of memorable bands. Led Zeppelin is remembered forever, but how many bands and fads from back then have disappeared? Who can say what will and won't be remembered? And what we as elitist musicians remember is very different from what the "general public" remembers (and let's face it: All musicians are elitist, and we believe that our opinions on music are more valid than non-musicians' opinions. It's not the case, but that's what we think), and the reasons for remembering are very different.

I'd say that Foo Fighters are at the moment the biggest rock band in the world, and their songs will stay around on classic hits shows and compilations for decades, just like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Queen have in the past. Nickelback definitely have the potential to stick around, I'd say, but they need a couple more years first. They're definitely a very tight bunch of musicians, with a sound that's recognisable and distinct, which is what seems to do the trick when it comes to achieving that elusive "classic" status.
- Eskil

sjm1112

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2006, 02:04 AM »
I think Dave Matthews Band will be remembered for a very long time. I think Foo Fighters are very close to being remembered that way. I would love it if Queens of the Stone Age are, but I think they are a bit too eclectic to be adored by a very large group of people to really get that kind of following, which is a shame because they truly do cross alot of genres. Weezer is another band I think might make it for the long haul. Who knows, I'm still dealing with the fact that 80's hair bands are considered classic rock now. Everything is subjective.

Offline Eskil Sæter

• Silver Member
  • Musician and geek
    • naigewron
    • About.Me
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 04:17 AM »
Somone needs to tell nickelback grunge is dead

Yep, about as dead as jazz, prog rock and disco. They're selling albums by the millions, so I can't really see how the genre can be declared dead? Personally I don't see them as a grunge band, they're just a general heavy rock band.
- Eskil

Offline Ian

• Cafe VIP
  • I really love the Drummer Cafe!
    • Drum Stuff
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 05:18 AM »
Why does it matter what you call different kinds of music? Just listen to everything you can, and make your own mind up about whether you like it.

I also agree 100%. It was a happy day when I realised that I didn't have to like/dislike music based on its genre, and instead consider each band/album/song on its own individual merits. On the other hand - since then I've probably spent a hell of a lot on CDs....

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 06:13 AM »
Can you name a newer band that you think will be remembered(in a good way) like the classics are?

So, you're asking me to predict the future?  If I could do that I'd be out winning the Lottery (multiple times). 8)

Apparently even the music industry ain't always so great at picking the new bands that will have staying power.  Here is a list os the "best New Artist" Grammy awards handed out since they started that award:

2005 Maroon 5
 2004 Evanescence
 2003 Norah Jones
 2002 Alicia Keys
 2001 Shelby Lynne
 2000 Christina Aguilera

1999 Lauryn Hill
1998 Paula Cole
1997 LeAnn Rimes
1996 Hootie & the Blowfish
1995 Sheryl Crow
 1994 Toni Braxton
1993 Arrested Development
1992 Marc Cohn
1991 Mariah Carey
1990 Milli Vanilli (revoked)

1989 Tracy Chapman
 1988 Jody Watley
1987 Bruce Hornsby & the Range
1986 Sade
1985 Cyndi Lauper
1984 Culture Club
 1983 Men at Work
1982 Sheena Easton
1981 Christopher Cross
1980 Rickie Lee Jones

1979 A Taste of Honey
1978 Debby Boone
1977 Starland Vocal Band
1976 Natalie Cole
1975 Marvin Hamlisch
1974 Bette Midler
 1973 America
1972 Carly Simon
1971 Carpenters
1970 Crosby, Stills & Nash

1969 Jose Feliciano
1968 Bobbie Gentry
 1967 none
1966 Tom Jones
1965 The Beatles
1964 The Swingle Singers
1963 Robert Goulet
1962 Peter Nero
1961 Bob Newhart
1960 Bobby Darin

How many of you young youngsters out there have ever heard of The Swingle Singers?  I didn't think so.  :o

Offline Eskil Sæter

• Silver Member
  • Musician and geek
    • naigewron
    • About.Me
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 06:35 AM »
Nickel back is hanging onto the remains of grunge, can't hear much influence from any other genre. Guys voice makes me want nail gun myself in the face. I wouldn't say prog is dead theres a big scene of prog type metal coming around plus bands like Mars Volta. Disco is still hanging around with alot of bands like VHS or BETA, Fischerspooner etc and jazz...well it will never die.

