Topic: What things that guitar players do, really bugs you?  (Read 19320 times)

gifford1986

Re:What things that guitar players do, really bugs you?
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31 PM »
when they don't keep track of how many times they play a riff, or when they don't even listen to the drums and get off....

mississippithunder

What things that guitar players do, really bugs you?
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2006, 09:41 AM »
play to loud
not help with my gear
sit around and do nothing in sound check
thinking their better than everyone else cause their standing up front on the stage. ;D

xthenervouslightx

What things that guitar players do, really bugs you?
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I haven't seen this problem brought up much but have any of you had a guirtarist with fast fingers that would shred constinatly? I mean not just during whole songs but while the rest of the band tried to talk? It gets old real fast man. That and being arrogant *&%*&s. Most of what I've dealt with in the presence of guitarist is their maturity level, or rather the lack of maturity at all.

The last practice I had with a metalcore band, when I was a vocalist, went a little something like this:

I had brought a girl with me to practice since I had to give her a ride to somewhere afterwards. She was a pianist and also played percussion (marimba, hand percussion and such) so in the writting of a new song she made a suggestion to the lead guitarist based on the scale he was using for the solo and mentioned that two beats of silence in a section of the song would sound pretty cool before breaking into a breakdown. She made it clear to everyone that it was only a suggestion, but the next thing you know we're having a band meeting about whether or not women are allowed to the practice. (God forbid a woman could have a better understanding of the feeling of a hardcore song than men) The bassist, drummer, and I had no problem with her and thought that her suggestions sounded good. The guitarists however both felt threated.

The rythm section and I just decided the argument was a joke and we just wanted to rock. So without the guitarists we went back to play our songs. Next thing you know while we were  recording a song (with a crappy a-track we used just to hear what we sounded like) one, or both (I couldn't tell since the lead guitarist felt that he should have his volume three times as loud as the rest of the band), of the guitarist(s) were playing something completely different. Shredding or doing whatever that just cut our usual two-three hour practice to about an hour and a half.

How about that man?

That'd be like a fellow percussionist comes up to me and suggests that instead of filling I should hold back and play with more musicality. No I think I'll just do a little Rich style solo so I can piss you off.

It goes for all stuck up musicians who think they are better than everyone else. I wish they'd get over themselves! Anyways, my rant is over.

Offline Matt Self (Gaddabout)

• Cafe VIP
    • My Space
Re: What things that guitar players do, really bugs you?
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2006, 03:47 PM »
I joke about young drummers needing to be taught that guitarists aren't our friends, but it's just a joke. Truth is, guitarists, by and large, are no more egomaniacal than any given group of drummers. There are plenty of drummers out there giving us a bad reputation.

I do have one issue with some guitarists, although I think I've only played with one of these types, and it was in a worship band -- I didn't really have room to correct the issue. It is really annoying to the rest of the music listening world when guitarists who idolize Stevie Ray Vaughn think they need to play an homage to Stevie in every solo.

Now, there's nothing wrong with putting Stevie on a pedstal. He was a great blues guitarist. But in most situations, I'd much rather here an homage to Steve Lukather or Larry Carlton, something melodic, something thoughtful, something that fits in with the stinkin' song.

This is just like drummers who insist on playing over the bar on every fill, particularly irritating when done in the transition from the last bar of the verse to the first bar of the chorus. Or using commercial wedges to pry loose space for their latest learned Gadd trick. I say save that stuff for when you're a vested member of Karizma, or Pat Metheny is giving you "the look" on stage to take off on the vamp. I think it's great that so many drummers are getting into the Weckl books, but you never heard Weckl play complex 32nd-note passages into the keyboard bridge on Madonna's Like a Virgin. Funny thing, even a young Weckl (and presumably the producer) considered that inappropriate.

I think what this thread is begging for is a musician's code of conduct policy:

- The Golden Rule applies on stage as it does off
- No guitarist/drummer/bassist/singer/keyboardist/horn player/whatever is an island
- No matter where you stand on stage, always strive to make good music.
Odd meter isn't broken. It doesn't need to be fixed. - David Crigger

Jon

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2006, 03:52 PM »
My guys are never ready for the next song.I'm ready to click in and have to wait for them to tune after every song or one will play a tune not relative to our song list while the others are tuning or the infamous cigarette/drink fix.And of course they have an excuse for their unprofessionalism.......

karkus30

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2006, 03:15 AM »
LOL at all those things. Im in my first band and about 8 months ago we collectively sacked the lead guitarist. Now Im in control ;D and if they dont do it right I shout, next is broken drum sticks and if they still ignore my stern commands theres always ..........the mallets  :o ;D

Offline Mark Counts

• Cafe VIP
  • It is OK to be a little Nutz!!!
    • Mark T. Counts
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2006, 11:16 PM »
I do not have a shortage of good guitar players here to worry about it.  They are all good and all of them have their own sound and style, just like we do.  I do believe if you have a drinking guitar player, you will have disagreements that should not have happen.  Expecially when you are the lead vocalist too.  It becomes like, compete for the spot light to them.
The ones that are the most humble seem to work the best and some of the most humble are some of the best..
                                            Nutty
I love The Cafe. "God First". If there is music today, it is a great day".
"Tama Star Classics and Paiste cymbals for ever" !!!

dempseykraft

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2006, 01:00 AM »
You guys make a lot of great points that I agree with.

At every gig we play, my lead singer/guitar player always sets up his amp immediately and starts playing really loudly (without helping carry in anyone else's equipment) while the rest of us are still setting up.

stickers

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2006, 06:54 PM »
In general, I hate bands that noodle *without purpose before their sets.

*without purpose meaning not getting level or sounds and just playing to be heard by people in the audience...and they think...LOOK AT ME, IM ON A STAGE, AND PLAYING MY INSTRUEMENT.

Offline Riker

• Silver Member
  • Please listen to MY RECORDING on my profile info.
    • MY RECORDING!
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I can play guitar, but when I would, I'd always want the drummer to be louder.  That's why back in the 1950s when guitar amps were made to not go louder than acoustic percussion!  Hint hint!  Dynamic range is the key!

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram