• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

charlie watts bothers me

Started by onmyown, February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

Great post, Kevin. Totally on-target.

DougB

I concentrate on the simple stuff.  With the type of music I play, no one is interested in a drummer who can play like Neil Peart.  My bandmates want someone who can hold the beat and play some interesting accents, and be tight with the other musicians.  Over the years there have been many complaints about drummers who tried to do things over and above what the music called for, taking away from the purpose of what the band was trying to accomplish.

Chris Whitten

I'd like to second Kevin's comments. Spot on!
Quote from: KevinD on March 27, 2006, 10:30 PM
Granted, Phil Rudd, Charlie Watts and players like them are not playing in the vein of Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, or Dave Weckl  or any of those drummers, but what they are playing has itsââ,¬â,,¢ own nuances to it. Those guys, along with Vinnie C. Dennis Chambers and Tony Williams are some of my favorite drummers but it took me a while playing and listening in different situations to understand that some of the simpler guys are no slouches either.
The brilliant thing about some of the guys you've mentioned is that they can play the simple groove if required (Vinnie, Tony and Gadd in particular). I admire simple drummers, I also admire the more technical types. The ones who can do both are in a league of their own.
However, I primarily listen to music (as opposed to drumming).
Therefore, I'd much rather listen to a great song with simple, sympathetic drumming, than a cliche ridden piece of progressive-bull with awesome drumming.

JeepnDrummer

When AC/DC came on the scene I disliked their music very much.  I even criticized their drummer because he played silly simple beats.  Of course I was a young, snot-bubble teenager and knew everything.  ;D  

It wasn't until years later that I came to appreciate the groove and what playing for the music meant.  Surprisingly, I'm exposed to a lot of musicians here in S. Korea.  We hang at the same clubs and often jam together.  Most of the drummers have zero groove and over-play to the nth degree.  Sometimes it's really hard to listen to them play.  But I remind myself that I was exactly the same.

When other drummers diss pros like Phil Rudd, Ringo, Charlie or whoever, I quickly dismiss their opinions and can only hope they eventually learn the true value of being able to groove and serve the music.  

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on March 30, 2006, 07:55 AM
When AC/DC came on the scene I disliked their music very much.  I even criticized their drummer because he played silly simple beats.  Of course I was a young, snot-bubble teenager and knew everything.  ;D  

I was the same way. You know what got me out of that way of thinking? Seeing Kenny Aronoff in clinic. Here's a guy that can play loud driving beats but is known for (what I considered) simple stuff like John Mellencamp. He said "Sure you can play simple beats like a lot of those songs have. But can you keep it grooving for 5 minutes without variations in tempo or volume. The peolple in that band rely on me to do just that."

Opened my eyes up about a lot of things (especially that snot-bubble.)

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Shoeless on March 30, 2006, 02:01 PM
I was the same way. You know what got me out of that way of thinking? Seeing Kenny Aronoff in clinic. Here's a guy that can play loud driving beats but is known for (what I considered) simple stuff like John Mellencamp. He said "Sure you can play simple beats like a lot of those songs have. But can you keep it grooving for 5 minutes without variations in tempo or volume. The peolple in that band rely on me to do just that."

Opened my eyes up about a lot of things (especially that snot-bubble.)
lol

It took me time (many years) to mature in the musical sense to finally "get" it....certainly no blinding flash event.  ;D

Louis Russell

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on March 31, 2006, 06:14 AM
It took me time (many years) to mature in the musical sense to finally "get" it....certainly no blinding flash event.  ;D

Yes, me too!  It takes a while for fine wine to age.

SKohl

Charlie has always played this way.  Sort of a psuedo linear style with his hands.   The hi-hat snare pattern is his trademark and helps make the rolling stones what they are, much the way Ringo's left handed lead on fills made his drumming distinct.  

Try not to play both hands on the snare and hi-hat for a while and groove at the same time, not so easy especially if you're not used to doing it.  

Me, I'm just glad we have individuals with their own style in this increasing vanilla world.

Plus, if I'm still making money playing at 60, I can die happy.

Peace Out! ;D

justdave01

In an interview he once said that the "missed" hi-hat stroke was how he cleared a path for his left hand. Must've sounded good to him and the band so he just stuck with it. I'm thinking my lucky stars that I've evidently forgeten how many rules we're supposed to play by. What's stiffer, the missing note or someone noticing the "missing" note?

Conky

Quote from: onmyown on February 06, 2006, 10:45 AM
watching him play the halftime show only made it worse.
i just dont get it...

he must look in the mirror every morning and thank his lucky stars

that is all

He's your classic example of a basic drummer that cares nothing about getting better and learning more involved chops.  He keeps the time - makes $$ for the most overrated tunes ever - then goes home.

Takes all kinds m8. :)

Rylie

I've tried spead-reading through this thread trying to find someone who's made the simple point that AC/DC would not be AC/DC if Neil Peart (or his genre) was their drummer. Same with the Stones, Beatles, The Band, etc.

It's always been my opinion that a band is only as good (or bad) as it's drummer, and if I'm not mistaken, that's a Paul McCartney quote as well. The argument can and has been made that these "basic" drummers lack flash and fill-skills, but their talent and musical ingenuity, specifically knowing when to lay off and keep the groove going,  is at the heart of those bands appeal. For instance, if Phil Rudd complicated his fills or changed his style so he would be "noticed" and held in high regard by drumming critics, it would be like Whitney Houston singing Big Balls. She can sing (without the crack pipe in her mouth), but it would sound silly.

Ryan Culberson

Quote from: Conky on April 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
He's your classic example of a basic drummer that cares nothing about getting better and learning more involved chops.  He keeps the time - makes $$ for the most overrated tunes ever - then goes home.

Takes all kinds m8. :)

Have you personally spent time with Charlie Watts?  I'm betting that the answer is NO.  Just for giggles, I would like a DETAILED explanation of WHY you think the way you do.  What is the criteria you used to arrive at your assumption?  Please, enlighten me!!!!!   ::)  

Call me crazy,  but boldly stating that one of the most enduring names in music "cares nothing about getting better and learning more involved chops" is pure speculation on your part and appears to be indicitive of some maturity issues.  I think there's a name for this...  

"Charlie Envy!"  

Mark Counts

Hey Ryno,

I agree with you.  I can't believe this thread is still going strong.
There probably isn't many drummers that have stood the test of time like Charlie Watts.  No, he is not my favorite drummer and niether is some of the drummers that have made it big, but it is what it is.  He has played with one of the most popular bands in the world and he is very solid, just like Ringo is very solid. There is no since in arguing about it anymore.  He and Ringo both made it big time and have been big time for years.
I wish I could say that I had done even a small percentage of big time stuff as either one of them.  No one can take that away from them. My two cents!!!!!
                                   Nutty