• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

just for fun: favorite drum intros

Started by Mister Acrolite, October 24, 2002, 07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

As cool as Porcaro's intro to Toto's "Rosanna" was, I think I still have to go with Don Brewer's intro to Grand Funk's "We're an American Band." Even after all these years, I love to hear it, and I love to play it!

Any other faves?

felix

Where Eagles Dare- Iron Maiden
When the Levee Breaks- Led Zep
The Crunge- Led Zep
Take 5 - Dave Brubeck
La Grange- ZZ Top
50 Ways- Paul Simon
Don't Care any More- Phil Collins

Those are a few that hit me.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: felix on October 24, 2002, 08:08 AM
Where Eagles Dare- Iron Maiden
When the Levee Breaks- Led Zep
The Crunge- Led Zep
Take 5 - Dave Brubeck
La Grange- ZZ Top
50 Ways- Paul Simon
Don't Care any More- Phil Collins
Those are a few that hit me.

Nice ones!

When the Levee Breaks is one of the heaviest grooves EVER - anybody who doesn't dig Bonham should try to play that groove with the same intensity, sound, and feel.

And La Grange - one of the joys of playing in cover  bands!

50 Ways is a gimme - I've already got a Steve Gadd tattoo on my left butt cheek, so I figure I've paid him homage enough :)

Critter29

Top 5: (In no certain order of appreciation)

1. Bang A Gong - The Power Station - Tony Thompson
2. Mama Help Me - Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - Matt Chamberlain
3. Precious Things(Live) - Tori Amos - To Venus & Back - Matt Chamberlain
4. Spirits in the Material World - The Police - Stewart Copeland
5. When the Levee Breaks - John Bonham

agogobil

Ice Cream Cakes - Jeff Beck Group/Jeff Beck Group

Got The Feeling - Jeff Beck Group/Rough and Ready

Led Boots - Jeff Beck/Wired

Cold, Cold, Cold - Little Feat/Sailin' Shoes

Pursuance - John Coltrane/A Love Supreme

chefdoug

Peanuts- Police/Stewart Copeland

Spreading the Disease- Queensryche

Over the mountain- Ozzy Osbourne(I know it's a cliche intro but, cool nonetheless)

One Little Victory- Neil Peart/Rush

Mama help me- Edie Brickel and New Bohemians(I know it's been said already but @$%#....what a cool intro and even cooler groove)

And for good measure....
The Hawaii Five-O theme ;D, if you listen, it's almost the same thing as my first selection,Peanuts, by the Police only slower. Kinda funny :D :)

chefdoug

Also,

No Time This Time- Police

Time- Pink Floyd (not the clocks and stuff but the cool guitar and drum stuff before the song kicks in)

Heavy Duty Judy- Chad Wackerman on Zappa's The Best Band you Never Heard in your Life.

gdawson44

"Lands End" - Siouxsie and the Banshees
(Budgie is so underrated it makes me sick)

"Whip It" by Devo
(Meyers is underrated also, practically a metronome.  This dumb, simple beat always fills me with anticipation for that upcoming Moog riff)

"Rhythym Of The Heat" by Peter Gabriel

"I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow
(Can you tell I'm stuck in the 80's?)

"Digital Man" by Rush

"Pure" by Golden Palominos

"We Destroy The Family" by Fear
(Spit Stix - this guy is a machine)

"Ted, Just Admit It" by Jane's Addiction

I'm sure I could think of a million more.....

sidereal

There are millions I could name, but I'll just go with my personal favorite: Phil Collins' intro to the song "Ace of Wands" -- the first song on Steve Hackett's first solo album "Voyage of the Acolyte."

Anyone who thinks Phil's just a pop singer should give a good listen to that song.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: sidereal on October 24, 2002, 06:11 PMAnyone who thinks Phil's just a pop singer should give a good listen to that song.

the gabriel era genesis stuff is cool.  when he left he shouldve usurped the vocalist spot from jon anderson in yes :)  

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: sidereal on October 24, 2002, 06:11 PM
There are millions I could name, but I'll just go with my personal favorite: Phil Collins' intro to the song "Ace of Wands" -- the first song on Steve Hackett's first solo album "Voyage of the Acolyte."

Voyage of the Acrolite? Wow - I gotta get that one!

What's that?

Oh.

Acolyte.

Never mind.

:)

Sean Welch

Quote from: gdawson44 on October 24, 2002, 05:36 PM
Meyers is underrated also, practically a metronome.  

Funny you say that, he's actually referred to as "the human metronome".

8)

dthree

Not sure why, but I've always liked the 1/2 bar intro for "Just Like Heaven" by the Cure.

"Give it away" RHCP, a classic IMHO

"What you need" INXS, probably more for nostalgic reasons.

I was going to mention the Tori Amos track, there is some really good playing on that cd. Beat me to it.

"Duende" by black light syndrome. The call and response between the drums and guitar is pretty creative.

"Hold on" by Yes. Yeah, I know White sounds like Pocaro here, but anyone would sound like him if you play a shuffle RIGHT.

The one that leaves me with the most anticipation, though, which is a very good way to start a bombastic guitar song is "Non-Brewed Condiment" by Alan Holdsworth. I saw AH once and they opened with this song. Chad Wackerman was on drums although he doesn't play this song on the CD, Atavachron. I can't find the cd to check.

d3  `-{>

Scheming Demon

Some very cool selections.  I would add Painkillers by Judas Priest to the list.

guitarizt

felix

"rock n' roll" from Led Zep

forgot about that one

Thrak

"Digital Man"
"the professor"
RUSH signals

This intro is also one of my favorites to play on a new set as a "test fire"

Thrak

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: felix on October 25, 2002, 06:59 AM
"rock n' roll" from Led Zep

forgot about that one

Another good one, and the source of one of my pet peeves. In bar bands, I almost NEVER hear the drummer play it correctly. They usually modify it so that the first note falls on "1" - either because they can't figure it out, or to help their bandmates find "1." Either way, it's cheating, in my book.

Play it like a man - start on the "and" of "3" like John did!  >:(

tommy

felix

It's a toughie...I never played it right till I went to MI and lo and behold there it was, notated for me in rock class.

Rock n Roll truly separates the men from the boys.  LOL