You seem to have missed my point. Prog is very much alive indeed, as is jazz, disco and grunge. I don't get how you can classify a band as grunge, and then declare grunge as dead when said band sells millions of albums (as do many other bands playing similar music).

And yeah, I like them. Last album was a great rock album, and I think Chad Kroeger has a voice that couldn't be more fitting to their style of music.

Nickelback is kind of like AC/DC. All their songs are about either having sex, partying or being a rock star, and it seems to go down pretty well with the public. I'm not big on AC/DC, but Nickelback I enjoy.
- Eskil

Offline Eskil Sæter

• Silver Member
  • Musician and geek
    • naigewron
    • About.Me
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 06:37 AM »
So, you're asking me to predict the future?  If I could do that I'd be out winning the Lottery (multiple times). 8)

Apparently even the music industry ain't always so great at picking the new bands that will have staying power.  Here is a list os the "best New Artist" Grammy awards handed out since they started that award:

<list>

How many of you young youngsters out there have ever heard of The Swingle Singers?  I didn't think so.  :o

Great example of the point in question. No Led Zeppelin, no The Who, no Queen, no Metallica, no Rolling Stones... Most of those bands are gone and forgotten.
- Eskil

lilblakdak

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 08:54 AM »
Somone needs to tell nickelback grunge is dead,
They're as much grunge as Slayer is easy listening.  I hear alot more of grunge influence on the Emo bands out there. To me Nickleback is more along the lines of a Bon Jovi, VanHalen. You ask them thats what they're influenced by.
 BTW according to an interview i saw Nickleback was one of Dimebag's favourite bands.

lilblakdak

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2006, 08:57 AM »

Apparently even the music industry ain't always so great at picking the new bands that will have staying power.  Here is a list os the "best New Artist" Grammy..................

A Grammy is like a kiss of death for most careers. Look at Godsmack, they were getting lots of rotation, they were the next big thing, won the Grammy, Now you hardly ever hear of them.

Tae

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Foo Fighters
Mars Volta
Nirvana (will live on)
The Roots
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in what i meant. When i said that I meant newer bands as in the past couple of years or so. And when I said fall out boy and emo punk and all that stuff i know is been around but it seems to be popular now and probly wont stay.

"But it's all music. I think if people spent more time listening and less time categorizing, the world would be a happier place."

Agreed, but its easier to find music when its catigorized. As in "whats a good metal band?"

Tae

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 09:02 AM »

wgd1234

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Dave Matthews Band is a new band that will be remembered for a longggg time.  They r excellent and constantly putting out a good music that actually requires talnet.  I also like to see John Mayer Trio progress, some one had to bring back blues and im glad John Mayer took that step... and what a good deal with Steve Jordan on drums!!

chefdoug

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2006, 11:54 AM »
It's impossible to tell who will stay and who will fade, so with that I think it's important to look at the latest possible wave of bands that have stayed around. It seems to me, that many of the early 90's grunge bands  have staying power, or would still if they were still together. Pearl Jam is still around, I think Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana  would still be popular had they all stayed together, they still get much radio play. I definitely don't see grunge as dead, I see it as what it is and always has been, Rock Music.
  Clearly, talent has some, but not all to do with staying power. As talented as bands like Mars Volta are, the general public doesn't care about how good the musicianship is, they just want to hear consistantly good radio friendly music. A cult type following is also very important and another way to stay around for a long time, look at how dedicated Rush fans are(myself included), never heard an album I wouldn't buy. We at the Cafe, are a biased group as musicians and I think many of us look at this differently than the general non-musician public.  

As for opinions on what current bands will be around, I agree with whoever said the Foo Fighters. I also think Incubus will be here for a while. Tool is another band that should stay around, especially when they keep their fans hanging on waiting for new music, they have a very loyal following. In the meantime, Tool fans are still happy listening to Lateralus over and over(I know I am)
Just my $.02

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2006, 12:21 PM »
Great example of the point in question. No Led Zeppelin, no The Who, no Queen, no Metallica, no Rolling Stones... Most of those bands are gone and forgotten.
If those bands are dead and gone, how come the Stones pack any performance they play? Sure don't seem dead to me....They're still selling, making money and lots of it.    ::)
Paiste-Zildjian

Tae

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2006, 01:10 PM »

Dead, are you kidding? those bands (except for the who) are known by most people at my school. dead is the wrong way to put it. Metallica, led zeppelin, and rolling stones are still as popular, if not more popular than they were then.

Ranman

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Ya my 18 year old son loves the Cars

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram