• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Can you read music?

Started by teachesintx, March 15, 2006, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: chriswhitten on March 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'd find it very hard not to call The Beatles musicians.  ???
In fact a large portion of the most gifted rock and soul musicians cannot read music.
I think it's like anything in life.
Wouldn't it be great if every musician took the time to learn their instrument properly, read music and had a perfect technique.
However, it would be a very dull music scene if you were to dismiss some of the most important figures in popular music history because they didn't measure up to a strict definition of 'musician'.

I'm glad someone else said it. I can read drum parts and rhythm, but not chords, notes, scales, etc. But I can make all kinds of music on guitar and piano, self taught.  I remeber seeing a documentary about a guy who didn't know anything about music and wrote an entire film score for an orchestra, based on what he heard in his head. He was just very good at communicating what he wanted and found an "educated" musician who was patient enough to listen.
There is room for everyone in music.

Ryan Culberson

Quote from: felix on March 16, 2006, 09:56 AM
nahhh

I was beginning to think I was the only one here who can't read music (other than the most basic drum notation).  Then again, you may be kidding!  

No excuses, I just got started playing beats, and it snowballed from there.  I'm much less of a drummer because of it.  Don't remind me!  :)

The sad part (that I hate to admit) is that I had 10+ years of lessons with a really great drummer.  I always taped lessons and learned everything by ear.  I would literally fake my way through charts, because I had studied so much from the previous lesson.  

I kind of feel like Dexter Manley here, if anybody remembers that!  

rocksnob

Yes!.........but it's been quite a while......

DR

Yes, traditional and drum kit notation.

Jon E

QuoteI kind of feel like Dexter Manley here,

"Hail to the Redskins!"

Eskil Sæter

I'm a trained pianist and brass band player, so I can read sheet music just fine. I've never had any formal training in drum notation though, but it's not hard to get if you know how to read "normal" music

felix

Quote from: Ryno on March 16, 2006, 08:51 PM
I was beginning to think I was the only one here who can't read music (other than the most basic drum notation).  Then again, you may be kidding!  

No excuses, I just got started playing beats, and it snowballed from there.  I'm much less of a drummer because of it.  Don't remind me!  :)

The sad part (that I hate to admit) is that I had 10+ years of lessons with a really great drummer.  I always taped lessons and learned everything by ear.  I would literally fake my way through charts, because I had studied so much from the previous lesson.  

I kind of feel like Dexter Manley here, if anybody remembers that!  

If you go to this thread  http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?&board=10;action=display;threadid=16282;start=160;boardseen=1]http://community.drummercafe.com/index.php?&board=10;action=display;threadid=16282;start=160;boardseen=1

you will see what I use my old music books for- to angle my throne.   They also make good drink coasters.  I have not used them for T.P. or firewood kindling yet but knowing me it's entirely possible.

TamaDrummer

DougB

Quote from: AdamBlevins on March 16, 2006, 10:01 AM
I've been to several band auditions where the band members were amazed that I brought my own drum charts read during the audition.  ("Wow, I've never seen a drummer read music before!")

Just last week my fellow bandmates said that they had never seen a drummer actually bring music to practice before.  Maybe the members of this forum are much different than the average run-of-the-mill drummer (many professionals here), because I don't think a big percentage of all drummers read music.

TheAudiophobe

Quote from: chriswhitten on March 16, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'd find it very hard not to call The Beatles musicians.  ???
In fact a large portion of the most gifted rock and soul musicians cannot read music.

Two thoughts:
1) Sadly, not all of us are Beatles.
2) If a musician takes his/her craft seriously, why would she/he NOT learn to read music?

(yes, since age 4)

Chris

Yeah, I can read drumset notation as well as melodic notation. Before picking up the sticks, I played piano and a vast array of brass instruments. I'd really like to get into guitar and start playing jazz piano as well. While I don't believe it essential to be able to read music, it certainly saves a tremendous amount of time.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: TheAudiophobe on March 17, 2006, 12:28 PM
Two thoughts:
1) Sadly, not all of us are Beatles.
2) If a musician takes his/her craft seriously, why would she/he NOT learn to read music?

Exactly. Like I said in my first post, it's a great skill to have.

Rylie

I learned to read music starting at age 8 (violin), then drums & percussion in high school band / orchestra, then taught myself to play guitar without ever reading a note or taking a lesson. I played bluegrass fiddle for several years (in a band) without ever reading a note of music other than looking at guitar chord charts which I could easily memorize. I'm a much better guitar player than I am a fiddler now, and as a retread drummer, I just don't have the patience or desire to follow written music - I just improvise by ear, and to me, that's music the way I like to play it.

I would never discourage anyone from learning to read music, especially kids, but I would never - never - imply that if you don't read music you aren't or can't be a "musician".  In fact, if someone can create a mood, invoke a thought, paint a picture with music, they're a musician as far as I'm concerned. See Robert Johnson.

Lori

I started off learning with drum music and it has been a really good thing for me. Because I cannot play in a band right now, I am always learning things out of books. My latest book is Rhythmic Aerobics by Jim Ryan. I still work out of A Funky Primer and others like that.  

Melofhell

I guess since everyone else is, I'll say that I can read treble, bass, and percussion clef. I've never seen alto or tenor, though.

drumz1

Gaetano Nicolosi

diddle

You know, being able to read drumset music may not be absolutely necessary even if you want to make a career at drumming.  When I met Terry Bozzio he said he only began learning music theory after he became somewhat famous.  So it's certainly not a required skill.

But why wouldn't you want to learn to read?  The benefit of being able to read is that you can communicate more effectively with other musicians.  Being able to read will enable you to write down new grooves (even if only for yourself) that you learn so you can reproduce them later.

mapexdrummer1234

David Crigger

First - yes

To the person asked about reading at the drumset - for me, charts are only rarely only a tool for memorization. A good chunk of my playing life - school, jazz band, big bands, wedding gigs, shows, recording sessions, concerts - have all more often than not included reading music "on the gig".  Usually to the left of, or slightly above the hihat.

Are we all SO sure that none of the Beatles read music at all? Ringo, for one, was quite the working professional prior to joining the Fab Four. I'm just not sure that the lack of charts at concerts, or the need for Geo. Martin's assist with orchestrations precludes any of them from any familarity with musical notation. (But not a huge Beatles bio buff)

Aa for Terry Bozzio - really studying music theory is quite different think than merely knowing how to read. On many instruments, one can read great and still know very little music theory.

Again for me, the ability to read music has probably been the single largest contributing factor to me being "day job free" my whole life. :-)

David