Topic: Experienced Drummers Please Read  (Read 1608 times)

GoodApollo

Experienced Drummers Please Read
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Hello, I am new hear but have looked around a little and I like the community.

Ok let me get to the point. I have a school project to do. It is a career project in which you interview someone to learn about their career. I am a sophomore in highschool and have just begun to think of my future and the possibility of drums in it.

It would be a great help to me if I could find an experienced drummer who has played in many different musical environments such as a small band or an orchestra.

The interview would be through email with just a list of questions that are mostly stuctured around the project. I don't think much of your time would be taken up and it would help me a lot.

So if there is anyone out there that could help me please post and leave your email address or send me an email.

GoodApollo

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Ok since there is only one person who answered me and I am still waiting for his email back, I will take his advice and try to get as many different perspectives as possible. The Questions are posted below. They are numbered so you can answer in the thread instead of emailing me. Just put the number of the question and then your answer. Before you post your answers please put your name and what your experience is. Thanks.

1) On a typical day what do you do?

2) What personal qualities or abilities are important to being successful in this job?

3) What part of this job do you find most satisfying? Most challenging?

4) How did you get the job that you currently have?

5) What is the best way to learn as much as possible about drumming as a profession?

6) What different salary changes have you made as a drummer? You don't have to be specific.

7)How do you see drumming changing in the future as a profession? Do you think they will be replaced by machines?

8) Is there a demand for people in this occupation?

9) What special advice would you give a person entering this field?

10) What are the main things you need to get into this field?

11) From your perspective what are the problems you see working in this field.

12) If you could do things all over again would you choose the same path for yourself? Why? What would you change?

13) What is your favorite part of your job?

14) What made you want to become a drummer?

Offline Bart Elliott

• Chef de Cuisine
  • Founder & owner of DrummerCafe.com
    • bartelliott
    • bartelliott
    • w w w . B a r t E l l i o t t . c o m
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:36 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've done this type of thing for students. I love to help, but please know that this takes a lot of time to answer ... and many of us simply don't have the time.

All I'm trying to say is don't get frustrated if you don't get responses.  8) Those that can and want to respond ... will.

Offline Louis Russell

• Honorary VIP
  • Will Drum for BBQ
    • Retired Pilot Examiner
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:14 PM »
What type of school project are you working on?  I haven't played out much the past year or so but I was very active before that.  I have been busier than a one armed farmer with a heard of six-titted cows recently but will work on your questionnaire in the next few days.  In the meantime, relax and enjoy the Cafe.  
No one will believe it's the "Blues" if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it last night!

GoodApollo

Re:Experienced Drummers Please Read
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 12:49 PM »
The project is to help you decide what you might want to do to make a living in the future. I have always liked drumming and would like to learn as much as I can about career possibilites involving drums. Thank you for the responses any information will help.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 06:33 PM »
I responded via PM.  Good luck with the project.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

GoodApollo

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 09:44 PM »
Thank you very much Dave, your response is greatly appreciated.

Apollo

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Wonder where you got the inspiration for your user name from GoodApollo.....
Heh.
Sorry that survey is a bit lengthy

GoodApollo

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I got my username from Coheed and Cambria's cd "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 1: From Fear Through The Eye of Madness"

GoodApollo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 07:09 PM »
I would just like to let everyone know that my project is complete. Thankyou to all the people who contributed and this thread is no longer needed.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram