• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Classics stay, Newbies go...

Started by Tae, January 14, 2006, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tae

I was talking to my sis who lives in cali. We are into the same type of music, mostly classic rock. We were discussing our favorite bands.She asked me of some new good bands that would stay around for a long time. I didn't exactly understand at first and i said some newer bands like fall out boy, The bravery , etc.(on MSN messenger) and then she was like "no ill just call you" so she called and explained what she was asking. and she had a good point. People like Elvis,Clapton, Page, Hendrix etc. will be known forever but she said name one band thats kinda new that will always be remembered. Its true, newer bands seem to be just fads. I mean Led zeppelin and lynyrd skynyrd will be remembered forever, but i can remember when boy bands were cool, rap( ???) was cool(still is to some crazy people) and other fads like that. Right now the whole Emo punk and alt. New metal and stuff is cool to people but bands like that more than likely will just lose their popularity after a few years and a new breed of music will come, but seems to always go away. what do you think will be the next fad? Can you name a newer band that you think will be remembered(in a good way) like the classics are?

lilblakdak

Im gonna get flamed and yelled at for this, but Nickleback will probably be around for a long time and well thought of the music buying public. They play simple straightforward rock and roll.  Most of the genre specific bands dont have much staying power,

Todd Norris

ummm....  It's kind of hard to say if a band has staying power until after the fact.  It's easy to name bands from the 60's 70's 80's or even 90's that have been around awhile.  It's kind of hard to name a band within the last ten years that has been around awhile because - well, they haven't been around long enough to make the statement yet...  

I remember when bands like Rush had been around for only about 8 years.  Hardly enough to say that they were long stays in the industry.  Now, over 30 years after their first album.  You can make the statement.  Anyway, I think you get my point.  

Tae

Quote from: lilblakdak on January 14, 2006, 06:05 PM
 Most of the genre specific bands dont have much staying power,

think about what you just said. Metallica,Heavy metal.Ac Dc Hard rock. Led zeppelin Fathers of Metal. Most of the general rock-genre specific bands came from these bands. Name one rock band that isn't a specific genre.

Tae

Quote from: Drum4JC on January 14, 2006, 06:52 PM
ummm....  It's kind of hard to say if a band has staying power until after the fact..  It's kind of hard to name a band within the last ten years that has been around awhile because - well, they haven't been around long enough to make the statement yet...  

I asked you to name some that you think will be remembered like the classics are. I ask that because of all the new genres that are emerging. Elvis practically created the general genre of rock and he is still popular.My point is that the new genres are going to have to do something to set themselves above the rest like the classics did if they want them to stick around.

Louis Russell

Quote from: lilblakdak on January 14, 2006, 06:05 PM
but Nickleback will probably be around for a long time and well thought of the music buying public.

That is the only one I can think of too and I have watched many come and go.  

Dave Heim

Train might have some staying power.

Tae

I just did some research on the net. Nickleback is referred to but not limited to pop/rock and metal. I don't know about you but it sounds like a specific genre to me...

DWdrmr

I'm going to go out on a limb here, I think Foo Fighters will be around for a while...they  got pretty good stuff...I would LIKE to see Queens of the Stoneage fit that description....That guitarist/singer/writer is a freakin' genuis...if you think Sister and Go With the Flow is all there is to them....check out their B side stuff. Amazing band and a really great drummer. No two of their songs are the same..from pop to heavy metal and everything in between..

Dave Heim

Quote from: Tae on January 14, 2006, 07:05 PM
I asked you to name some that you think will be remembered. . .

Quote from: Tae on January 14, 2006, 07:01 PM
think about what you just said. . .

Lighten up Francis.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Pirate Pig on January 14, 2006, 07:21 PM

Bands that should drawn and quartered
90 % of hardcore bands
95 % of modern deathrock
the rapture

Hootie.

and all the Blowfish.

This could spawn a separate thread.

DWdrmr

did I miss something?....I know I put my sticks down here....somewhere...darn...it's like trying to remember where you parked after 8 hours at work...sheesh.

DWdrmr

Quote from: Tae on January 14, 2006, 07:01 PM
Name one  band that isn't a specific genre.

If you want to hear something really "fresh" pick up a The Bad Plus CD
That sound they make is something else...even when they do Iron Man,Dirty Little Secret, or Smells Like Teenspirit....it's jazz, yes, but with a REAL twist.

Dave Heim

Quote from: DWdrmr on January 14, 2006, 07:37 PM
If you want to hear something really "fresh" pick up a The Bad Plus CD
That sound they make is something else...even when they do Iron Man,Dirty Little Secret, or Smells Like Teenspirit....it's jazz, yes, but with a REAL twist.

Agreed.  Amazing drummer, that Dave King.

DWdrmr

Quote from: Pirate Pig on January 14, 2006, 07:38 PM
Well you kind of said it "its jazz" so its a genre with a twist.

No, I definitely said it was jazz...but I can't think of any group jazz or otherwise, who has "twisted" rock songs like that...I would have to suggest what they do pushes the envelope of the jazz genre to "something else" other than "jazz"...IMHO :)

EDIT: I remember the first time I heard "Big Eater"...about 8 bars in, I was like, I've never heard anything this fresh in the last 30 years...amazed me

Dave Heim

Quote from: DWdrmr on January 14, 2006, 08:25 PM

No, I definitely said it was jazz...but I can't think of any group jazz or otherwise, who has "twisted" rock songs like that...I would have to suggest what they do pushes the envelope of the jazz genre to "something else" other than "jazz"...IMHO :)

IMHO they're out of the envelope, looking at it from the other side of the room.

DWdrmr

actually, they don't call dirty little secret, dirty little secret...I forget what modern rock band put that out..but, it's the same melody line. I think they call it Silence is the Question :P

DWdrmr

Now that I think about it....(I'm listening to These Are the Vistas,at the moment)...they might actually be making a new genre..

EDIT: Thanks for turning me on to these guys ,Dave...and yes, I bought their CDs...that filesharing thread opened my eyes. :)

Mister Acrolite

Why does it matter what you call different kinds of music? Just listen to everything you can, and make your own mind up about whether you like it.

I like the Bad Plus. I don't like Hootie. But I like the Carpenters. And AC/DC. Oh, and that Coltrane guy - I liked him, too. But I'm not so wild about Keith Jarrett. And Geddy Lee turns me off.

But it's all music. I think if people spent more time listening and less time categorizing, the world would be a happier place.

DWdrmr

Mr A..aka Mr. Doom, Mr T (as of late)...you're actually smiling on the last pic on Drummer World..what happened there?...somebody show you a drum you'd like to have, or what?  slipping? I've never seen that before, altho, I've only been here since ,what Sept?....JK