• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Under-appreciated Drummers

Started by Steve "Smitty" Smith, January 30, 2006, 01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tae

Quote from: DWdrmr on January 30, 2006, 05:59 PM

And Tae (Kwon Do)...I agree with you
Shhhhh Thats my secret Asian Agent name. ;D

chefdoug

How about Brian Mantia AKA "Brain" from Primus/Buckethead/G n'R(breifly). This guy has carved out a nice little known career with mostly more obscure bands, which is perhaps why he is less known and under appreiciated. I saw bits of his instuctional video and some solos of his, very impressive. He plays with a pretty deep pocket, check out a video clip here.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Brianmantiagogobeat.html

PJSdrum

Quote from: Ryno on January 30, 2006, 11:07 PM
As a side note, there were several songs where Charlie DID hit the hi-hat (or china cymbal) on 2 and 4 with his right hand.  This leads me to believe that he chooses to lay of the hi-hat on 2 and 4 most of the time, for effect.  

I think you're quite right. From what I recall of his explanation (and it's been years ago) he decided to do this to bring out the snare sound as one of the previous posters had mentioned. There was more to it that I can't remember now but he definitely chooses to lay off on 2 & 4 when he does that.

DougB

Quote from: Christopher on January 30, 2006, 02:44 PM
Sib Hashian - Boston

Boston is one of my favorite bands and my first concert in 1977.  His little lick on Rock n Roll Band is great, as well as many of the grooves he lays down on other songs.  His drumming is crisp, clean and steady.

There always seemed to be controversy as to exactly which albums Sib played on.  It was rumored that he was replaced during the recording of the second album Don't Look Back.  

But this is something I found from boston.org that contradicts the rumor:

Recording begins on the third BOSTON album, with Scholz playing all musical instruments (including some drums), and Delp continuing to sing all vocals. Sib Hashian initially remains on drums, but midway through the project he is replaced by Jim Masdea.

Jon E

Bun E. Carlos

Clem Burke (who doesn't even have a drummerworld listing!)

Mick Fleetwood

Charlie Adams

Mark Counts

" In some ways I put Charlie in the same boat as Ringo. Neither of those guys are particularly flashy and if they had been the drummer in Freddy and the Dreamers or some other one hit wonder we wouldn't even be talking about them. "

I have to agree with this statement completely! I guess this sums it up for me in a Nut Shell.
                                     Nutty

Mark Counts

I think I would have to say that Alex Van Halen is the one.
His brother gets all the glory.  He is a great drummer!
                                      Nutty

JDub

I think Chad Sexton (311) would be another good one. I never hear much about him and I think many of his grooves are great.

chefdoug

Heard a U2 tune on the way into work this morning. I never hear Larry Mullen Jr. ever mentioned in any drummer discussions. This guy has done nothing but anchor one of the greatest rock bands ever. I think he actually comes up with some really interesting grooves. When one thinks of U2, all the glory goes to Bono, and maybe a little to The Edge, those other two  guys get nuttin'.
 Reminds me of that Seinfeld with the Three Tenors"Pavarotti, Domingo and...... that other guy" ;D

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

Quote from: PJSdrum on January 30, 2006, 10:04 PM
Another of my favorites who seldom seems to get much attention is Richie Hayward. He really kills me with his Little Feat stuff and I've enjoyed his playing on other artists recordings too. Check out what he played on the Buddy Guy "d**n Right I Got the Blues" album.

My favorite band and drummer. Saw Little Feat in Pittsburgh a couple years back up close and Richie rode out an extended band solo section where everyone else was coming & going off stage. I wish I had his stamina, let alone his ability. I use his simple bell ride pattern in "Time Loves a Hero" for testing ride cymbals ;>)

Boomerweps

coolbob

Mitch Mitchell

Guy is a pretty good drummer and you cant beat the name.

DWdrmr

Quote from: coolbob on January 31, 2006, 03:57 PM
Mitch Mitchell

Yeah, he's ..."not bad" :) ;)

JayB

Quote from: coolbob on January 31, 2006, 03:57 PM
Mitch Mitchell

Are we talking underrated or under-appreciated?  Big difference, IMO.  
Because, I wouldn't say Mitch is/was under-appreciated... He's about as under-appreciated as, say, Ginger Baker or even Jim McCarty (yardbirds.)  It's not that no one appreciates them, because most of the "older" generation does appreciate those guys.  It's just that the younger generation may not necessarily know about these guys...

In that vein, I say that Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) is under-appreciated.  Brad Wilk's work with Rage is under-appreciated.  Most guys today OVERPLAY the music, these guys didn't...  Finally,  I'll definately say John Densmore (The Doors) is an under-appreciated drummer.    

Matter of fact MOST musicians in general are under-appreciated.  Just about all jazz drummers are... I guess you get my point...  ::)   ;D  

KevinD

I think Simon Kirke of Bad Company is under appreciated. If you listen to what he is playing, it fits the music and he is always solid as heck.

TheBeachBoy

Me  :'(

Actually, I would also second Pat Wilson and of course Larry Mullen, Jr.  Also Ringo and Charlie Watts and Jerry Allison (Buddy Holly/Crickets).

The first four in my list usually play(ed) fairly deceptively simple beats, but play exactly to what the music needs.  This is my credo to how I want to play and try to play (my band does kind of a Beatles meets Weezer sound, so I guess it works perfectly). Jerry had some cool fill that he would do, before anyone else really did them.  Plus, he was a proficient guitarist and songwriter. It was definately better than the stuff Ringo wrote, in my opinion (still love Octupus' Garden, though).

Christopher

Quote from: TheBeachBoy on February 01, 2006, 03:18 PM
and Jerry Allison (Buddy Holly/Crickets).

Dude...

The ultimate under appreciated drummer in my book.

How could I have forgotten?  ???

mapexdrummer1234

Quote from: DWdrmr on January 30, 2006, 04:18 PM

Tell me why you personally think Charlie's drumming is worthy of note, please..and anyone else..chime in. After all, this is a discussion forum.. :)

Imagine Rolling Stones with some one else. It wouldn't be the same. Being note-worthy doesn't always mean being the fastest or doing the "standard" drum fills or grooves.

Ranman

I think its 100% about sound. I never heard of Dream Theater till I started reading drumming forums. I think there is a reason for that.

Christopher

Quote from: drumnut1 on January 31, 2006, 11:21 AM
I think I would have to say that Alex Van Halen

I'd go along with that.

You see some posts from guys about Alex, mostly referring to Hot For Teacher. That may be what he's most famous for, but there's alot more to him than that.

Some of his fills were actually hooks in the tunes!

Think of Jamie's Crying without the tom fill.

I'd add  http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Danny_Seraphine.html]Danny Seraphine  and  http://www.jamieoldaker.com/]Jamie Oldaker   to the list too.

DougB

I always liked Michael Derosier or Heart but rarely hear him mentioned.