• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Don't quit your day job

Started by chillman4130, March 29, 2006, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diddle

Electronics engineer by profession, dabble in real estate investments on the side, and teach drums part-time.  I would prefer a job like Felix's, though...

I play drums almost every Sat night at church and sometimes two services on Sunday morning.  I love contemporary Christian music and it's very challenging with the all the breaks, tempo changes, and dynamics.

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

Quote from: JamesC on March 30, 2006, 01:49 PM

I love those moments in life - where some group of people gets to see you in a totally different way.  Awesome.

Yeah, when you feel liking walking up to someone and saying, "I had no idea you were cool" ;D

Rick

I'm a steel rule die maker. I also originate mortgage loans on the side.

Larry Lawless

OK, I repent of my former flippant post.

I am a full time percussion instructor in a Texas high school. I also write music, and still perform occasionally. Currently working on CD recording project.

At one time (before marriage and kids), I supported myself solely as a professional (American Federation of Musicians Local 463) everything from Symphony Orchestra to jazz combo to rock bands to country bands to marimba ensemble. Whatever put beans on the table.

And I don't have 15 kids, only 5.

Mark Schlipper

Creative geek.   I work for an ecommerce site in their product imaging department.   Meaning I deal with photos of products, not site graphics.   And Im a general problem solver for the department.   I do some Photoshop work, some coding, some "project management", answer a lot of emails, etc.   So I'm not really a programmer and I'm not really a graphic designer, but I do some of each to a lesser extent than what people with those titles actually do.  

TMan324

im a junior high student been working there 10 years now

Robyn

I'm also a billionaire, like felix ::)

No really, former operating room nurse, now a stay-at-home mom and  mini-farmer. I like growing my own food ;D

robyn

drumz1

Quote from: HDT on March 30, 2006, 11:49 AM
CAD drafter, construction permit writer, and environmental report writer for a telephone engineering company based out of Oklahoma City.  I live in Springfield, MO and drive about 25 minute each day, back & forth (not a bad commute) to Ozark, MO, where our office is located.  These days, I'm strictly a basement drummer, but that is soon to change! ;) 8) (hopefully)

Wow, we are located pretty close to each other.  I'm a pro musician, play in a Branson, MO show, made a 40 year career out of it somehow.  Not smart enough to be an engineer, but certainly smart enough keep it in the pocket, give the music a good groove, and most of all, keep the gig I have.

At my age, that's really important.

Regards,
drumz1

Feej

Licensing and Compliance - Microsoft

DFresh

I manage contracts with home health agencies that receive state funding to provide in-home care service to the elderly and persons living with disabilities.  The funding helps people live in the community and avoid/postpone having to live in nursing homes.

My job is to make sure the home health agencies are doing a good job and delivering services as they should be and are getting paid to do.

I'm passionate about playing my kit with the band at my church.  The music format is very contemporary (not sure that's the right word or not)....David Crowder Band, Chris Tomlin, etc.  Several times a year we will go out and play events and go in to the local prisons to play and serve people.

David Aldridge

Hmmm... how to make my job sound all important and stuff...  Oooh - Senior Electronic Entertainment Software Engineer.  ("Computer games programmer" will do as well ;D)

Nathan Cartier

I'm a Marine Biologist working at Mystic Marinelife Aquarium here in CT as an Educator and Alligator wrangler (they're 9 month-old babies, but it sounds cool, don't it?)

Nate

Dave Heim

Quote from: Nathan on March 31, 2006, 09:06 AM
I'm a Marine Biologist working at Mystic Marinelife Aquarium here in CT as an Educator and Alligator wrangler (they're 9 month-old babies, but it sounds cool, don't it?)

Nate

My son would love to hang with you.  He's just about 7 and he wants to be a Marine Biologist.  His room is covered with dolphin posters.  And, yeah, it does sound cool!

Mark Counts

An Industrial Electronic Technician for a top 500 company that does printing and laminating and extruding. Been with them about 10 years. PLC's,Drives,Motors, ect.
                                 Nutty

johndurg

Video Editor and Animator for Fuse.  It's a music video channel, like MTV, but we actually play music videos.

DougB

Quote from: diddle on March 30, 2006, 01:57 PM

I play drums almost every Sat night at church and sometimes two services on Sunday morning.  I love contemporary Christian music and it's very challenging with the all the breaks, tempo changes, and dynamics.

Ditto for me.

I make a living as a senior project manager for a civil engineering consulting firm.  I've been with the same company since graduating college in 1983.

mudpuppy

Hey James and Shoeless- it gets more interesting considering that... 1. I am 53 years old and... 2. Have worked in as a Principal in the same school district for the last 27 years and... 3. Play in local clubs where... 4. I have run into parents of my current students as well as... 5. Former students who have grown up! This gets even more wierd when you consider our song list which includes the likes of Hash Pipe, Small Things, Blister in the Sun, and the like. People really get a kick out of it and so do I. ;D
mp

DWdrmr

I"m what is known in the beer trade as a "brewer"....a person that is involved in brewing, yeasting, cooling, filtering, pumping from one tank to another and generally supplying can and bottle lines with "our fine product"...in short, the guy that makes the golden brew that evokes such comments as..."ahh, that's good stuff".. :D  It has definitely paid the bills.
On the side, at the moment, I play in two bands..one a wedding/ corporate/upscale bar cover band. The other an original heavy metal band that plays the regular dives associated with that venue. I've played off and on for about 20 years.

SheldonWhite

I'm a secret agent during the week, drummer on the weekend.
Unfortunately, I shouldn't have posted this. Now I'm going to have to kill you all. :)
Actually, I'm a software engineer. If you have a Cingular cellphone, you can see the results of my work.

Todd Norris

Quote from: DRWM on March 30, 2006, 11:15 AM
I think I have the most exciting job listed so far.... are you ready........

I'm an Insurance Salesman!  

I've finally made it.  It's been my life's dream.  I'm so happy to be here.  

No not really, but at least it pays the bills.  ;)

Whew!  Thankfully I don't have the dullest job here!  Just kiddin' DRWM!

And a big CIP/OFAC hello to fellow banker BigBillinBoston!