Topic: The word "drummer".  (Read 1864 times)

ritarocks

The word "drummer".
« on: April 01, 2006, 12:21 PM »
I'm reading a book right now called Skeleton Man by Tony Hillerman.  I came across the following sentence on page 78:

"I didn't think a jewelry drummer would be carrying zircons in such a fancy case."

It inspired me to go to the websters.com thesaurus for fun and type in the word "drummer".  The results made me giggle, so I just wanted to share.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=drummer]http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=drummer

Offline Chip Donaho

• Cafe VIP
Re:The word "drummer".
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 01:12 PM »
That's insane..... The people that came up that, what were they thinking? As they say, "The nuts run the nuthouse."     :D
Craviotto-DW-Mapex-Slingerland
Paiste-Zildjian
"When you quit learning you start dying."-My Grandfather

Offline Joe

• Cafe VIP
  • Seeburg traps
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 01:20 PM »
We should storm HarperCollins with a letter-writing campaign a la PAS v. ESPN, demanding that they bowdlerize future editions. :D

Interesting how "drummer" has these other meanings.
I'm not a particularly slow player, yet I don't play fast.  I play half-fast.

Offline Roger Beverage

• VIP / Subscriber
    • Victory Swing Band
The word "drummer".
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Has no one ever heard the term "drumming up business" ?

In horse and buggy days, traveling salesmen in the west, selling their wares from the back of a wagon, would use a bass drum to attract attention. Although direct selling gave way to wholesaling to stores as territory was settled, the term stuck.

Roger

Offline Robyn

• Cafe VIP
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
The word "drummer".
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 05:32 PM »
So we're all "hucksters", huh? Whoopeedoo. ::)

robyn
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too, can become great.           ~Mark Twain

ritarocks

The word "drummer".
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:22 AM »
Has no one ever heard the term "drumming up business" ?

Indeed, but from now on when someone asks me what my role is in the band, I'm going to reply "knight of the road!"   ;D  (better than bagwoman, I suppose!   ;D)

Roger, that info. above was cool.  (That would be cool to see a picture of that.) Makes perfect sense--That's pretty much the same deal with modern gigs---play music and attract customers to come inside and buy food and drinks.   ;D

So, we can say then that we've established drumming as one of the oldest sales and marketing techniques. ;D

If any of you watch "The Apprentice", you may be able to think of some times when the contestants were challenged to "drum up" business on the streets of New York.  While it occurred to me on several occasions to have live musicians attracting attention, it never seemed to enter the minds of the contestants ---rather they used megaphones, etc..  

Offline nudrum

• Cafe VIP
  • A man and his cymbalta
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 06:51 AM »
Call me "Candyman"
Enjoying a resurgence in jazz gigs.

Offline Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

• Cafe VIP
The word "drummer".
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Its funny though, why not drummist. Everyone else is guitarist, bassist, flautist, etc. Only singers are "er's" and I'm guessing its because they aren't playing anything. From now on I'm a Drummist!
Now let's go out there and melt some faces!

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
The word "drummer".
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Perhaps the definition comes from the phrase "drumming up business". If you are a salesman, you are drumming or stirring up sales.

Just a thought.

Offline Shane Stylianos

• VIP / Subscriber
  • You only have to be better than you were yesterday
The word "drummer".
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 10:57 AM »
Its funny though, why not drummist. Everyone else is guitarist, bassist, flautist, etc. Only singers are "er's" and I'm guessing its because they aren't playing anything. From now on I'm a Drummist!

Percussionist?
"If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can't be solved." Zen Proverb

chefdoug

The word "drummer".
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 11:14 AM »

Kinda hard to say Guitarer :P

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram