Topic: Real estate  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Vintage Ludwig

• Cafe VIP
Re:Real estate
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 08:26 PM »
MAN!  Everybody must live far far away from Marin County California, where the MEDIAN price of a home hovers a tad under $1,000,000!  Owning a home is one of the smartest and safest investments anyone could possibly make.  As a real estate broker in this beautiful gem of an area I call home, (I was born and raised here) I have been fortunate enough to do very well financially.  Heres an example of what I mean.  I bought my 1st home in Mill Valley in 1983.  I paid 102,990 and own it free and clear.  Although its a Condo, they sell for 675,000 today.  I rent it out at 2,775 per month!  My wife and I sold our home in Novato (James Hetfield, Steve Smith, Carlos Santana etc.... all live there) last year.  We paid 522,000 in 1995, and sold it for 225,000 OVER asking price of 825,000.  Economically, California is a mess.  But there is an extreme housing shortage that drives the market!  There is no end in sight of this real estate madness.  Although I can comfortably retire now-I enjoy making money, and am driven in doing that.  Real estate is the answer IMO-
Save every red cent-do whatever it takes, BUT BUY A HOME!!!!!!!  In fact, buy it from me!

drumwild

Real estate
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 11:14 PM »
I've called a handful of brokers about buying a home. I give them my criteria.

1. I have "ex-wife" credit.
2. No down payment.
3. Can't have a 2-hour commute.
4. Can't live in an area where I'll be shot cuz I don't belong (i.e. "South Central")

So far, they've all hung up on me.

Greenspan says it's all gonna come down next year. Those in the stock market always say to buy low and sell high.

For me, I might just have to wait. Save up and retire in Indiana with my Cali cash. Saw a 15-bedroom estate on 50 acres for $47,900.

drumwild

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 11:16 PM »
MAN!  Everybody must live far far away from Marin County California, where the MEDIAN price of a home hovers a tad under $1,000,000!

Yep. Far away. And just for this reason.

Offline kohei

• Silver Member
    • jon raney
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 03:35 PM »
You New Yorkers and Californians kill me.  $400 Grand for a small house?  Move to Phoenix.  You can buy a small castle for that!  

Yeah, but it's still in Phoenix.

Siriusly, that's the big reason that NYC real estate IS so expensive. You have a lot more people who live here and who WANT to live here. And unlike Atlanta or Chicago or Miami or pretty much any other large urban metro, we don't have the option of expanding OUT. It's either UP (limited by engineering and landmarked neighborhoods) or DOWN (and nobody likes to live in the basement).  Which is why NYC real estate can be a good investment (if you're going to live in what you bought), because nobody's making any MORE of it. Well sort of. If you're in a good pre war building, they definitely aren't building to that standard these days.

Having siad that, I'm glad we bought inot our neighborhood (Jackson Heights) when we did, I'm not sure we could afford to now...
If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum.

"It takes pretty great drummer to be better than no drummer at all." - Chet Baker

Offline smoggrocks

• Cafe VIP
  • Is there another word for synonym?
    • Meet the Fearsome Foursome
Real estate
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 07:23 PM »
indeed.

i've had lots of friends telling me to move out to nevada, or wherever, and at first, the idea is really appealing. but then i realize... it's not new york.

it's not perfect here, but it's fun, interesting, and in general, i find it easier to find like-minded people. i always feel like i'm in a strange land when i leave here.

i think ultimately i want to set myself up so i can live here 6 months, and in a warm climate 6 months. i love my four seasons, but this winter is already starting to kick my butt. it is chillzy-willzy today!
The most wasted day of all is that on which you have not laughed.

Offline Shane Stylianos

• VIP / Subscriber
  • You only have to be better than you were yesterday
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 08:15 AM »
My wife and I have been looking for a horse property in CT for some time now.  We can't find anything over 2 acres for less than 300,000.  (and we figure we have a 250,000 budget).  On the other hand, for those who know horses, we found a very nice 66 acre property with a 4 bedroom house, two car garage, two barns and a large indoor arena for 260,000 in North Dakota.  I didn't realize people still lived in North Dakota.  Do they have electricity there?  I would've considered it, but if there aren't a whole lot of jobs for me here...I can't imagine there's a whole lot of jobs for me there.  Wisconsin, on the other hand....
"If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can't be solved." Zen Proverb

Offline Brett Sheaffer

• Cafe VIP
  • Never stop learning.
    • Freedom Brass Band of Northeast Ohio
Real estate
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 11:37 AM »
indeed.

i've had lots of friends telling me to move out to nevada, or wherever, and at first, the idea is really appealing. but then i realize... it's not new york.

it's not perfect here, but it's fun, interesting, and in general, i find it easier to find like-minded people. i always feel like i'm in a strange land when i leave here.

Alas, Smoggy, there's the key to the whole situation you're in.  If you like someplace more than anywhere else (or at least fear moving to someplace you may not like), it'll sure keep you there.

I will be the first to admit that I would not fit big-city life, and thinking about that constant hustle-bustle environment makes my blood pressure go up.  Not that I would mind visiting NYC or parts of California, I just don't think I could live there.  I enjoy suburbia.

I do think there is something missing from this thread, and that's SALARY FACTORS.  People in New York, California, etc., obviously make a far higher salary for their job than the equivalent job here in Boringsville, Ohio (population: Me).  Simply add zeros!

Natural ability will only take you so far. There is no substitute for playing, playing, playing.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram