Topic: Slick sticks  (Read 1225 times)

Offline J. Skins

• Copper Member
  • The Drummer Cafe rocks!
Slick sticks
« on: March 09, 2006, 12:26 PM »
During cold weather, my hands get dry and cracked, which requires some lotion/moisturizer. However, I absolutely loathe greasy hands while handling drum sticks. Often, I'll find myself washing my hands repeatedly to get the oil off my hands while I'm practicing, or I'll avoid using lotion if I'm about to practice, and that just makes my skin drier and the cracks more painful.

How do you keep your hands from cracking while keeping a good grip on your sticks?
"...and the forests will echo with laughter." - Alright, time to wake up.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
Slick sticks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 12:33 PM »
During cold weather, my hands get dry and cracked, which requires some lotion/moisturizer. However, I absolutely loathe greasy hands while handling drum sticks. Often, I'll find myself washing my hands repeatedly to get the oil off my hands while I'm practicing, or I'll avoid using lotion if I'm about to practice, and that just makes my skin drier and the cracks more painful.

How do you keep your hands from cracking while keeping a good grip on your sticks?

Try Cetaphil hand lotion.  Works well and its not greasy.  As for sticks, try Regal Tips.  The lacquer they use has a nice grippy characteristic about it.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

lilblakdak

Re:Slick sticks
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Im just the opposit. When my hands get dry I put lotion on to get a better grip on the sticks. Try a lotion thats less greasy. Usually one meant for your face are less greasy. Maybe some of the women can chime in on that.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
Slick sticks
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I'm a Gorilla Snotter.  My hands get dry so I like GS.

Offline Roger Beverage

• VIP / Subscriber
    • Victory Swing Band
Slick sticks
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:01 PM »
I'm a Gorilla Snotter.  My hands get dry so I like GS.

Me too. Just a tiny bit rubbed onto the sticks gets me through the night.

Roger

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram