• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Work rant

Started by Paul DAngelo, February 09, 2006, 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robyn

QuoteEgo is key.  It's a big problem in all walks of life, IMHO.  I have made mention and continue to attempt to remove my ego from my thought process.  At least in some points in my life, such as drumming, work, poker, and parenting!  The results are amazing.  Difficult work, yet very rewarding.

Amen brother! I have taken ego out of the equation when it applies to just about everything. And it makes things so much easier knowing I don't have an ego that needs stroking when it applies to work. I treat every job the same and you won't hurt my feelings if you correct me. Besides why should invest a bunch of emotional distress on something I can't wait to get away from anyway, its just my job.

Tony and shoeless, I think you've really hit the nail on the head here. Eliminate the ego, and it's amazing how much you can grow and improve your skills in a particular area. I learned it training horses, and have applied it to the rest of my life too, w/ great results!
Smogs and mudlark, how would it work if you look said-person straight in the eye and  pleasantly and quietly say "I'm going to do it this way." Period. And then leave the room, or change the subject--"now, let's move on to the next part of this presentation/project." I've found that treating difficult people w/ the simple and patient directness I use with a child often works very well.

robyn

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: Christopher on February 09, 2006, 05:51 PM
The last company I worked for had a total of three COOs that came through over less than a two year period.

I was at the head office one day and was asked if I had met the new one (the third).   ::)

I said no, Iââ,¬â,,¢ll catch the next one.

It didnââ,¬â,,¢t go over too wellââ,¬Â¦

HA!  Imagine that.... ::) :D

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: robyn on February 10, 2006, 10:40 AM
Tony and shoeless, I think you've really hit the nail on the head here. Eliminate the ego, and it's amazing how much you can grow and improve your skills in a particular area. I learned it training horses, and have applied it to the rest of my life too, w/ great results!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you use it in relation to horse training, I'm not really sure what you mean by that.  

Paul DAngelo

First of all, I never dreamed I'd get so much input on a rant.  :o

Interesting points made all around.

So I find out today that the Project Manager is now who I report to.  ;D

Naturally.

We've spoken and have come to a good working agreement, he doesn't listen to my points and I have to take a look at his solution.  Since I agreed to this, everybody is happy.   :P

I guess it's because I said "I know what I'm doing" that I'm getting the posts telling me about ego getting in the way.  I don't see it as ego, I see it as someone who does not know as much about the system telling me how to do my work.  I see that as reality, not ego.  

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Yeah, but  it's still just your job ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Robyn

Shoeless--horses are very smart and very sensitive, with excellent feel, timing, and balance, and if you have their respect, they will do anything that you ask of them as long as they physically can. Once I stopped whining "stupid horse! Why isn't he doing what I want?!" and started asking my trainer, "what is it that I'm doing/not doing to cause the horse to behave the way he is?"--that's when I really started to progress. Once I let go of my ego and stopped blaming the horse and started looking at myself, my cues/seat/legs, how tense I was, etc etc. for clues as to why things weren't going the way I wanted, then I started to really build a good relationship w/ the horse. My Tenn. Walking horse, Santana, will work for me w/o saddle or bridle on, just a neck rope, and he walks/gaits/canters, stops, backs up, goes sideways, any thing I ask of him, when if he wanted to, he could just leave and run back to the barn, and I couldn't do a thing about it. And I'm hardly the Buddy Rich of horsemanship. It's a respect thing, and it starts w/ letting go of the ego.

Mudlark, I don't think it's you that has the ego problem. I'm thinking the ego comments are directed at your troublesome co-worker.

robyn

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: mudlark on February 10, 2006, 12:02 PM
I guess it's because I said "I know what I'm doing" that I'm getting the posts telling me about ego getting in the way.  I don't see it as ego, I see it as someone who does not know as much about the system telling me how to do my work.  I see that as reality, not ego.  
I think Robyn's correct that the ego comments were directed at the project manager.

Did your PM explain why he wants you to use his code?  A good manager/leader will tell you what needs to be done and then get out of the way and let you do your job.

Tony

Not speaking for the others, my comment about ego was more directed at the type of people who are full of themselves, like your  wink,wink younger, smarter boss.  They get so full of themselves that they have no capacity to listen or learn from anyone.

Shane Stylianos

Quote from: robyn on February 10, 2006, 10:05 PM
Shoeless--horses are very smart and very sensitive, with excellent feel, timing, and balance, and if you have their respect, they will do anything that you ask of them as long as they physically can. Once I stopped whining "stupid horse! Why isn't he doing what I want?!" and started asking my trainer, "what is it that I'm doing/not doing to cause the horse to behave the way he is?"--that's when I really started to progress. Once I let go of my ego and stopped blaming the horse and started looking at myself, my cues/seat/legs, how tense I was, etc etc. for clues as to why things weren't going the way I wanted, then I started to really build a good relationship w/ the horse. My Tenn. Walking horse, Santana, will work for me w/o saddle or bridle on, just a neck rope, and he walks/gaits/canters, stops, backs up, goes sideways, any thing I ask of him, when if he wanted to, he could just leave and run back to the barn, and I couldn't do a thing about it. And I'm hardly the Buddy Rich of horsemanship. It's a respect thing, and it starts w/ letting go of the ego.

Actually, It was me who asked.  Yeah....I was taught from young age that if you want to get the most out of your horse, you have to get them to WANT to do it.  You can't make them.  That's where the respect comes in.

Robyn

Whoopsy ::)  Had a brain fart there, styles. ;D

robyn