• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

charlie watts bothers me

Started by onmyown, February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: felix on February 06, 2006, 03:28 PM
LONG LIVE THE ROLLING STONES!!!!

I saw them last night on TV, you're too late. They've died...

;D

Flame away.

;)

onmyown

i want whatever energy drink sponsors the stones....

KevinD

Well, from the perspective at looking at his technicque, his left hand looks a little stiff. BUT if you listened to him playing each stroke was powerful and consistent, the dynamics of his 2 &4 did not vary and were right on in terms of time.  I don't know what else he could do to make it sound better.

I think he's pretty good drummer and I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard his big band stuff. He is quite a student of the history big band drumming as well.

Steve Jordan has said more than a few complimentary things about Charlie Watts in interviews and on his videos.

If i'm still ticking half as well when I'm his age I'll be happy!

NOW about Peter Criss....

Dave Heim

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 03:41 PM
i want whatever energy drink sponsors the stones....

Formaldehyde?  :)

moxman

Charlie stiff? You think its easy to play that stiff? Just try grinding your stick into the snare head all the time, night after night - it takes years of practice. .. and do you know how hard it is to keep a steady meter going when you drop the hihat everytime you hit the snare?

The guy has always played that way and he's a master of it. All this stuff about playing relaxed and loose is just baloney - we don't need no stinkin' rebound... Charlie's da man! ;D

Chip Donaho

Charlie is Charlie....No other way to look at it. I loved the show. It shows that age has nothing to do with music for people that love it. Those guys are just a few years older than me. I grew up with them, the Beatles, Kinks, Yardbirds, etc.... But the Stones are still themself in every way. They looked old from the start.... They were all born old looking. But they rock! Charlie plays both simple and complicated. Many drummers got their start because of listening to him. I can't discredit the man in any way....  8)

speedking

I had an interesting convesation with Max Wienburg a few years back about Charlie's style. We were both playing on this ship in the Bahamas for 3 days and hung out a little Max wrote this cool book calld The Big Beat and he interveiwd Charlie and many other great drummers. it's worth checking out.Anyway we talked about Charlie's style and played on each others kit's and applyed that hat snare sticking thing on some stuff.I dont know if it has advantages or disadvantages but its fun to apply sometimes it can break up the monotony of doing beats the same way every night.I sure wish I was playing on some of those stones songs.

jokerjkny

well, now that we're talking about the stones,

the only "post 60s heyday" period i really appreciated the stones were during their early '80s "comeback" when Tattou You came out i.e. "Start Me Up".  

one of my literal first memories of my life is seeing jagger & co. @ the old JFK stadium in philly with my dad and uncle.  they were freakin' electricfiying.

Jon E

QuoteI had an interesting convesation with Max Wienburg a few years back ......

Louis Bellson once told me, "Don't be a name dropper".
;)

Dave Heim

Quote from: Jon E on February 06, 2006, 08:45 PM
Louis Bellson once told me, "Don't be a name dropper".
;)

Jon, Louie asked me to tell you to stop quoting him.  :)

Dave Heim

So, with the dust settling on all the discussion here about Charlie and the Stones, I have to admit it was good to see them playing.  

Straight ahead rock & roll as only they can do it.  Not enough close-ups of Charlie, audio in need of tweaking at least at first, a couple of words here and there screened out to prevent a 'lyric malfunction'. . .  but all in all, they still know how to blow the roof off the joint.

DWdrmr

All I can say is...thank God the onus is off me..for ever mentioning Charlie in the "underappreciated drummers" post...I won't do that again..

Jay Northrop

I dig Charlie. A very good in the pocket player.Not the most technical guy around...and yeah a bit stiff. But its Charlie...one of a kind. And he plays what fits the song..he suites the song.

Louis Russell

I have always wondered if Charlie is really stiff or if he only looks stiff.  

junglelord

I find his playing serves the song.
I also find the hihat drop beat can help timing, at least for me.
I find that Keith Richards style of guitar work begs for that type of groove.
found that out myself years ago, playing to the radio, long before I seen charlie, and was playing a Richards song that came along.
concerning stones song at time in my life i had  played none.
so it just seemed like the right thing to do.
years after and i played some stones and well it just fit.
therefore i think it has lot to do with the guitar actually.

now is he exciting to watch?
NO.
Is that his goal?
NO.
I too would love to hear his bigband stuff.

Louis Russell

Quote from: junglelord on February 07, 2006, 07:53 AMnow is he exciting to watch?

That is a good point.  I listened to his music for years before I watched him play.  He doesn't sound stiff at all.  

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2006, 11:21 AM
A genuine thought I had while watching Mick Jagger last night...

"Man.  I want to be that kind of geezer when I grow up.".

You mean the kind that people look at and say,"That's disgusting!!!"

(in reference to Mick Jaggar's "dancing" moves while singing)

Shane Stylianos

Dave Heim

OK, so the crowd of people on the field near the stage for the Stones show - I'm assuming they were hand-picked, invited, contest winners, something like that.  They all seemed to be overacting just a tad.