Topic: Can you read music?  (Read 9154 times)

Offline William Leslie

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
Re:Can you read music?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 06:00 AM »
Yes.
older, but still make music my way.

Offline Jon E

• Cafe VIP
  • Gaaaah!
    • Things Very Special
Can you read music?
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 07:04 AM »
YouDamBetcha!

DFresh

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 07:28 AM »
Yes- Drum charts.  Reading a staff music like the for the piano is possible for me, but very slow.  My wife takes care of that part.

DougB

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 07:38 AM »
I've dabbled with drum charts from time to time but haven't had an opportunity to dive into it too much.  When playing in my band, I follow along with the guitar/keys/vocal music, and some of them have notation for drums.

Although I must say that it is somewhat difficult for me to follow written music while trying to play drums.

Do you guys use the charts to learn the song and then play from memory, or do you actually follow the charts while playing?  If so, where do you place the written music?

dannydrumperc

Can you read music?
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Yes, and was quite good at first sight during school; developed the abillity of reading a bit ahead of what was going on too. But just rhythmic/drums notation. I'm quite slow reading and playing melodies on klock, xylo, etc.; never my forte.

I still construct in my mind drum charts when developing a new part and write them down for better understanding. It has been very helpful when playing with other drummers/percussionist because it gives me a clearer view of what’s going on and how I can compliment better their parts.

Offline Scott

• Cafe VIP
    • Scott Miles
Can you read music?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 08:42 AM »
Yes.

Offline Tony

• Cafe VIP
  • Art is the expression of the self.
Can you read music?
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 09:17 AM »
Yep
The techniques, though they play an important role in the early stage, should not be too restrictive, complex or mechanical. If we cling to them, we will become bound by their limitation.  Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

jb78

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 09:22 AM »
Yes.  That said, when I think about the amount of time I spent sight-reading in the first few years of drum lessons, I get sick to my stomach!  I hated it and I think the teacher over-emphasied that practice.

However, it's an important tool to have at your disposal.  Just as important is developing your own quick way of writing out parts and charts.  I frequently use that when the band and I are writing a song or when we're in the studio.  Sometimes things are moving quickly and you don't have time to beat it into your head.

Offline Christopher

• Cafe VIP
  • That's MR. Colaiuta to you...
Can you read music?
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 09:40 AM »
Yes.

And, I can read (and write) many, many other words as well.  ;)

Oh, I can also read music notation too.  ;D
"What one man can do, another can do."
-Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkin's character from the 1997 movie, The Edge)

felix

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 09:56 AM »
nahhh

diddle

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Yes, snare & drumset music notation.  I use to read bass clef notation when I played timpani in high school, but that was a LONG time ago!

AdamBlevins

Can you read music?
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I believe that being able to read music notation (drum charts, pitched notation, figured bass/chord charts [of the I, IV, V, iii and the C, F, G, em variety], etc.) is essential if one wants to call onesself a musician.  This is something that I feel very strongly about.

I've been to several band auditions where the band members were amazed that I brought my own drum charts read during the audition.  ("Wow, I've never seen a drummer read music before!")

It amazes me how many "musicians" publicize the fact that they don't know how to read music.  (Yanni and Kenny G. come to mind).  Imagine a movie star accepting an Academy Award and saying something to the effect of, "If any kids want to become actors, you don't have to learn to read the English language...I don't know how to read the words on the script the director gives me, I just make everything up as I go along."  Of course in acting (as well as in music) improvisation is a very important skill, but so is reading!

Sorry to rant, but as I said before, this is something that I feel very stongly about.

donelk

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 10:47 AM »
My ability to read gets me lots of gigs subbing for others. Just last night I sat in with a big band. Read all night.  

I also play symphonic stuff too, so that helps. But the big band reading is different than symphonic stuff.

Maybe that is one of the differences between being just a drummer and being a musician.

minddrummer

Can you read music?
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 11:24 AM »
YES I do !

Percussion notation mostly...

Melofhell

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Of course - that's why I'm the best around. *nods*

(School-wise)

Apollo

Can you read music?
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Percussion Clef- Yes
Treble Clef- No

I would have thought reading drum music is a must  :-\

somebodyelse

Can you read music?
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 01:19 PM »
In 5 clefs (treble, bass, alto, tenor, percussion). I've taken piano for 8 years.

For those of you who can't, I highly reccomend checking out  http://www.musictheory.net]this site . It's a great, easy, free way to learn to read music (I know that sounds like an advertisement, but I swear it isn't  :))

TMan324

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2006, 04:46 PM »
i can play chop-sticks and we a have bell (hand bell) choir at school that im forced to be in for music so i could figure it out but it would take a while like 3-4 days of practice before my whole class including me got the consept of playing together and on the right beat

gidgetman

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Yep, all kinds. I'm starting to focus on learning treble and bass clefs better. At the moment its pretty sad watching me try to sight read mallets, lol.

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
Can you read music?
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006, 06:34 PM »
I believe that being able to read music notation (drum charts, pitched notation, figured bass/chord charts [of the I, IV, V, iii and the C, F, G, em variety], etc.) is essential if one wants to call onesself a musician.  This is something that I feel very strongly about.

I'd find it very hard not to call The Beatles musicians.  ???
In fact a large portion of the most gifted rock and soul musicians cannot read music.
I think it's like anything in life.
Wouldn't it be great if every musician took the time to learn their instrument properly, read music and had a perfect technique.
However, it would be a very dull music scene if you were to dismiss some of the most important figures in popular music history because they didn't measure up to a strict definition of 'musician'.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram